Is this a good price for Emu Oil?

SunshineSundries

I've used emu oil before but never knew the grade nor what the grades all mean in reference to what works best in soaps (both MP and CP). :rolleyes2 Basically I just tinkered. :smiley2: Anyway, I found a local Emu farm and this is what they quoted me:

"We offer AOCS confirmed and AEA Certified Grade A emu oil 16 oz at $105 retail and 128 oz at $285."

So is this a good price?? All I can really find online is stuff from actual emu producers and I take all that with a grain of salt... :tiptoe: I won't have shipping because I go up to that area about once a month and the extra gas to drive that little bit is minimal (maybe $5).

If anyone has a reliable source for info on this or even a site that plays out the opposite of what the emu oil sites say so I can get both sides of the story, that would be awesome too...

TIA for any info you can share...

Tish

No. It is pretty high in my opinion.

www.landofmilkhoney.net

I have also purchased from Simon's co=ops at a higher price than land of milk and honey but way less than your source.. His oil is processed in Oklahoma but I can't remember the site at this time. I have had good luck with the land of milk and honey emu oil. I buy about 3 gallons a year and keep refrigerated.

Edited by adillenal

Land of Milk and Honey has their Emu Oil on sale now for $89.99 a gallon including the extra $16.95 for shipping - Total of $106.94. That's really reasonable. That's roughly $13.44 for 16 oz. Only wish I needed a whole gallon?

Edited by Toni S.

MVC-113S.jpg

I don’t want to be gross here, but be careful with the emu oil from Milk and Honey... It is full of blood. Too many proteins and bacteria. You want the peroxide value to be about .2-.3 not .5-1.0. You need to refine it, if you have received some from there. Most emu farms will carry soap oils for about $125.00 a gallon.

Edited by van_yulay

Yes I have all new oil tested and as you can see from the picture, I refine it one more time with a full proof method and that blood you see in that pan is what was left over from me refining it from milk and honey. I contacted them and they said, that is how there oil is. Return it , if you dont like it. Unless you have tested it you wont find it. In soap it probably wont be a problem. But in lotion you will get mold. You can not see the blood in it, by looking at it. Also, if you look at the data sheet, most peroxide levels of emu oil should be about .1-.3 , Not .5-1.0Z

Edited by van_yulay

MVC-113S.jpg

I don’t want to be gross here, but be careful with the emu oil from Milk and Honey... It is full of blood. Too many proteins and bacteria. You want the peroxide value to be about .2-.3 not .5-1.0. You need to refine it, if you have received some from there. Most emu farms will carry soap oils for about $125.00 a gallon.

So where do you get yours from. I need some more but I only find it for $125 for 32oz from the last place I got some from.

I have a contact for simon caleb. simon@simoncaleb.com

He is in CA but the emu oil comes from a plant in OK so the shipping was not bad for me since I am in Texas. I have been using this oil for goat milk lotions for the past 3 years with no problems. I bought the first Simon emu oil in a coop and was pleased with the product. He does not always have oil available though.

I can also buy it from a couple of local emu producers but it is much higher in price per gallon so even with shipping, Caleb's emu oil is less expensive. Even though all of it is processed at the same plant in OK.

I also have the land of milk and honey emu oil that I use for personal use straight from the container. I store it in the refrigerator so have not detected any problems. I buy a at least a gallon a year for my use as well as other family members. So the quality is not that big of an issue for me.

It depends on what you are going to do with it. I could not bring myself to make soap with simon's emu oil but I do make some with the land of milk and honey due to the price.

Personally I would not waste presious emu oil in soap. Soap will destroy the vitamins and healing benefits that you get from the oil. Luxury oils like these are best applied diretly to the skin by themselves or in a lotion, so they stay on the skin and are allowed to absorb fully to do their work.

I would take Van Yulay's advise on the quality of the oil, she makes an AWESOME Emu oil lotion that I just cant duplicate.

Edited by Carriegsxr6

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Carrie.. I appreciate that. I want to let people know , I just got done testing emu oil from "Land of Milk and Honey" and there is not only bacteria in it by E.Coli... Yikes. Anyone useing this should test their emu oil.

I am on the search for a new supplier. I had emu oil on "Bank" with my Refinery.. But due to the economy.. they closed.. Crap , right. So I have been tesing and no one comes close to the oil I produced. I just can't do that rodeo anymore. I just got samples from Renu... only 175.00 gallon but it reked.... I mean I almost threw up.. WOW.. how would people send that out the door, really.

Anyone out there that knows where I can get emu oil at wholesale pricing. I buy useally 10 gallons at a time. I would appreciate it. The peroxide vaule needs to be .1-.3 ..

Thanks in advance

Don't be grossed out. If the emu oil is refined well and proper there should be no protiens in the oil. I did buy the 10 gallons of oil from simon. He gets his oil refined at EPMI , Which is well respected.. I am so happy...My father will pick it up hopefully for me in San Fransisco on Wed..... Knowing your oils is the key. Yipie.

Edited by van_yulay