Double Wicking

post-13614-1394585039_thumb.jpg

Do the flames look too big? They are less then 3/4 of an inch maybe 6/8. This is 3 hours into the 4th burn. Jar is warm, but I can pick up easily. Hup on 2 sides is maybe 1/16 & thin skin on other 2 sides.

4" x 3" cylindar jar

2 Cd-4S

7% MWs Lavender Sage

4 drops CS purple dye

Thanks for any help!

post-13614-139458503906_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChandlerWicks

I have no advice. Just wanted to say I subscribed to this thread due to my inability to successfully double wick.

If they were mine, I'd be thinking they are drowning. Well, the one on the left. Not so much the right. Probably why I cannot double wick!

ETA: The flames do not look too big to me. In fact, they look nice, tidy and about the size I like mine to be.

Edited by jeanie353

The flame looks fine to me. The H-up on the jar looks like it is melting just fine. I worry when it look like it's not melting at all. I don't see any mushrooms (I HATE THOSE THINGS!) on your wicks. I don't see any issues. I know people panic when they see h-up on the jar while the candle burns, I don't panic unless there is h-up once the candle burns through to the bottom. Good Job Chandler!!! :grin2:

Hi, they look good to me! but I am a newbie so dont take my word for it :)

I have been trying to successfully double wick for months, I just cant get it right, the flames starts off good until about halfway and then they die out on me and if I go up wick sizes they dont die out but towards the end of the jar they get quite big and jar gets very very hot quite quickly.

Woo Hoo! Thanks Sparky! I had mushrooms before I lowered the FO% from 8 to 7. It's a great burn so far, can't really be happening that's why I posted, I'm in shock![QUOTE=SparkysCandles;983437]The flame looks fine to me. The H-up on the jar looks like it is melting just fine. I worry when it look like it's not melting at all. I don't see any mushrooms (I HATE THOSE THINGS!) on your wicks. I don't see any issues. I know people panic when they see h-up on the jar while the candle burns, I don't panic unless there is h-up once the candle burns through to the bottom. Good Job Chandler!!! :grin2:

Well we will learn together then.

Actually the flames look smaller in the pic. Not as big as say a single CD-12 burning but still worried about size of flame. The burn is just about perfect, the Hup is kind of messy looking.

It took me awhile to get used to the messy look of the hangup until it begins to drop down or just melt away. But found if I wicked it to leave by like the 2nd burn, they would burn too hot later in the candle.

Just don't look :)

Seeing the flame in real life is not sitting in or very close to the wax as the pic on the left appears, it looks like you have a success!

That's exactly what I'm worried about, we'll see how it goes.

Hi, they look good to me! but I am a newbie so dont take my word for it :)

I have been trying to successfully double wick for months, I just cant get it right, the flames starts off good until about halfway and then they die out on me and if I go up wick sizes they dont die out but towards the end of the jar they get quite big and jar gets very very hot quite quickly.

I always have Hup, that's what delayed my initial testing 18 months ago. I thought I needed a complete MP by end of 1st burn, so pulled every stinking wick out.

Yep, don't look!

Sparky I flove 4627 also!!!!!:rolleyes2

It took me awhile to get used to the messy look of the hangup until it begins to drop down or just melt away. But found if I wicked it to leave by like the 2nd burn, they would burn too hot later in the candle.

Just don't look :)

Seeing the flame in real life is not sitting in or very close to the wax as the pic on the left appears, it looks like you have a success!

I tested a Yankee candle & it never lost the thick Hup. Took me a long time of finding the correct info by reading this forum. I still don't lose the Hup until way down into the jar. Thanks for the responses, makes me feel more confident!

So I shouldn't panic if there is wax left on the jar after the first burn????

So I shouldn't panic if there is wax left on the jar after the first burn????

I never panic until the candle has burned all the way down and even then I don't panic. I just tweek the "formula" again and go from there. Hookiebear you are new to this. You still have many, many hours of testing. That's part of the fun.

That container is not too tall and it doesn't have a neck or a lip to trap heat, so I would want my hangup to be gone by the end of the third burn session. Customers say they "hate" candles that leave hangup, so I feel I'm already asking a lot for them to deal with hangup until the end of the third burn. How's the HT on that one?

HI There HS, Ht is great, love the FO. Once I'm done testing this jar, I need to make 3 jars & try Cd-3s & Cd-5s & another set of Cd4s. The Hup bothers me, but I've tested a ton of other dblwkd cylindars & they get way too hot when the wick removes the hup early. I also need to use only 2 drops of dye instead of 4 to lighten up color, which may skew this great burn up completely.

That container is not too tall and it doesn't have a neck or a lip to trap heat, so I would want my hangup to be gone by the end of the third burn session. Customers say they "hate" candles that leave hangup, so I feel I'm already asking a lot for them to deal with hangup until the end of the third burn. How's the HT on that one?

HI There HS, Ht is great, love the FO. Once I'm done testing this jar, I need to make 3 jars & try Cd-3s & Cd-5s & another set of Cd4s. The Hup bothers me, but I've tested a ton of other dblwkd cylindars & they get way too hot when the wick removes the hup early. I also need to use only 2 drops of dye instead of 4 to lighten up color, which may skew this great burn up completely.

Sounds good! :D Please keep us posted on your results!

How hot is "way too hot"? Like, is it impossible to pick up the jar? or can you pick it up but it's painful?

Edited by HorsescentS

One drop of dye is more than enough for one candle. I use the cylinder jars and 4 drops could be drowning out your wicks, so I would suggest you repour with the proper amount of dye and burn again. You should still be ok with that size wicks.

Thanks for the info, I'll try only one drop.

One drop of dye is more than enough for one candle. I use the cylinder jars and 4 drops could be drowning out your wicks, so I would suggest you repour with the proper amount of dye and burn again. You should still be ok with that size wicks.

What size candle is 1 drop of dye enough for? Do you mean 1 drop of dye per 8 oz jar?

I bought some of the short cylinder jars from Hobby Lobby and can't wait to try them! I think they're about 15 oz, right? maybe 16 oz.

I've noticed that the dye for soy candles is more concentrated, so it takes fewer drops of my CS dyes than it does of my Peak's dyes.

I very seldom use more than one drop of dye per 1 lb. of wax. Occasionally I use 2 drops/lb. but not very often. I've never used Peaks dyes, so I can't say anything about that. The more dye you use can definately can clog your wick and create burn problems.

Yes the shorter cylinder jars are supposed to be 16 oz. & hold about 12-13 oz. of wax for me.