Made my first beer soap!

Candybee

After all these years I finally made my first beer soap. I didn't just make one batch, I made 4 with 2 different types beer, one ale, and one lager.

Plus I used my PVC pipe molds for the first time. I didn't have any plastic liners (thin cutting boards) to line the molds. I had some freezer wrap but decided against using it.

I made the soaps yesterday and unmolded them today with very little problem. Thanks to JC for the advice to freeze the molds for a couple hours before unmolding. The soap logs slid right out with a little nudgeing. I used the empty round aluminum beer can bottom to push on the soap end and once it got going came right out with ease.

Thanks JC for the tip!

They are really soft now and I can't wait for them to cure. I used full beer as my liquid. These soaps are test soaps for one of my wholesale account with Belle Grove Plantation in VA. They already buy my soap for their gift shop and needed something special. So I made them beer soap and used plantation wild honey from their hives.

I made:

Plantation Honey Ale  (used honey from plantation hives)

Pumpkin Lager (with pumpkin puree)

Lavender Apple Lager

Oatmeal & Almond Ale (with oatmeal)

I used and blend of Honey L Occcitane and Patchouli Honey (both from Elements) for the honey ale soap and it smells so divine I just know they are going to love it! Hope so!

• Like 2

You are welcome. I'm glad you didn't have problems unmolding. 

Did you boil or simmer the alcohol out of the beer? I know a lot of people do that, but I have never done that. I add a pinch of salt when it's liquid (about 1tsp per 12oz beer) then I freeze. When it's time to soap, I proceed as if it's frozen milk, and have never had any problems with it seizing or  anything. For me, it did get thicker faster, but not as fast as some of the FO;'s I've used before, so it's never been a problem. 

I can't wait for the cut pics!! I want to see that beer soap! My beer soaps also stay nice and light, rarely ever going dark because I always tend to use Lime EO for my beer soaps. I need to venture out more. LOL 

• Like 1

I didn't do anything to burn the alcohol off. I simply poured the beer out into a plastic pitcher and left it in the fridge overnight without a lid on. When I made my lye solution I slowly poured the lye over the stale beer and when it got too hot and started to bubble I added a few ice cubes to cool down. Next time I will freeze some or all of the beer to use instead.

All the soaps discolored to at least a light tannish color. I really don't care if they turn dark at all. I will be wrapping them in brown coffee filters and use kraft labels for them. I will take pictures of the finished soaps and post when I get the chance.

I have been working on their labels and downloaded an 18th century font to use for the text. I am still waiting on them to email me a copy of their logo to use on the labels. So not sure yet how they will turn out.

The plantation was established in 1797 so I wanted to find some 18th century fonts to use on the labels.

The pumpkin lager fragrance seperated and pooled on the top and also leaked out the bottom. What a mess! I cleaned it up but am disappointed. I used two new FOs I never used before, FB's Pumpkin Apple and BB's Pumpkin Lager. Looks like I will be looking for a new scent for that one for next time I make them.

Oh yes, forgot to add I used sodium lactate in all 4 batches. So the freezing and the SL combo worked enough for me to unmold the logs. The two I made yesterday are in the freezer right now. These are both ones I used pumpkin puree in so I think they will be very, very, soft for several days. I forgot to do a liquid discount to account for the puree. So will see in a couple hours if I can unmold them. Keep your fingers crossed for me!!

I wonder if they overheated a little bit and that's why you got the fo leakage? I know I can't insulate my beer soaps because they will volcano if I do. I usually either just let them sit on the counter, or if I'm also using an FO that heats, I'll put it in the fridge until saponification is complete. 

They didn't appear to overheat. But then I did leave them on a counter in a cool back room to saponify. I checked on each periodically and the only problem was the fragrance separation. That particular one I unmolded today and the log sides all have that distinctive ricey look. I could tell the FO was not doing well before I even poured it into the mold so no surprise there. Its a shame because the soap still smells good.

I will leave it for a day or two to harden up before I cut it. Will see then how each individual soapie looks. Hopefully they will be okay and the scent will stick. Will just have to wait and see.

But so far the rest of the batches look great. Can't wait to see how the new packaging and labels look on them!

• Like 2

Ended up having to rebatch the pumpkin soap. When I cut it there was oily fragrance in the center. Fortunately it was so soft I was able to mush it up into the crockpot with my hands. Just finished scooping it into the PVC mold. Hopefully I will have a saved soap log. Will see tomorrow once its hardened and cooled completely overnight.

• Like 1

I made these with a locally brewed ale called Truck Stop Hone Ale. Honey Pear Cider and Apple Pumpkin Cider Mixed with Creme Brûlée.

i kept out a little for the top and got glycerin rivers for the foam. All in all they came out nicely and sell,well enough. I left the Ale out for several days and shook the jar to get rid of foam. Mixed my lye in an ice bath to keep the volcano dormant. I hope to lure a couple of micro breweries into my web.😎

AB489B35-97E6-4A9C-B3FB-5533CA581AD6.jpeg

323E7387-5CE4-43F3-811D-DF1FC98147EC.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Those look awesome! Love the foam at the top.

Mine are not fancy at all. Just simple soap rounds from pale tan to medium dark in color. But they could still get darker. I have not gone to any local breweries yet. Before I spend my money on fancy beer I wanted to use some inexpensive beer first to make sure I can make it.

I am also considering asking around for some mash so I don't have to worry about the alcohol. If I can get some mash from a local brewery for a good price that would be awesome!

Edited by Candybee