For the future...

Grungedoll

So, I’m still a ways now from starting up my business- still much testing to be done and candles to be made. I’m probably getting really ahead of myself right now.... but being a person who likes to think ahead and try to get my ducks in a row- here I am!

Theres so much to take in when thinking into the future- from LLCs, liability insurance, business licenses, trademarking, etc, etc... I would love to have something like a.... “mentor”? I’ve done so much reading on all of these things but maybe if someone could just help me put this all in order so I can figure out more of what I personally NEED in a business plan... what are actual things I NEED to do for my size business and what I don’t (for example: do you need a business license when you’re just in the very beginning stages of selling with such sporadic purchases while getting yourself known? Is trademarking my name really something I should be concerned about?) The questions/concerns are endless. I’m also curious what I’m looking at as the best choices for these things so I could get my finances in place for it. Saving for all of this is one of the many things forefront in my mind and I feel like someone who’s done all this already could help get me on the right track.

So there you have it. If anyone’s interested in being a mentor or just wants to give me some input, please feel free. Haha.

1 hour ago, Grungedoll said:

What are actual things I NEED to do for my size business and what I don’t (for example: do you need a business license when you’re just in the very beginning stages of selling with such sporadic purchases while getting yourself known? Is trademarking my name really something I should be concerned about?) The questions/concerns are endless. I’m also curious what I’m looking at as the best choices for these things so I could get my finances in place for it. Saving for all of this is one of the many things forefront in my mind and I feel like someone who’s done all this already could help get me on the right track.

When it comes to doing business, and having licence, is subject to the state you live/sell from. For example in VA you are allowed to actually sale up to a certain amount without having licence, but I don't think many states do that.

I have never done a LLC before, but I know their is a lot of info and links on this forum already that should be a lot of help,. If you have the money, or just don't want to do all the legwork at lot of people use Legal Zoom to setup a LLC. However filling all the paper work out yourself is always going to be cheaper, but not easier. 

• Like 1

A good place to start is by checking out the Small Business Administration https://www.sba.gov/

Find your local affiliate office and give them a call. Make an appointment. They can help you with all you need to know about starting up a business in your area; where to file, getting a license, choosing a business entity, etc. Mine had really cheap classes in the evening at the local University. Some of them were even free.

For tax information visit your state department of taxation. You can register there for free for a tax ID number. You can also find out how much you can sell for before you need a license.

• Like 1

I’ll be checking into the minimum for my state. And I have been checking out legal zoom as well (they’ve been highly recommended to me) I’m definitely keeping it in mind! @Tokoo

@Candybee you’re always so helpful! I’ll be looking into all of that ASAP! Obviously this is going to vary... and I know it’s not going to be “cheap” by any means... but overall, did you feel getting everything all set up on your end was very expensive? What all do you have in place for your business?

6 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Cost totally depends on your state, county and city. It can vary by up to $1,000 or more. 

I knew it wouldn’t be cheap!

5 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

Depends on your state but our Tax & Fees Department in Calif holds bi-monthly seminars for new businesses.  They are primarily our sales tax division but the seminars are very broad topics on new business. 

That’s awesome! I’ll definitely see if there’s anything like that where I’m located.

You’ve all been very helpful and I’ll definitely be taking your advice.

Honestly in the meantime, if anyone’s located around IA, feel free to just point me in the direction you started! ;) or even some suggestions as far as good rates for insurance in the area, etc!

Edited by Grungedoll