When you need an inbetween size wick for mini jars

Here are a few pictures of the mini round mason jar I'm trying so hard to wick.

Jar size:  1 3/4" at top of jar

2 3/4" at widest part of th3 jar

3 1/4" high

Wax:        464

Wicks:     Cd 3 and cd 4

Problem:  The cd3 is good and gets a good melt pool but the flame is very wimpy and looks like it's not going to stay lit....but it does.....it struggles throughout the burnings and as it got to the end it strengthened and the flame was good, but I wasn't satisfied through the entire burn. The heat on the jar of the cd 3 was perfect.  Not cool and not mad hot...just perfect.

The cd 4  was just too strong a wick.  Jar was just too hot.  Melt pool too deep -almost 1/2".

I trimmed the wick on this cd 4 during a long power burn and this candle did absolutely beautiful and you could pickup no problem as long as I tended to the candle.  But not trimmed and burned the way a customer would, it was way too hot.  So I can't do this candle in a cd 4 for that purpose alone.

Both melt pools on both cd 3's and cd 4 I would say were the same though.  3/8" to almost 1/2".  I like to keep my melt pool depths to 3/8.

Another problem with both wicks......NO THROWS what so ever!  Now this is a first for me.

I used for fragrances:  Chocolate from Flaming and RE mixed.....(I mix these 2 together and burn in a 16oz canning jar and great throw.)....Not here.

Hazelnut coffee from Flaming - No throw - but is a great seller again for me in a 16oz canning jar.

Lemon verbena from Flaming - No throw - but again I've been using for years and is a great thrower in other jars.

How is it possible to have no fragrance throw in the mini masons and yet be great throwers in other jars?  This is a first for me.  They all cured for 2 weeks also.

My conclusion I have come to is I need an inbetween size between the cd 3 and cd 4 and I think it would be great.  But so now I have to do another completely different wick and I have no idea what to get or even what size as I don't use anything else.

I just made up 4 more jars last night and did something I don't normally do.  Added more oil.  I always do 1 pound of wax for 1 ounce oil.  I did 1 pound of wax with 1.3 ounce of oil.  And testing again with the cd3 and 4.

Here are the jars I'm testing:

CIMG9129.jpg

This is the 2'nd day of a test burn - 4 hours.  

The mini is on the left with a cd 4.

And the jar on the right is another new round mason (8oz) - cd 12

CIMG9150.jpg

Day 3 - 4 hour burn

Jar on left is a cd 3 - jar on right is a cd 4

Look at the wimpy flame on the left

CIMG9174.jpg

Day 4 - 7 hours (doing a power burn)

Left candle is a cd 3 - wimpy flame

Middle candle is a cd 4 (but I have trimmed the wick durning this burning) - doing great...

Right candle - cd 4 (wick not trimmed)

CIMG9206.jpg

• Like 1

I'm by no means a very experienced chandler, but the little 4 oz. jelly jars I use are 2.5" diameter and I am having great success with ECO 4 wicks (wicking up to ECO 6 for tougher fragrances).  I use Golden 444 wax, 1 oz FO per 1 pound of wax.  Hot throw has been very strong for me (CC's herbal rosemary smelled up the entire first floor of my house the other day - just from a tiny little candle! I couldn't believe it).

While the my jars are a tad smaller in diameter than yours at the widest point, perhaps a similar wick would do well, since your jars are rounded and look like they might keep the heat in and any excess would melt down (if that makes sense).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ehatch1 said:

I'm by no means a very experienced chandler, but the little 4 oz. jelly jars I use are 2.5" diameter and I am having great success with ECO 4 wicks (wicking up to ECO 6 for tougher fragrances).  I use Golden 444 wax, 1 oz FO per 1 pound of wax.  Hot throw has been very strong for me (CC's herbal rosemary smelled up the entire first floor of my house the other day - just from a tiny little candle! I couldn't believe it).

While the my jars are a tad smaller in diameter than yours at the widest point, perhaps a similar wick would do well, since your jars are rounded and look like they might keep the heat in and any excess would melt down (if that makes sense).

Herbal Rosemary sounds wonderful ??

• Like 1

Hi Trappeur, I had a look at a wick chart that I got from one of my suppliers in Australia a few years ago and they suggest that a HTP52 is an in between wick for CDN3 and CDN4 however, I’m not sure if a CDN wick is the same as a CD wick. I have just checked their site and a new version of the chart is there, let me know if you want the url for the chart.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason, I have had trouble with jars that narrow at the top, so I try to stay away from them if possible since I can never seem to get them to perform the way I'd like.  The photo of the CD4 seems to be going well though!

