Suggestions for wicking 4 oz jelly jars

I didn't really find anything via search and thought to throw this out there for suggestions.

i'm having a heck of a time wicking this jar. When I get a wick that creates a full MP, the flame is huge. When I try smaller sizes, it never gets enough wax consumed. This jar is too small to double wick though I've been tempted.

I've only used eco, htp and cd wicks so far. I've tried to wick these jars using 4627 and el millennium and even a mix between the two. So far I love the way the eco's burn (especially in 4627), but prefer the HT produced by the htp's and cd's. Any rec's for different wicks or other suggestions are appreciated.

Oh, I usually test burn 24-48 hrs after initially made, trim before each burn and burn between 3-4 hours at a time. No color and 7% fo load.

I didn't really find anything via search and thought to throw this out there for suggestions.

i'm having a heck of a time wicking this jar. When I get a wick that creates a full MP, the flame is huge. When I try smaller sizes, it never gets enough wax consumed. This jar is too small to double wick though I've been tempted.

I've only used eco, htp and cd wicks so far. I've tried to wick these jars using 4627 and el millennium and even a mix between the two. So far I love the way the eco's burn (especially in 4627), but prefer the HT produced by the htp's and cd's. Any rec's for different wicks or other suggestions are appreciated.

Oh, I usually test burn 24-48 hrs after initially made, trim before each burn and burn between 3-4 hours at a time. No color and 7% fo load.

I would use the HTP 83 with that wax, no dye, and 7% FO load. But, since it's a short jar you might need to wick up to HTP 93 with some FOs, or down to HTP 73 with light FOs. Also, my tests with 4627 never work unless I wait at least 24 to 48 hours for the wax to harden up really good before testing.

Are you letting it burn all the way down to the bottom before deciding whether a particular wick made a good enough FMP?

Edited by HorsescentS

Are you letting it burn all the way down to the bottom before deciding whether a particular wick made a good enough FMP?

Yes ma'am. :) Though I'm not all the way through the full 4627 yet. The straight millennium and blended both were burned to the end and have not found good wicks yet. I just ordered some 93's. I'll give those a whirl. Thanks!

I am not sure what size to use with that wax and jar, but I have found in single wick jars that are not real wide, the LX's seem to work for me. I do not use that wax. I have used the Clarus 70/30 in the Roly Polies and the small hurricane Anchor Hocking jars and the LX wicks work well in those jars. The Jelly jar is wider but the LX's may work well in them too. I am not sure though if LX wicks do well with the 4627. I just recall that the Eco's, Htp's and especially the CD's seem to get bigger flames than the LX's. I think the next best wick I have used in the small hurricane jars were the HTP's.

Edited by Holly

Yes ma'am. :) Though I'm not all the way through the full 4627 yet. The straight millennium and blended both were burned to the end and have not found good wicks yet. I just ordered some 93's. I'll give those a whirl. Thanks!

The HTP 93's should work in 4627 in that jar, because I use the HTP 83 and 73 in my jelly jars, which are just a taller version of the jar you're using. So the shorter jar needs a bigger wick to get an FMP. To me, the HT/CT of straight 4627 is so good I wouldn't want to mix any other wax into it.

The HTP 93's should work in 4627 in that jar, because I use the HTP 83 and 73 in my jelly jars, which are just a taller version of the jar you're using. So the shorter jar needs a bigger wick to get an FMP. To me, the HT/CT of straight 4627 is so good I wouldn't want to mix any other wax into it.

That is what I am thinking....a 93 HTP. That is the size that I have been testing lately in the short Oval Hexagon jars with the Clarus 70/30 wax and it seems to work well. I have not tested it enough though to know how big of a flame it will get if burned beyond a certain amount of time. Now that I think of it....how short and open the 4 oz. jelly jar is....I think the HTP may be better than the LX, but she may want to try the LX.

I do recall that when a jar is very open and not tall, the flame can get even bigger because there is more oxygen compared to the taller jars. It seems like it is either feast or famine at times....flames to large in the wide open jars and sometimes weaker flames in the taller jars.

Edited by Holly

Thanks Holly. I'm certainly not opposed to trying the LX wick. I've been reading people having success with cotton cores in soy. May give those a whirl too. Hearing you talk about the small flame height is really appealing to me. How does the HT in the LX compare to the HTP for you?

I had the same thought process as you, HS. I haven't messed with the 8oz'er yet. Have used up to the 1212 HTP in my soy test and while it cleaned the sides, it did get on hotter side and the flame height was crazy high. Decent results for the 104 and 105 as well as far as cleaning sides but still wasn't happy with flame size. 93 is one I haven't tried but will soon.

