Major oil spill!!

Candybee

It finally happened. Dumped a whole load of oil I was preparing for a 5 lb batch of soap. It happened at the farmer's market I was doing today. We were having a "Kids Rock the Market" day. We did all kinds of things for the kids; a mining trailer the kids could do old fashioned rock mining, some crafts, cookies, free give aways, prizes, pet adoption booth with cute kittens and puppies, etc.

I was handing out soap end pieces to the kids and doing live soap demos. I was a lot of fun and the kids and the parents were fascinated and crowded my booth everytime I made another batch.

Anyway, I took enough to do three 5 lb batches. While I was preparing the oil for the very last batch I tipped it over by accident and spilled about 40-50 oz. Fortunately that was the only time my booth was completely empty and no one was there because I hadn't started making the soap yet. I got oil all over my demo table, my tablecloth, and now the parking lot also has an oil spill about 3x6 feet wide!

In all the years I have been soaping and giving live demos I have never spilled any lye or oil. EVER! Guess there is always a first time.

Could have been worse.... what if it had been the lye?!!!*shudder*

Other than that I had a good day and was glad the kids (and the parents) enjoyed the soap demos.... and they had fun picking out pieces of soap to take home too!:)

• Like 1

You know what gets oil out of tablecloths? Oxyclean!!! I used 2 scoops in a small load for one oily tablecloth and one oily towel. They both were sopping wet with oil! Just finished washing and drying them and they are absolutely spotless! Oxyclean is amazing!!!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Candybee said:

You know what gets oil out of tablecloths? Oxyclean!!! I used 2 scoops in a small load for one oily tablecloth and one oily towel. They both were sopping wet with oil! Just finished washing and drying them and they are absolutely spotless! Oxyclean is amazing!!!

The old fashioned Dawn dishsoap as a pre-wash also helps.    

Mom used to use Lestoil cleaner (not sure if they still make it) to get grease and oil out of dad's work clothes as well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shari said:

So sorry that happened.  I had a quarter of a 5 gallon bucket of oils spill all over my kitchen floor once.  The spigot got bumped and I didn't notice.  What a mess that was.

You just reminded me to turn my OO cubitainer spigot side up so I don't get any accidental spills. I can't imagine having to clean up an oil spill on my kitchen floor! Ugh... what a nightmare!

Sorry that happened to you Shari! By comparison mine wasn't as nearly as bad because at least it was outdoors so the oil on the ground was on the tarmac.

• Like 1