Testing help!!!!

Another question, and this one is important, Adam. How long after the candle was poured did you start burning it? Was there any warmth left to the jar before you started burning it?

As a thought, have you considered doing wickless jars and melters? You'll still need to test, but it's not as frustrating as making sure the burn is doing well.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not going to bust your stones for trying to get up and running in a months time Adam...I think that's been taken care of already LOL...and rightly too. ;) I have been making candles/soap for geesh...since 2007 I guess and I am still not confident enough to sell. Sure, I do give as gifts but I've spent lots and lots of time reading, testing. If you don't have the attention span to read and learn, then this is not the hobby/business for you.

It costs ALOT of money. I'm talking ALOT! I can't even give you a figure on what I've spent. I don't know that I will ever get back what I have put into this.

It really sucks to lose a job. The economy really blows out there. Candlemaking is not a get rich quick scheme. And I am sure you are aware of this now.

I did peak at your candles that you posted on your site. You need to put a lot more effort into your labels. They were crooked and to be quite honest, if I saw them at a craft show, I would likely pass on by. I'm not saying this to be mean, I'm just being honest. You will find there is competition at craft shows. You need to present the VERY best product you can...and this includes your whole presentation.

Stick around here and read the forums. This will be the best thing you could do.

Another question, and this one is important, Adam. How long after the candle was poured did you start burning it? Was there any warmth left to the jar before you started burning it?

As a thought, have you considered doing wickless jars and melters? You'll still need to test, but it's not as frustrating as making sure the burn is doing well.

The candle was made in weeks ago.

I'm not going to bust your stones for trying to get up and running in a months time Adam...I think that's been taken care of already LOL...and rightly too. ;) I have been making candles/soap for geesh...since 2007 I guess and I am still not confident enough to sell. Sure, I do give as gifts but I've spent lots and lots of time reading, testing. If you don't have the attention span to read and learn, then this is not the hobby/business for you.

It costs ALOT of money. I'm talking ALOT! I can't even give you a figure on what I've spent. I don't know that I will ever get back what I have put into this.

It really sucks to lose a job. The economy really blows out there. Candlemaking is not a get rich quick scheme. And I am sure you are aware of this now.

I did peak at your candles that you posted on your site. You need to put a lot more effort into your labels. They were crooked and to be quite honest, if I saw them at a craft show, I would likely pass on by. I'm not saying this to be mean, I'm just being honest. You will find there is competition at craft shows. You need to present the VERY best product you can...and this includes your whole presentation.

Stick around here and read the forums. This will be the best thing you could do.

Thanks. I have pulled my sites and pulled myself from the Craft Bazaar. I have a few supplies on their way now that I have ordered with my last check and that is what I will be focusing on DAILY until I get a job. As for the labels yes I know they look back. I wasn't got to spend $100s of to get a shiny custom label. I use address labels that I can just print right at home.

Most definitely that wick is to big..interesting that it came with the kit for those jars, wax, blah blah blah..

That is a melt pool that should have been created after 3-4 hours of burning..still a little deep even for a 4 hour burn on an almost full jar.

Thanks. I have pulled my sites and pulled myself from the Craft Bazaar. I have a few supplies on their way now that I have ordered with my last check and that is what I will be focusing on DAILY until I get a job. As for the labels yes I know they look back. I wasn't got to spend $100s of to get a shiny custom label. I use address labels that I can just print right at home.

Adam, I print up my own labels, hang tags too. You don't have to spend money on custom printed. Alot of us make our own.

Avery has a free label design tool...called design pro that you can download and use for free. It's a great free designer. You just have to buy your own labels. I use 2x4" labels for most of my jars. I hang tag the 8 oz masons and my pillars.

Here is my hang tag for my reed diffusors. Took my personal info off...and this is only the front, but you get the idea. I buy the avery business cards for these, but you could certainly use card stock, I do that too for different colors. It's a bit blurry on here, but it's because I converted it to a jpeg file.

post-10297-139458502457_thumb.jpg

Edited by debratant

Adam, I print up my own labels, hang tags too. You don't have to spend money on custom printed. Alot of us make our own.

Avery has a free label design tool...called design pro that you can download and use for free. It's a great free designer. You just have to buy your own labels. I use 2x4" labels for most of my jars. I hang tag the 8 oz masons and my pillars.

Here is my hang tag for my reed diffusors. Took my personal info off...and this is only the front, but you get the idea. I buy the avery business cards for these, but you could certainly use card stock, I do that too for different colors. It's a bit blurry on here, but it's because I converted it to a jpeg file.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24863[/ATTACH]

Your tag looks great! I've never been able to find a label design download on the Avery website, do they make use design the labels online now? If they still have a download, could you please post a link? I would love to use it, if possible. TIA :D

Edited by HorsescentS

Pretty Labels Miss Debratant!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24863[/ATTACH]

Your tag looks great! I've never been able to find a label design download on the Avery website, do they make use design the labels online now? If they still have a download, could you please post a link? I would love to use it, if possible. TIA :D

Thanks!

Here is the link to their site Horse :)

http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Templates-%26-Software/Software/Avery-Design--Print-Online.htm?int_id=templatesandsoftware-adpo#

I don't always use it, I kinda bounce between publisher and my scrapbook factory deluxe cd for stuff. I am pretty sure you can design right online with this one.