Holly, I totally get what you mean by feast or famine re: flame size. Don't have my notes by me but do recall experiencing that as well.

thought I'd also mention I've only been working with one fo in these so far. Trying to keep my hair. :)

Regarding the throw comparison with the HTP and LX, it is hard to say, because when I settled on either wick for whatever application, the throw passed. I hope that makes sense. I never used the HTP's in the Roly Polies, but the LX's gave a great scent throw when wicked correctly. I have not compared the LX's and the HTP's in the Oval Hexagon jars yet....just started testing these. I can't remember if there was a difference between the throw in the small hurricane jars between the LX and HTP. It has been awhile. I like both wicks depending on the application. Since I keep my candles colorless, the LX's are prettier in the colorless wax, especially in a more delicate looking jar (Roly Poly)....low profile wicks. Hope that helps! :)

You are welcome!

P.S. Since the jar is the short open one, I am not sure if the LX will get the meltpool out to the sides as easy as the HTP. I would give it a try though. I cannot recall if the HTP is supposed to burn hotter than the LX or not. On another note, I know that Zinc's do tend to mushroom and do not look as nice after a burn but it may work well getting the meltpool out to the sides, especially since it is not a wick that bends. Although, I do remember reading that zinc's burn cooler but not sure if I am remembering right.

Edited by Holly

Although, I do remember reading that zinc's burn cooler but not sure if I am remembering right.

You're not mistaken. I've seen that zinc burns cooler on a wick supplier's handout, but from what people say about how much of an MP it gives compared to others, I'm surprised. I've never used them personally. Hesitant to even try them even though lead content is very miniscule.

I love the HT and flame size of the HTP. I don't like the flat mushrooms it gets now and then and sometimes it has a bit of an afterglow (< not a deal breaker). I love how the ECO's burn (wick doesn't curl much if at all and no mushrooming), but I don't have much luck getting HT from it. Have just recently been trying cd's in another size container and am happy with them so far for that application.

A little off topic, but it's strange... I am getting more CT/HT from my straight millennium vs. 50/50 of 4627 & mil using the cd's. It's strange considering the throw from 4627 on its own. This is based on first burn after 24 hours. I'm waiting a couple of days before trying the 2nd burn. It doesn't help we have loft style ceilings. I've had to resort to putting them in our master bath which happens to have an open ceiling into our bedroom. So it's more of a large sized room. Guess I'll know which ones are super throwers...

Thank you for the suggestions on LX wick sizing. Out of curiosity, do they have the thin paper filament in them that's similar to htps?

That is what I am thinking....a 93 HTP. That is the size that I have been testing lately in the short Oval Hexagon jars with the Clarus 70/30 wax and it seems to work well. I have not tested it enough though to know how big of a flame it will get if burned beyond a certain amount of time. Now that I think of it....how short and open the 4 oz. jelly jar is....I think the HTP may be better than the LX, but she may want to try the LX.

I do recall that when a jar is very open and not tall, the flame can get even bigger because there is more oxygen compared to the taller jars. It seems like it is either feast or famine at times....flames to large in the wide open jars and sometimes weaker flames in the taller jars.

With HTP wicks the flame stays on the small side, and they're self trimming. I never trim mine when testing because most customers won't, so even if the HTP wick looks a bit longer than 1/4" before I relight the candle, it will adjust down to the right size within minutes of burning. And the HTP curls over, so it needs to be a bit longer than 1/4" before relighting because the curve makes it shorter. Even when I power burn, the flame never gets too big.

HTP's work very well in EL waxes.

I've switched to CD's and CDN's..as they work well in EL Container. And Candle Cocoon carries them..which is where I get 90% of my oils and my wax. :D

I had to look and see which jar Peaks was selling.. It's the wide mouth. I'd say at least a 93, but with some oils you may need a 104/105.

In CDN, a 16 or 18.

But that is my opinion with EL waxes only..not blended...no clue there..

You're not mistaken. I've seen that zinc burns cooler on a wick supplier's handout, but from what people say about how much of an MP it gives compared to others, I'm surprised. I've never used them personally. Hesitant to even try them even though lead content is very miniscule.

I love the HT and flame size of the HTP. I don't like the flat mushrooms it gets now and then and sometimes it has a bit of an afterglow (< not a deal breaker). I love how the ECO's burn (wick doesn't curl much if at all and no mushrooming), but I don't have much luck getting HT from it. Have just recently been trying cd's in another size container and am happy with them so far for that application.

