Why is this happening??

ladysj

I just lit a container jar to start testing. Wicked with (2) Eco 8's. I lit both wicks & when I went back to check on them one of them went out. The wick is curling into the melted wax. I didn't trim them that short. This isn't the first time this has happened.

I'm using 70/30 container blend 6% FO in the jars. Should I leave the wick longer or maybe it was too long? I'm at a loss here & it's very frustrating.

Well on this one I went to check it again & the 2nd wick is for some reason shorter than the other & is just barely above the melt pool. Don't know how in the world that happened. ughhhhhh

Edited by ladysj

Sometimes with curling wicks if they are too long they can bend down to the wax. You may need to cut them a little shorter so the curl is less...not as long to reach the wax. I had this trouble when testing but cannot remember which curling wick gave me the problem.

Also, were the flames healthy? You know for sure it went out because of it curling into the wax and not drowning out? Which jar is it and how far down is the wax from the top of the jar?

Edited by Holly

Yes the flames were healthy. After looking again the other wick is shorter & burnt down into the melt pool. At first when I straightened it up it was ok but now it's just barely above the melt pool & won't light again. Going to pull them out & try cutting a little shorter.

It's the Libbey 26 ounce storage jar the wax is just below where the larger part gets smaller. I hope this makes sense.

Edited by ladysj

Yes the flames were healthy. After looking again the other wick is shorter & burnt down into the melt pool. At first when I straightened it up it was ok but now it's just barely above the melt pool & won't light again. Going to pull them out & try cutting a little shorter.

It's the Libbey 26 ounce storage jar the wax is just below where the larger part gets smaller. I hope this makes sense.

If the flames were healthy and stayed healthy than it is not the weak flame problem. I will say double wicking in tall jars with necks can have weak flame issues as it gets lower down the jar. Is it the Clarus 70/30 wax? I hope by cutting a little shorter next time helps. Keep us posted.

I'm going to pull out the one that went out & put in another wick & see how it works. I don't think it's a heavier oil I'm not really sure I bought from the classifieds it's Candy Corn. Don't know where it is from.

Just curious is there anyway to determine if an oil is a heavier oil or not?

Edited by ladysj

Candy corn sounds like it would have vanilla in it to me and usually anything with vanilla is a heavier oil so I would think that could still be suspect.

Thank you as far as the melt pool it was going very well LOL until the other wick died.

Yes I used the same wick size & cut it shorter. It's been an hour now & that same wick is barely burning. The other one is doing fine. I think I may need to wick up. I've been having trouble with double wicking this jar with the 70/30 blend. With the CB Advanced wicked with a HTP 105 works beautifully in it. :( One of the wicks always seems to get weak. Maybe I need to put the closer together. IDK I'm at a total loss.

Edited by ladysj

Yes I used the same wick size & cut it shorter. It's been an hour now & that same wick is barely burning. The other one is doing fine. I think I may need to wick up. I've been having trouble with double wicking this jar with the 70/30 blend. With the CB Advanced wicked with a HTP 105 works beautifully in it. :( One of the wicks always seems to get weak. Maybe I need to put the closer together. IDK I'm at a total loss.

Did you set them close together with the wick assemblies touching? or space them equally across the jar?

The jar isn't quite 4". I don't have any assemblies on the wick so I can pull them out if I need to. I have them spaced pretty equally across the jar as best a my eye can tell. The wick that was fading again is starting to pick up a flame again after about 45 minutes of burning.

I've ordered a multi wick setter & got my wick trimmer will try that & see if it makes any difference.

I don't think it's "drowning" because the other wick is working perfectly.

Edited by ladysj

This is what I figured. I have had the same problem. I am hoping you will have better success than me. Pure soy worked well for me as well with double wicking in the tall necked jars but paraffin blends or parasoy blends is another story. I can only use that kind of wax in single wicked jars or wide jars with no necks for double wicking...i.e. Libbey Cylinder jar or Tureen, etc. I was able to double wick the 70/30 in the 10 oz. apothecary but not the 16 oz. apothecary which are necked jars as well as the jar you are using.

This is what I figured. I have had the same problem. I am hoping you will have better success than me. Pure soy worked well for me as well with double wicking in the tall necked jars but paraffin blends or parasoy blends is another story. I can only use that kind of wax in single wicked jars or wide jars with no necks for double wicking...i.e. Libbey Cylinder jar or Tureen, etc. I was able to double wick the 70/30 in the 10 oz. apothecary but not the 16 oz. apothecary which are necked jars as well as the jar you are using.

Yeah I'm not having much trouble with the shorter jars & so far that has been the case with the 26 ounce jars :(

Edited by ladysj

Here is a pic I don't know if you can tell from it. Oh that is such a bummer if that is the case :(

testxr.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

From this view it looks like the wick on the right may be weak but it is hard to tell. It is getting close to the point where weakness issues can start. Not sure why some wax will have this problem and others will not but it must have something do with the amount of oxygen the wicks need to perform well and something about the makeup of certain wax which causes the wick to not perform well without the proper oxygen flow. Is it the Clarus 70/30? I never got it to work for me in those jars. I could double wick it in the 10 oz. apothecaries and the open necked jars (Libbey Cylinder jars, etc.) for double wicking and single wicked jars. Keep us posted.

It's not a full melt pool all the way across. I did just check the jar & the one side is hot. Right now I'm ready to throw in the towel. I will try smaller wicks. I've tried CD 5's, 6's & 7's. Maybe I need to try a single wick but it takes such a big wick to do that.

Has anyone ever been able to single wick this jar with 70/30 same as the Clarus wax?

Edited by ladysj

From this view it looks like the wick on the right may be weak but it is hard to tell. It is getting close to the point where weakness issues can start. Not sure why some wax will have this problem and others will not but it must have something do with the amount of oxygen the wicks need to perform well and something about the makeup of certain wax which causes the wick to not perform well without the proper oxygen flow. Is it the Clarus 70/30? I never got it to work for me in those jars. I could double wick it in the 10 oz. apothecaries and the open necked jars (Libbey Cylinder jars, etc.) for double wicking and single wicked jars. Keep us posted.

I don't know, but I think it's the fact that paraffin melts faster than soy so the flames can't keep up by burning off the wax fast enough when you double wick. I got a 15 or 16 oz Libbey Cylinder jar to try double wicking 4627, but haven't tried it yet. Couldn't double wick that wax in jars with lips or necks. I think I've read that it's easier to double wick with two 51z because they burn cooler so they don't melt the wax too fast for the flame to consume it.

Edited by HorsescentS

I don't know, but I think it's the fact that paraffin melts faster than soy so the flames can't keep up by burning off the wax fast enough when you double wick. I got a 15 or 16 oz Libbey Cylinder jar to try double wicking 4627, but haven't tried it yet. Couldn't double wick that wax in jars with lips or necks. I think I've read that it's easier to double wick with two 51z because they burn cooler so they don't melt the wax too fast for the flame to consume it.

I'll give the 51z a try I have plenty of those :laugh2: