Wax andWick Test 1B - C3 SoyWax Part 2-Upgrades to Small Wicks

TallTayl

Working on another round of C3 wick tests. The first round had several wicks that were far too small according to the WickIt and similar recommendation charts. Also came into a few more wick series and though, hey might as well test those too.

Tray 1:

Performa 95 (New)

RRD50 (New)

BCN Soft Wood Wick Medium (New)

BCN Soft Wood Wick Large (New)

BCN Ultimate Wood Wick #5 (New)

WoodWick soft wood non crackle .65" (wick u from last test)

Tray 2: Al Wick Up from last test

Premier WI 750 (Aztec)

LX16

ECO8 (candlescience)

Zinc 51-32-18Z

#1/0

HTP 104

DSC_0205.JPGDSC_0207.JPG

DSC_0206.JPGDSC_0208.JPG

• Like 3

one hour into first burn. Aside from the #5 ultimate wood wick all of the MP seem to be in the same neighborhood. The WoodWick .625" is weak. I had problems with these in the past not staying lit.

Tray 1

DSC_0209.JPGDSC_0211.JPG

RRD50 forming small mushrooms.

Tray 2

DSC_0210.JPGDSC_0212.JPG

The Zinc has begun to burn oddly with large mushroom formation early.

The Premier750 has small mushrooms along with the #1/0

• Like 2

I like that performa and RRD in tray 1- nice flames by looks of the picture But is that a mushroom I see on the RRD...curious because they do for me, it's hard on my phone to really see

this is so awesome- all the time your taking to do these tests for us! Thank you

amd tray 2....they all were sputtering out by hour 2?

22 minutes ago, moonshine said:

I like that performa and RRD in tray 1- nice flames by looks of the picture But is that a mushroom I see on the RRD...curious because they do for me, it's hard on my phone to really see

this is so awesome- all the time your taking to do these tests for us! Thank you

big mushroom on the RRD.  Small one on the performa.

• 2 months later...

you seem to have such a lot of choices in wicks in the US. In Australia , all I can find is HTP and CDN. If you don't like one ,then all you can do is swap over! All our wholesalers recommend HTP for Soy , but their range jumps around and doesn't cover a lot of jars available. I tested the HTP105 which was pitiful in a medium tumbler , along with CDN 14 & CDN 16. In the end , the CDN16 was the best , but still I had problems with wax left on the side of the jar. If I went up to an 18, the flame would be way too big. I am at a loss on how to overcome this. With all your experience , any suggestions would be appreciated

Edited by obsessed

A couple of posters recent threads suggest giving the CD types (flat wick that leans by design) a couple of twists. As the wick burns it "untwists" to more evenly burn the wax in the container.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2017 at 8:26 AM, moonshine said:

hi ... did you figure out why your wicks in tray 2 were struggling after 2 hours? I love the idea of testing in a tray.

38 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Those were just not the right wicks for that wax. 

I need to get those top wicks into tins and glass. Will try to get to tha today.

the wood wicks? they look great. I can only find 2 types of wicks here ... HTP and CDN. (wood wicks also available). USA has so much more choice .... my friend lived in Pittsburg for 3 years and when she came home ,she found it hard to adjust to the lack of variety in everything! LOL  After reading so many wick blogs on here , I am worried about not being able to get my wicks just right . Do you know if CDN are the same as your CD wicks by any chance? I have seen them called CDN Stabilo and CDN Stabilo KST ..

• 1 year later...
21 minutes ago, Annie9 said:

I tried the C3 in pint mason jars (regular mouth) with HTP104 wicks and I had sooting and a large flame. I ordered the HTP 93 to try for this jar size. Is HTP the best wick for C3 wax?  Any recommendations are appreciated!

I think you will find that not everyone uses the same wick in each wax type.  My local supplier recommends HTP in C3, I didn't like them as they didn't have enough sizes for my jars and were either under or over wicked.  They worked well in the round tins.  I use cotton core wicks in C3, I've had better luck with smaller flames and sooting.  That being said you can't overwick any type or it will soot and some fo's are just prone to soot (one is high vanilla content).

