Will jj's & mason jars sell w/ the stock lid? Do you have to buy fancy lids?

I'm just wondering, do you really have to spend the extra money to buy fancy lids for your jj's and mason jars? Do they sell with the stock silver-tone lid that they come with from Ball or Kerr? The fancy lids seem to raise the cost so much, just wondering if people will buy them with the stock lid that they come with from the store. TIA

Do you mean the 2 piece lid and jar? I doubt customers give a care, but I bet the combo is so much more valuable (Sustainable) since you can reuse for canning, etc. The pewter tops I use are not air, liquid, or canning safe.

Yes, the 2 piece lid that comes with the jar. I wonder if they really can reuse them for canning after they've been subjected to the heat of a flame? If they can, that's great! But, when I use the Red Permatex to attach the wick to the bottom, the wick tab can't be removed. If there's a way to remove that, please let me know somebody.

I meant the jelly jars using standard lids and caps; no savvy saver could throw that away; I dishwash and reuse ours all the time. Sorry for the confusion. I buy glass and lids separate so that some multi-task.

Yes, that's what I mean by "stock lid," the standard lids and caps. So, you're saying they can reuse the lids even if they can't reuse the jar, right?

Yes, the 2 piece lid that comes with the jar. I wonder if they really can reuse them for canning after they've been subjected to the heat of a flame? If they can, that's great! But, when I use the Red Permatex to attach the wick to the bottom, the wick tab can't be removed. If there's a way to remove that, please let me know somebody.

The red permeated is the high heat strength or something if I remember right.

Wow.

Why do you use that?

The wick stickums from BC are great, simpe, easy, and no mess.

I can get the 16 oz jelly jars at my local supplier with the fancy lids on them for $10.50/12, but I really don't care for the jars. I like the square Mason's way better, but they are pricier, because I have to have them shipped. For now, I'm sticking with the jj, until I get the Anchor Country Comfort jar completely tested, then I'll switch to that one. Maybe, I'm sure I'll change my mind again!

I sell mine with the stock lid and nobody has cared so far or at least that I know of. I agree with B, being able to reuse the jar is a plus since many of my customers do can or like me, make freezer jams. I use the Scotch Permanent Heavy Duty Mounting Tape and I have never had a wick come loose yet. You do need to scrub a little to get all of it off when the candle is done, but it does come off.

If I am giving the candle as a gift, I put a square piece of fabric under the ring (usually some kind of plaid flannel) and tie a brown paper tag with info around the lid with twine.

I sell mine with the stock lid and nobody has cared so far or at least that I know of. I agree with B, being able to reuse the jar is a plus since many of my customers do can or like me, make freezer jams. I use the Scotch Permanent Heavy Duty Mounting Tape and I have never had a wick come loose yet. You do need to scrub a little to get all of it off when the candle is done, but it does come off.

If I am giving the candle as a gift, I put a square piece of fabric under the ring (usually some kind of plaid flannel) and tie a brown paper tag with info around the lid with twine.

Wow! I've never heard of anyone using that tape to attach wicks before, that's very interesting. Thanks! I'll Google it. So, I guess you have to cut that tape into little pieces that will fit under the wick tab, right? I wonder if there's a risk of the wick continuing to suck wax through a tiny gap between the tape and the tab, and I can't remember what the danger of that is.

The red permeated is the high heat strength or something if I remember right.

Wow.

Why do you use that?

The wick stickums from BC are great, simpe, easy, and no mess.

I use the Red Permatex Hi Temp Silicone Gasket Sealer from the auto supply because the consensus here is that it's the only thing that passes torture tests 100% of the time because it never comes loose or allows the wick to continue sucking wax. I use a pea-size dab, but I could probably use less. I wish I could use the wick stickums because they seem easier, but the Permatex is not a problem to use, it's very easy also.

I print out little circles that fit under the ring part of the lid, and over the cap part of the lid. I put the name of the candle on the circle. It makes it easy and quick to find a certain "flavor" when they are packed in their boxes, then I use the canning label that comes with the jars to write the name again on the front.

No one has questioned the two part lid so far. I did try gluing them together, but so far nothing will stick them together that doesn't come apart when you twist the cap off.

I print out little circles that fit under the ring part of the lid, and over the cap part of the lid. I put the name of the candle on the circle. It makes it easy and quick to find a certain "flavor" when they are packed in their boxes, then I use the canning label that comes with the jars to write the name again on the front.

No one has questioned the two part lid so far. I did try gluing them together, but so far nothing will stick them together that doesn't come apart when you twist the cap off.

Sounds good! I don't want to glue the cap and ring together, I like it when they're in two pieces because there's some authentic country charm in that.

Wow! I've never heard of anyone using that tape to attach wicks before, that's very interesting. Thanks! I'll Google it. So, I guess you have to cut that tape into little pieces that will fit under the wick tab, right? I wonder if there's a risk of the wick continuing to suck wax through a tiny gap between the tape and the tab, and I can't remember what the danger of that is.

I can't take the credit, I learned about it on here. Yes, you cut them into little squares. I've never heard of the wick sucking wax thing, do you have a link? There is a little gap, but I think the wick is sealed by the tape. I'm off to search for the info too.

