Fragrance Oil and Glass Adhesion

No, i don't believe there is a correlation at all. I have wet spots in both my scented and non scented candles. It more has to do with the nature of the wax, the ambient temperature of the room, and some other factors. However, wet spots are just the nature of candles. No matter what you do to try and control or eliminate them, as soon as the atmosphere in which you had luck in eliminating them changes, they will appear/come back. 

• Like 2

It probably does have more to do with temperatures, as mentioned.

However, I did see this in regard to some waxes or some fragrance oils, so I guess in some cases, it can have an adverse effect.

Re:  CB-135, CB-Advanced Soy, CB-XceL, and PB waxes

Some fragrances can have a dramatic effect on your final candle.

They can cause frosting – a lumpy surface, poor adhesion, small diameter burn pools and even poor burn (combustion) quality including mushrooming or sooting. 

source

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/18/2017 at 9:03 AM, Jcandleattic said:

No, i don't believe there is a correlation at all. I have wet spots in both my scented and non scented candles. It more has to do with the nature of the wax, the ambient temperature of the room, and some other factors. However, wet spots are just the nature of candles. No matter what you do to try and control or eliminate them, as soon as the atmosphere in which you had luck in eliminating them changes, they will appear/come back. 

I've had some really big, bad ugly wet spots. I've tried to fix them with the heat gun applied to the outside walls of the jars. That only made the problem worse. In fact, I've ruined some completely. But let me ask you something. Doesn't heating the jars help some? I finally decided to take that advice I've gotten here and I had no wet spots at all.  Of course, that was the first and only time I've had the chance to try it. I've been making pillars the last few days. Could it be just coincidence that it worked out well for me? 

14 hours ago, Quentin said:

But let me ask you something. Doesn't heating the jars help some? 

I have never found that to be the case. I mean, as long as I warmed the jars and then kept them in my environment, sometimes, (but never 100% of the time) I wouldn't get wet spots. However, once they left the ambient temp of my home/atmosphere they were made in, like taking them to a show, giving them as gifts, etc., the wet spots would ALWAYS appear. Not just sometimes, always, and once I realized that, I eliminated that useless step in my process. Now they just show up sooner is all. 

Also the fact that the consumer could honestly not care less - literally, they just do not care, then why bother? 

IMO it is really a waste of time and energy for something that is truly not needed in the least. 

Personally, my time is more valuable than fighting a fight that just does not need to be fought because it simply doesn't matter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

I have never found that to be the case. I mean, as long as I warmed the jars and then kept them in my environment, sometimes, (but never 100% of the time) I wouldn't get wet spots. However, once they left the ambient temp of my home/atmosphere they were made in, like taking them to a show, giving them as gifts, etc., the wet spots would ALWAYS appear. Not just sometimes, always, and once I realized that, I eliminated that useless step in my process. Now they just show up sooner is all. 

Also the fact that the consumer could honestly not care less - literally, they just do not care, then why bother? 

IMO it is really a waste of time and energy for something that is truly not needed in the least. 

Personally, my time is more valuable than fighting a fight that just does not need to be fought because it simply doesn't matter. 

If the customer doesn't care (you've been at this far longer than I have) then I can learn to live with them. The time factor is a major concern for me, too. I'm finding parts of this job are taking up an extreme amount of time that I should be using to pour candles. 

Edited by Quentin
punctuation error.
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2017 at 8:12 AM, Ash44 said:

Does fragrance oil play any part in soy wax glass adhesion? If there is no other visible signs that the fragrance oil does not blend well. TIA :)

Thanks for posting that question. Very helpful for beginners like me.

On 8/18/2017 at 10:22 PM, birdcharm said:

It probably does have more to do with temperatures, as mentioned.

However, I did see this in regard to some waxes or some fragrance oils, so I guess in some cases, it can have an adverse effect.

@birdcharm Thanks for that info. I clicked your source link to read more, but it wouldn't get me there. Maybe a problem on my end with my browser or something. I've been forced to get interested in the subject of how some FOs can create havoc. I had one the other night ( Candlesciene Blueberry Cheesecake) that literally destroyed a plastic measuring cup. During cleanup, I found the inside of the cup was covered with a sticky, varnish type substance that nothing will take out. I should have used a class measuring cup, but I would have never expected anything like that. I've used plastic with lots of other oils and never had that problem till now.

Edited by Quentin
Left out last sentence