41 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

I think you will find that not everyone uses the same wick in each wax type.  My local supplier recommends HTP in C3, I didn't like them as they didn't have enough sizes for my jars and were either under or over wicked.  They worked well in the round tins.  I use cotton core wicks in C3, I've had better luck with smaller flames and sooting.  That being said you can't overwick any type or it will soot and some fo's are just prone to soot (one is high vanilla content).

Thanks for your help! It can be so frustrating to find the right wax and wick combo. I always use mason jars, both regular and wide mouth. So the diameters are a little different, but both are between 2.5-3”. I will keep searching for the best wax and wick combo for these jars! I also tried Ecosoya 210, and while they make pretty candles, the scent throw is pretty low...

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:00 PM, Annie9 said:

I tried the C3 in pint mason jars (regular mouth) with HTP104 wicks and I had sooting and a large flame. I ordered the HTP 93 to try for this jar size. Is HTP the best wick for C3 wax?  Any recommendations are appreciated!

I find that ECO wick works well with Naturewax C3. This was recommendation from Candle Science. They offer a free evaluation and recommendation service. They will request unwicked wax and fragrance in the actual container sizes you will be using. They then suggest various wicks. I tried their service and it worked out pretty good. They do however stress that this is a recommendation and that actual tests need to be performed under your own conditions. 

7 minutes ago, Simon-RSA said:

I find that ECO wick works well with Naturewax C3. This was recommendation from Candle Science. They offer a free evaluation and recommendation service. They will request unwicked wax and fragrance in the actual container sizes you will be using. They then suggest various wicks. I tried their service and it worked out pretty good. They do however stress that this is a recommendation and that actual tests need to be performed under your own conditions. 

I found the most success with eco in C3 also. 

9 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

FO I always ensure that manufacturer supplies FO designed for soy wax. what I've experienced with C3,  is that the FO volatility, significantly affects how the candle cools and sets up. The outcome is immediately obvious soon after pouring. Generally a longer congealing time and affects the crystal structure and poor, dull surface. FO that is generally unstable has this effect with C3.  I have found C3 quality to be consistent.  I've worked with various container sizes, produced in Winter and Summer. No problem with single pour. I had to experiment with wet spots. This was found to be pour temp dependant. I confirm C3 is indeed a single pour for my current set up.  I am however experimenting to optimise natural blend costs. We don't have access to coconut wax. So I'm aiming to produce my own natural wax blend.  Directionally I'm tending to Soy + coconut oil + beeswax.  Coconut oil is roughly 1/3 price of C3.  Generally in most formualtions soy can be substituted for beeswax. However when using coconut oil it needs to have the beeswax to bind the free oil.  % addition Bwax will vary to balance and optimise the cost. I've found C3 performs well in the few wax blends todate.  Eco flame height influenced by the low melt point component. My wax blends show that C3 does tolerate some blending. I guess any reduction that results in comparable performance is what we strive for. C3 is my soy wax of choice. and Eco is my wick of choice. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i also use c3 wax and have trouble wicking.  what HTP wick size would you recommend for 4 oz (2" diameter) and 8oz (3" diameter) straight glass jars?  i'm trying to stick with HTP since it is what my local supplier carries.

1 hour ago, jfc said:

i also use c3 wax and have trouble wicking.  what HTP wick size would you recommend for 4 oz (2" diameter) and 8oz (3" diameter) straight glass jars?  i'm trying to stick with HTP since it is what my local supplier carries.

Not sure. I did not like how they burned so I stopped testing that series. Maybe an HTP user could pop in and give a rec?

23 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Not sure. I did not like how they burned so I stopped testing that series. Maybe an HTP user could pop in and give a rec?

where are you HTP users, please help 😃

Edited by jfc

I have very little C3 experience or luck with it but being it’s a rock hard soy and HTP burn like CD I would try the 93 in the 4 ounce 2” diameter and the 104 in the 8 ounce 3” diameter and go from there after getting a baseline of how well it’s consuming 

maybe make them wickless and drill a hole so you can swap them out more easily if it’s burning to hot or cold 

• Like 1