OT ~ so I tell my husband I read that twisting the CD wicks might help with the lean ( I've tested a couple of candles with them, not overly thrilled ) ... he asks me, "what's CD stand for?" ... hmmm, okay, I haven't a clue!  So I tell him "common denominator" or "compact disc" ... can you believe he said that he "knows when he's being BS'd" ??  The nerve!  :)

On 2/11/2017 at 3:25 PM, ehatch1 said:

Excellent idea Hatch for trying a htp 52.  I'll be doing that.  And yes I agree that the wick could possibly work because of the shoulders of the jars holding in the heat.  I agree!

Trappeur

7 hours ago, birdcharm said:

For some reason, I have had trouble with jars that narrow at the top, so I try to stay away from them if possible since I can never seem to get them to perform the way I'd like.  The photo of the CD4 seems to be going well though!

OT ~ so I tell my husband I read that twisting the CD wicks might help with the lean ( I've tested a couple of candles with them, not overly thrilled ) ... he asks me, "what's CD stand for?" ... hmmm, okay, I haven't a clue!  So I tell him "common denominator" or "compact disc" ... can you believe he said that he "knows when he's being BS'd" ??  The nerve!  :)

lol, lol...you got busted ey? lol, lol....well, using big words like what  you said I would have thought would have worked myself! lol

Trappeur

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/12/2017 at 6:26 AM, Trappeur said:

Here are a few pictures of the mini round mason jar I'm trying so hard to wick.

Jar size:  1 3/4" at top of jar

2 3/4" at widest part of th3 jar

3 1/4" high

Wax:        464

Wicks:     Cd 3 and cd 4

Problem:  The cd3 is good and gets a good melt pool but the flame is very wimpy and looks like it's not going to stay lit....but it does.....it struggles throughout the burnings and as it got to the end it strengthened and the flame was good, but I wasn't satisfied through the entire burn. The heat on the jar of the cd 3 was perfect.  Not cool and not mad hot...just perfect.

The cd 4  was just too strong a wick.  Jar was just too hot.  Melt pool too deep -almost 1/2".

I trimmed the wick on this cd 4 during a long power burn and this candle did absolutely beautiful and you could pickup no problem as long as I tended to the candle.  But not trimmed and burned the way a customer would, it was way too hot.  So I can't do this candle in a cd 4 for that purpose alone.

Both melt pools on both cd 3's and cd 4 I would say were the same though.  3/8" to almost 1/2".  I like to keep my melt pool depths to 3/8.

Another problem with both wicks......NO THROWS what so ever!  Now this is a first for me.

I used for fragrances:  Chocolate from Flaming and RE mixed.....(I mix these 2 together and burn in a 16oz canning jar and great throw.)....Not here.

Hazelnut coffee from Flaming - No throw - but is a great seller again for me in a 16oz canning jar.

Lemon verbena from Flaming - No throw - but again I've been using for years and is a great thrower in other jars.

How is it possible to have no fragrance throw in the mini masons and yet be great throwers in other jars?  This is a first for me.  They all cured for 2 weeks also.

My conclusion I have come to is I need an inbetween size between the cd 3 and cd 4 and I think it would be great.  But so now I have to do another completely different wick and I have no idea what to get or even what size as I don't use anything else.

I just made up 4 more jars last night and did something I don't normally do.  Added more oil.  I always do 1 pound of wax for 1 ounce oil.  I did 1 pound of wax with 1.3 ounce of oil.  And testing again with the cd3 and 4.

Here are the jars I'm testing:

CIMG9129.jpg

This is the 2'nd day of a test burn - 4 hours.  

The mini is on the left with a cd 4.

And the jar on the right is another new round mason (8oz) - cd 12

CIMG9150.jpg

Day 3 - 4 hour burn

Jar on left is a cd 3 - jar on right is a cd 4

Look at the wimpy flame on the left

CIMG9174.jpg

Day 4 - 7 hours (doing a power burn)

Left candle is a cd 3 - wimpy flame

Middle candle is a cd 4 (but I have trimmed the wick durning this burning) - doing great...

Right candle - cd 4 (wick not trimmed)

CIMG9206.jpgyour candles look so pretty and I love your labels. Did you end up sorting out the wicks for these? I have some   jam jars I have saved and I want to make some candle in them. Very similar shape ... will be interested in hearing how you went! Just something else I was collecting LOL