Why is this happening??

ladysj

Ooohhh but the candle looks so good! Label too! Does it have great HT?

When I was trying to double wick 4627 in the pint Ball Elite jars, the HT was absolutely phenomenal with all the fragrance notes amplified, until the flames started shrinking. :(

Edited by HorsescentS

I don't know, but I think it's the fact that paraffin melts faster than soy so the flames can't keep up by burning off the wax fast enough when you double wick. I got a 15 or 16 oz Libbey Cylinder jar to try double wicking 4627, but haven't tried it yet. Couldn't double wick that wax in jars with lips or necks. I think I've read that it's easier to double wick with two 51z because they burn cooler so they don't melt the wax too fast for the flame to consume it.

I have thought the same thing. The thing the stumped me was my soy I used was a very low meltpoint soy and seemed to melt as fast and sometimes faster than some of the paraffin blends but I never had a problem. It did tend to burn down before out but not sure if that would make a difference. Not sure exactly what it is. I believe I also noticed that the height of the wicks would be the same as the soys that I have used with no problem but the flames would still be small, but I can't remember for sure on that....I think so anyway. Also, I can double wick these hard to double wick waxes in the open non necked jars. Not sure if that is because of oxygen or because maybe the wax melts slower because it is more open and does not get as hot. Although, I have had success with three wicks and you would think that would melt just as fast as two wicks in a necked container. I sure wish I knew the real reason. It could be that it takes more energy to burn paraffin and without the correct oxygen the flames just cannot perform well. Not sure.

It's not a full melt pool all the way across. I did just check the jar & the one side is hot. Right now I'm ready to throw in the towel. I will try smaller wicks. I've tried CD 5's, 6's & 7's. Maybe I need to try a single wick but it takes such a big wick to do that.

Has anyone ever been able to single wick this jar with 70/30 same as the Clarus wax?

If it is the same as the Clarus wax, I doubt single wicking in that jar will be sufficient. I have noticed that it burns down before out and performs best in jars that are not wide for single wicking. It would definitely have to play catch up and would have to be burned for 4 hours and most likely more to get it to the sides but not all people will burn that long and the ones that do will most likely end up with big flames if they go well beyond the 4 hour mark, unless the wick is very conservative.

I have thought the same thing. The thing the stumped me was my soy I used was a very low meltpoint soy and seemed to melt as fast and sometimes faster than some of the paraffin blends but I never had a problem. It did tend to burn down before out but not sure if that would make a difference. Not sure exactly what it is. I believe I also noticed that the height of the wicks would be the same as the soys that I have used with no problem but the flames would still be small, but I can't remember for sure on that....I think so anyway. Also, I can double wick these hard to double wick waxes in the open non necked jars. Not sure if that is because of oxygen or because maybe the wax melts slower because it is more open and does not get as hot. Although, I have had success with three wicks and you would think that would melt just as fast as two wicks in a necked container. I sure wish I knew the real reason. It could be that it takes more energy to burn paraffin and without the correct oxygen the flames just cannot perform well. Not sure.

I think it's because the necked/lipped jars trap too much heat and melt the wax faster than the flame can consume it, but with three wicks in the straight-sided open jars with no neck/lip, there's an extra flame to help consume the wax.

Edited by HorsescentS

Do you think I should try triple wicking it to see what it does?

Triple wicking will not help in that jar, if anything it will make it worse. If it did work, it would get way too hot because it has a neck and not completely opened...straight sided.

Edited by Holly

I think it's because the necked/lipped jars trap too much heat and melt the wax faster than the flame can consume it, but with three wicks there's an extra flame to help consume the wax.

That is what I am thinking, but I guess we will never know on that for sure. Darn! Not sure why though the wicks still look long enough not to drown but the flame becomes weak anyway. How frustrating. Also, GC candles are really bad with this problem. Theirs used to be better way back when but not now. Their tall apothecaires get weak flames often. Only their open jars burn well enough and their short apothecaries. They will get ash on the tips as well. That is one reason why I could not sell for them after I closed my biz and tried to rep for another company. Weak flames or flames that go out are a pet peeve of mine.

Triple wicking will not help in that jar, if anything it will make it worse. If it did work, it would get way too hot because it has a neck and not completely opened...straight sided.

Yeah, I just changed my post above because I didn't mean to give the impression that we should triple wick the jars that have lips/necks, it will trap too much heat and be dangerous.

Yeah, I just changed my post above because I didn't mean to give the impression that we should triple wick the jars that have lips/necks, it will trap too much heat and be dangerous.

I hope my post did not give that impression either. I will check. If I did mention it, I think it was regarding the open neck wide jars. It can get nutty typing all this out. lol

Thanks for the information & help I guess I'm going to just have to use CB advanced for these jars since I've only got 3 cases. I got them at a great price & was soooooooooo excited if I can't use my regular wax in them & produce a proper burning candle then I will have to find another type of jar :(

Edited by ladysj

Took me forever to find the right double wick configuration, trying different types and sizes. In my system, the answer was 2 ECO-1 wicks. That said, there are still some FOs that will kill the flame and, unfortunately, I have to avoid those. I', not saying the ECO-1 wicks are your solution, just that a lot of testing can be required to find the best match.

Thank you that will be my next step to try. It's just sooooooooooo frustrating & aggrevating you wouldn't think it would be that freaking hard to wick :laugh2: Makes me want to pull my hair out.

I just put a 51z in it & lit it at 9:30am flame looks good so far just wonder if it's got the power to reach the sides. We'll see.

Edited by ladysj

Thank you that will be my next step to try. It's just sooooooooooo frustrating & aggrevating you wouldn't think it would be that freaking hard to wick :laugh2: Makes me want to pull my hair out.

I just put a 51z in it & lit it at 9:30am flame looks good so far just wonder if it's got the power to reach the sides. We'll see.

Did you use only one 51z? I've seen those tall apothecary jars successfully double wicked with two 51z wicks close together with their wick assemblies touching in 6006.

I only used one wick. Are these not the jars that Yankme uses? Theirs have a neck on them I've never purchased one of them so I have no idea how well they burn and they are single wicked. Do they use straight paraffin? I'm looking on their site to see if they state the type of wax it is but not finding anything yet.

Edited by ladysj

I only used one wick. Are these not the jars that Yankme uses? Theirs have a neck on them I've never purchased one of them so I have no idea how well they burn and they are single wicked. Do they use straight paraffin? I'm looking on their site to see if they state the type of wax it is but not finding anything yet.

As far as I remember, the neck jars they have (apothecaries) are only single wicked. I was in a Yankee store not long ago and the jars that they double wick I believe are straight sided (no neck at least). I can't remember for sure if all the double wicked were no-neck jars.

You are right the apothecaries are single wicked & the straight sided jars are single wicked. I wicked it this morning with (2) Eco 1's. The flame is really small but it's getting a melt pool. I think I'm going to have to throw in the towel on the 70/30 & try another type of wax.