A little off topic, but it's strange... I am getting more CT/HT from my straight millennium vs. 50/50 of 4627 & mil using the cd's. It's strange considering the throw from 4627 on its own. This is based on first burn after 24 hours. I'm waiting a couple of days before trying the 2nd burn. It doesn't help we have loft style ceilings. I've had to resort to putting them in our master bath which happens to have an open ceiling into our bedroom. So it's more of a large sized room. Guess I'll know which ones are super throwers...

Thank you for the suggestions on LX wick sizing. Out of curiosity, do they have the thin paper filament in them that's similar to htps?

Good morning! I have used Zincs for various paraffin candles at one time and even though they have said they burn cooler, I never had any trouble producing a great meltpool. In one way it is great that they do not bend but then on the other side of the coin, standing straight up with a mushroom can be a little noticeable. Over the years I have learned to embrace some things with certain applications. If I didn't I would never sell anything. lol I tend to be a perfectionist but some things we can't always fix. I think we are are much more critical of our own candles vs. those we buy, unless the ones that we buy will not stay lit or has a healthy flame but smokes like a chimney. This drives me nuts, especially flames that get weak.

Regarding the LX wick. It looks like a white flat cotton wick but is braided. The braiding is less noticeable than the HTP's, Eco's or CD's since it is a white wick. They look completely different than the HTP's. I definitely like them for certain applications. I am like you, I tend to prefer the HTP's over the Eco's and over the CD's as well. I have used CD's in the Madison jars. I can't remember why they ended up doing the best in those jars but that is what I ended up going with. For smaller jars, LX's and Htp's seem to do the best for me.

Regarding adding paraffin to your soy. I tried adding paraffin to my soy back in the day in order to relieve frosting and 4627 was one of the ones I tried out of several. It decreased the scent throw for me too. I have mixed several waxes together and find this to be a very common outcome.

Keep us posted!

Edited by Holly

@HS: Normally I'd agree with you on HTP flame size. Today they were on the bigger side and similar to the ECO flame. I didn't trim the ECO this time before lighting and it was curling as well (nice flame size too). Normally it's pretty straight for me if I trim before lighting. I'm almost finished burning the 4627 in this jar. The smallest I've used is the 73 and that almost seems too big now that it's getting to the bottom. However, I'm going to try the 93 for EL and my blend still.

@MrsPac: Thanks for the suggestions I have the CDN 16 on hand and will try that for EL. I've never tried Candle Cocoon. I'll have to look into them!

@Holly: I understand what you mean re: embracing some application results. It IS interesting how critical we are of our own. I remember burning candles for pure scent before I ever thought to make my own and do not recall ever being so critical of the ones I was burning at the time. Guess it's a matter of directional awareness.

I haven't used anything other than straight sided jars. I think I'll stick with them for now. lol It's strange that I get great HT from both EL and 4627 on their own but together they aren't as good. My decision to blend was purely out of my desire to improve the appearance of EL. I was hoping for a pour and forget it type of deal, but not so. I will continue to update my results for sure.

@HS: Normally I'd agree with you on HTP flame size. Today they were on the bigger side and similar to the ECO flame. I didn't trim the ECO this time before lighting and it was curling as well (nice flame size too). Normally it's pretty straight for me if I trim before lighting. I'm almost finished burning the 4627 in this jar. The smallest I've used is the 73 and that almost seems too big now that it's getting to the bottom. However, I'm going to try the 93 for EL and my blend still.

So, the HTP 73 worked well for you in 4627 in that jar? Is that the wick that had a bigger flame similar to the ECO flame?

For me, 4627 behaves itself much better if I wait a couple of days before testing.

Edited by HorsescentS

Sorry, I'm probably being confusing as I've made mention with wicks to different types of wax and blends. I have already done tests on EL and an EL/4627 blend without finding a good wick for this size of jar. I'm currently testing the 4627 by itself.

I normally wait 24-28 hours before I test. For the 4627 batch I waited 24 hours before testing. The 73 and 83 were both okay through the third 3-4 hour burn. However, at the end of the fourth burn, I'm not so sure. I may have to go down a size in the HTP. And what seemed too big in the ECO's in the 4627 (2,4,6), looked a lot better in this fourth burn when I didn't trim the wicks. This was totally by accident as I always trim, but forgot this round. So that is a factor I will have to look more into with the ECO's. The HTP seems to be consuming the wax at a faster rate as well. I'm still going to try the 93 with the EL as well as LX and CDN.

Thanks for the rec on waiting longer for the 4627. I will try that in my next batch.