question for soapers

JI

I am a candle maker and no absolutely nothing about soap. Just curious...

A soaper sells only glycerine soaps and markets them as chemical free all natural. Is glycerine not a chemical? She also continuously blasted cold press lye soaps. I happen to love the traditional soaps since they wash better than glycerine in my opinion. Is this typical of soapers?

Also a lady gave me a nice bar of cold press soap. I use soap on my face my whole life. The soap was great. But it seemed that as it got smaller, i would burn my eyes/ nose more than normal. I am accustomed to a little soap sting in eyes but not too much. Lady said bars were cured for 4 weeks so it is maybe just me? She had not had a chance to test her own soaps yet. This was apparently her first batch. Lather was nice though.

Is glycerine not a chemical?

Yes. Technically everything, including water, is a chemical.

Is this typical of soapers?

No. It is not typical. I am a cold process soaper by trade and would never think to make claims or assertions that one form is better than the other.

She had not had a chance to test her own soaps yet. This was apparently her first batch. Lather was nice though.

Red flag. When making cold process soap the learning curve is quite steep. Giving away/selling bars from one's first batch - no matter how long the cure - means little to nothing. The formulation, SF level, process used to make, etc all factor in to the quality of the final bar.

Burning is not normal. Burning more as the bar is used is less than not normal. People who formulate simply to create lather are missing other features that make for a quality bar of soap. Having not even TESTED her own formula or result it pretty darned inconsiderate before unleashing them on an unsuspecting public.

In sum, when someone attacks a form of a product in favor of their own based on hype read on the internet I stop actively listening simply because it's a marketing spin often based on misunderstanding. M&P soap is technically a cosmetic - governed by the FDA. It contains a blend of surfactants and true soap making the product inconsistent between various manufacturers of the base. Even M&P required sodium hydroxide in the production of the original base.

TallTayl couldn't have said it any better. No reason for anyone to degrade either method of soapmaking. I started with M&P because of my hesitancy to handle lye but now do cold process. You can do amazing things with both mediums.

I also agree about the lady not testing her first batch of soap before giving you a bar. I made quite a few batches before I even thought of giving them to someone else to try. And, then I only gave to certain testers and was very specific to have them tell me if they experienced any burning and such and to discontinue use immediately. But, I tried to make darn sure the batch wasn't lye heavy before doing so.

Edited by ProudMarineMom

I am a candle maker and no absolutely nothing about soap. Just curious...

A soaper sells only glycerine soaps and markets them as chemical free all natural. Is glycerine not a chemical? She also continuously blasted cold press lye soaps. I happen to love the traditional soaps since they wash better than glycerine in my opinion. Is this typical of soapers?

Also a lady gave me a nice bar of cold press soap. I use soap on my face my whole life. The soap was great. But it seemed that as it got smaller, i would burn my eyes/ nose more than normal. I am accustomed to a little soap sting in eyes but not too much. Lady said bars were cured for 4 weeks so it is maybe just me? She had not had a chance to test her own soaps yet. This was apparently her first batch. Lather was nice though.

The first 2 statements about M&P are false. Even the SFIC bases being the closest to "natural" as they have formulated bases without the use of sulphates and other chemicals found in some other brands are still not 100% natural.

Actually glycerine soaps made properly will get your skin squeaky clean and leave it moisturized. I made M&P soaps for years and even thou I switched to making cold process (CP) soap I still love to pull out a bar of M&P soap from my linen closet and wash with it. Any soap made well will have excellent cleaning and moisturizing properties. A bad soap recipe for either CP, CPHP, M&P, etc. or soap made poorly it won't matter what method you use-- if its made poorly it won't clean and moisturize properly.

The last statement about her not testing her soaps is quite scary. All she needs is someone with skin allergies or a skin condition to use her soap and start having real problems. Thats a lawsuit waiting to happen!

The ladies above have answered it pretty well, I think. I have been working soaps now for nearly a year. M&P soaps a bit longer. I use cold process methods. I use my own bars myself well before I allow anyone else to even try them. I do not get burning sensations in mine, unless I get suds in my eyes. But that happens no matter what kind of soap I use, so it's no different than normal.

A properly made bar of soap will clean your skin, no matter which process is used. There is a learning curve for both kinds, just like there is for a candle maker using paraffin and then switching to soy. Both may be good candles, they have different basic properties, but a lot of work is involved to make it a good candle. *shrug* Same idea, just different building blocks.