Beginner Question: Is this mushrooming?

Yep that is a mushroom 

LX wicks are notorious for that not to say they are bad wicks, I personally have a love hate relationship with them and use them in votives 

based off the look of your jar your early into the burn? I would wick down a size and see if it helps - LX are flat braided cotton wicks that are supposed to slightly curl while burning which is supposed to help reduce mushrooming ( Carbon buildup) and smoking but it doesn't always work like that unless it's living in its perfect world 

what wax are you using?  that's not a horrible mushroom but if that was your first burn and you reached full melt pool I would see what a size down does 

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1

Thanks. I was afraid of that.  This was the second burn on a 16 oz Salsa Jar. IGI 4630 from The Candlemakers Store.  6% Apples and Maple Bourbon from CandleScience. And a little Evo 11 Red dye from CandleWic. The wick is LX 24. 

The silver lining is, I get to pour more wax today!  Thank you for enlightening me.

On March 12, 2018 at 11:09 AM, Reliquar said:

Thanks. I was afraid of that.  This was the second burn on a 16 oz Salsa Jar. IGI 4630 from The Candlemakers Store.  6% Apples and Maple Bourbon from CandleScience. And a little Evo 11 Red dye from CandleWic. The wick is LX 24. 

The silver lining is, I get to pour more wax today!  Thank you for enlightening me.

I love boozy type fragrances, but they always misbehave with my wicks. I use HTPs, and although I rarely have mushrooms when properly wicked, the booze scents will do it unless I cut way way back on the FO. 

Maybe that's a factor with what you have going on, with that apple and bourbon fragrance (that sounds awesome, btw). 

2 hours ago, Reliquar said:

3.5" diameter.

A puzzle for me is that it just barely makes a full pool, and yet has several signs of being over wicked. (Mushrooming, soot, large flame)  

Sounds like your wick/wax/fragrance combo needs some tweaking, like Candybee suggested. I use HTPs with a similar paraffin wax, and generally have good results. Even with that type of fragrance, if all other burn factors are on point, mushrooming is generally small and more of an aesthetic issue than a performance or safety issue. For me, anyway. 😄

Well, here is my entry for a beautiful mushroom Pam......lol

I took this picture on Nov. 18, 2007 and have saved it all these years....don't know why.....but I did.  I think at the time I DID think for a mushroom it was a biggun and real pretty.  Back then, I used to use dye in my waxes.  This wax is C3.

Trappeur

CIMG3617.thumb.jpg.496542f10fc5d796287f62119258ad99.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Sarah S said:

I love boozy type fragrances, but they always misbehave with my wicks. I use HTPs, and although I rarely have mushrooms when properly wicked, the booze scents will do it unless I cut way way back on the FO. 

Maybe that's a factor with what you have going on, with that apple and bourbon fragrance (that sounds awesome, btw). 

Sounds like your wick/wax/fragrance combo needs some tweaking, like Candybee suggested. I use HTPs with a similar paraffin wax, and generally have good results. Even with that type of fragrance, if all other burn factors are on point, mushrooming is generally small and more of an aesthetic issue than a performance or safety issue. For me, anyway. 😄

Thanks.  I'm pouring HTP testers tonight.  Also first burn on CD testers tonight.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Yep, we should do a contest with photos....I bet it would be hilarious!  I've always thought wouldn't it be neat to have a contest or just a thread showing our first candle/soap creations that we ever made.  Especially when we thought making our first creations we thought they were beautiful when in fact they werent? lol...Yep, we could show all our ugly puglies...Now I think that would be funny.

Trappeur

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Candybee said:

One day we should have a who's had the biggest mushroom contest with photos. I used to get some when I first started, especially using zincs and too much FO!! Lord those were monsters!

lol, lol I bet they were!

Trappeur