I started with the quilted 8 oz jj and used a round label with all the information on the round lid section and then placed the ring over the top to screw it on. Later, I switched to the smooth sided jj and used the cutom lid and labeled the jar. Eventually, ALL my customers requested that I stop using jj because they looked cheap. I went through the Crisa tumblers from Mexico with the pewter lid; until that changed and finally use the 12 oz salsa jar with the gold lid. Straight up and down (not fluted) jj are sometimes difficult to find (made in China) and the whole thing becomes as expensive as other similar jars. I have some country comfort jars in the shop now that will never get used, because they are a hassle to wick and they are too expensive. None of my customers like the plastic fit top lids (too hard to get them off) so the twist top lug has been the best choice. HTH

Steve

I use double sided 3M squares. Each square cuts into 8 stickers and are 100% reliable and come off with soap and water and a little scraping. They keep the wick assembly (when placed over the bottom hole) from absorbing wax and they are cheap. There are four squares per sheet (32 candles). HTH

get?bid=YEbDa89altO6jA&bn=CC&fbid=7wIR63%2bClmj%2b0A&fbn=CC

Edited by chuck_35550

I started with the quilted 8 oz jj and used a round label with all the information on the round lid section and then placed the ring over the top to screw it on. Later, I switched to the smooth sided jj and used the cutom lid and labeled the jar. Eventually, ALL my customers requested that I stop using jj because they looked cheap. I went through the Crisa tumblers from Mexico with the pewter lid; until that changed and finally use the 12 oz salsa jar with the gold lid. Straight up and down (not fluted) jj are sometimes difficult to find (made in China) and the whole thing becomes as expensive as other similar jars. I have some country comfort jars in the shop now that will never get used, because they are a hassle to wick and they are too expensive. None of my customers like the plastic fit top lids (too hard to get them off) so the twist top lug has been the best choice. HTH

Steve

Yes, that's great info, thank you! I'm just wanting to use the Ball regular-mouth pint mason with the lid it comes with, because I can get them cheap from my local grocery store, and they will order them for me in the winter. If they will sell well with the standard lid they come with, that will be great to keep my costs down.

I could make the quilted jj's too, but not sure I want to because I like the pints better.

Edited by HorsescentS

I use double sided 3M squares. Each square cuts into 8 stickers and are 100% reliable and come off with soap and water and a little scraping. They keep the wick assembly (when placed over the bottom hole) from absorbing wax and they are cheap. There are four squares per sheet (32 candles). HTH

get?bid=YEbDa89altO6jA&bn=CC&fbid=7wIR63%2bClmj%2b0A&fbn=CC

Wow! That's great! Thank you so much!

These are the Scotch Mounting Squares that Walmart carries, and they have a 5 pack for $10.75, are they the exact same as the one you use? the packaging looks a little different. Also, is that a good price? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scotch-Precut-Foam-Mounting-1-Squares-Double-Sided-Permanent-16-Squares-Pack-5-Pack/19212464#ProductDetail

The pic you posted is Scotch Foam Mounting Squares which say "Permanent" on the package, and the ones I linked to from Walmart are Scotch Permanent Mounting Squares, so I guess they're different. I'll look for the Foam ones like you posted.

Edited by HorsescentS

You can find these in two different sizesaat my wally world. One box has about 20 or so and is in the paint section (it also comes on a roll) The other siz is about half that and its in the student/school supply area. They run about $3.00 to $5.00 depending. They are permanent but will come off your jars with a little scrubbing. I cut up however many will be necessary for the number of jars and attatch to the bottom of the wick assembly. I pull a jar out and wick it by running the wick through the empty barrell of a pen or in my case the barrell that covered a meat thermometer. I use craft sticks with a hole drilled in the middle and place on top of the jar and run my wick through the hole and use one of those black metal clips (clips papers together) and set in the cooling box. I pull those wicks really tight to make sure that I got a good hold on the jar and rarely have one detatch. It sounds like a lot of steps and work but actually its not. HTH

Steve

You can find these in two different sizesaat my wally world. One box has about 20 or so and is in the paint section (it also comes on a roll) The other siz is about half that and its in the student/school supply area. They run about $3.00 to $5.00 depending. They are permanent but will come off your jars with a little scrubbing. I cut up however many will be necessary for the number of jars and attatch to the bottom of the wick assembly. I pull a jar out and wick it by running the wick through the empty barrell of a pen or in my case the barrell that covered a meat thermometer. I use craft sticks with a hole drilled in the middle and place on top of the jar and run my wick through the hole and use one of those black metal clips (clips papers together) and set in the cooling box. I pull those wicks really tight to make sure that I got a good hold on the jar and rarely have one detatch. It sounds like a lot of steps and work but actually its not. HTH

Steve

Thanks, Steve! I'll check the paint section in my wally world. I use the barrell that covers my meat thermometer too. I've never tried cooling in a box, though. I've been thinking about trying that too.

I wick my jars before I warm them up in the oven so all I have to do is take them out and pour into them, sounds like the foam mounting thingies will hold up fine in an oven heated to 170.