Can I put my location of my company on bottom Warning Label?

Hi everyone,

So from info gathered from a prior post I am including this info on my front label:

Logo

Name of company

Net Wt in oz (g)

Description: Hand-poured Soy Candle

Website

*My company is in the local Yellow Pages so to my understanding I don't have to print my whole address?

Can I put my Company Name with City/State on the bottom label with warning instructions?

Or is this overkill? LOL

Thank you in advance!!

Company Name

City, State

Website

Ph

That's how mine read. Ph # was added when I had revised the label to add it. Several customers asked for my ph so having it on my labels is how many tell me they contact me. They mostly use my website to check out whats on sale and my craft show calender.

There is nothing that says you can't add as much information to your label as you want. There is a Federal reguation that requires the minimum you must have:

16 Code of Federal Regulations (Fair Packaging and Labeling Act) covers the labeling requirements. This is an excerpt:

Sec. 500.1 Scope of the regulations of this part.

The regulations in this part establish requirements for labeling of consumer commodities as hereinafter defined with respect to identity of the commodity; the name and place of business of the manufacturer, ... ; the net quantity of contents; ... .

The place of business: Sec. 500.5 Name and place of business of manufacturer, packer or distributor.

© The statement of the place of business shall include the street address, city, State, and Zip Code; however, the street address may be omitted if it is shown in a current city directory or telephone directory. (It doesn't allow for a web addy in lieu of the address.)

The net quantity: Sec. 500.7 Net quantity of contents, method of expression.

... The net quantity of contents statement shall be in terms of fluid measure if the commodity is liquid, or in terms of weight or mass if the commodity is solid, semi-solid, or viscous, or a mixture of solid and liquid. (It does not allow for "hours of burn" in lieu of the net weight.)

This is the link to the regulations: http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fpla/part500.htm

I've seen so many candlemakers with inadequate labeling ... but that's probably because they aren't aware of this regulation. It took a long time for me to find this. HTH

I think it's horrible that someone who works from home is forced to put their physical home address on the label, it's not safe to do that anymore. I'm not doing it.

Its the law, you have to. What if someone has a fire or has a child ingest it?

If you don't want that info out there, the solution is to have a commercial building. Period. If you get caught not having this info, there is a hefty fine AND they shut you down. Alternative? None.

Horsescents in regards to your address on your label: That is my concern as well. Somewhere I read that legally as long as your business name and address is in your city's Yellow Pages you can just list the city/state. I'm not 100% sure though.

I just found this site from a prior post by Lovelylathers. Not sure if this only applies to cosmetics though.

http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/CosmeticLabelingLabelClaims/CosmeticLabelingManual/ucm126438.htm

**Just sent the US Consumer Product Safety Commission an email with the question regarding home addresses etc. Will post answer when I hear from them!

I'm paranoid about doing the right thing! LOL

Edited by msant
Updated information

Its the law, you have to. What if someone has a fire or has a child ingest it?

If you don't want that info out there, the solution is to have a commercial building. Period. If you get caught not having this info, there is a hefty fine AND they shut you down. Alternative? None.

I think the situation you've described above is less likely than an even worse scenario, which I've actually seen happen, and that is: some creep sees you at a craft fair or wherever, then gets your physical address off of one of your products, and either stalks you or comes to your house and then you're the victim of a home invasion, rape, robbery, or murder.

I think the situation you've described above is less likely than an even worse scenario, which I've actually seen happen, and that is: some creep sees you at a craft fair or wherever, then gets your physical address off of one of your products, and either stalks you or comes to your house and then you're the victim of a home invasion, rape, robbery, or murder.

I have to admit, that scenario has crossed my mind too!

I'm a big, burly, scary looking guy and *I* worry about this and don't feel comfortable putting my full address on labels.

Thank you! I'm wondering if anybody puts a P.O. box on their labels instead of physical address, would that be safer? or is just city and state enough? what about a website/email and/or a cell phone number?

• 2 weeks later...

That's a load of crap. Driving 55 is the law too. I went to our local Pier One Imports and not a single candle sold at that national chain listed the candle weight. Many sold at Walmart did not either. Use common sense and forget the hall monitor types on this board! The candle police will NOT show up at your business. Just stupid advice!!!

That's a load of crap. Driving 55 is the law too. I went to our local Pier One Imports and not a single candle sold at that national chain listed the candle weight. Many sold at Walmart did not either. Use common sense and forget the hall monitor types on this board! The candle police will NOT show up at your business. Just stupid advice!!!

Thank you so very much for saying that! You really put it in perspective.

I will never put my physical address. I do have a PO Box to use when sending packages. City and state are enough.

They can fine me and shut me down!!! I will not print my address with all of the crazy things that go on...is it worth your families safety!!???

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I've decided to put my phone number, website, city/state on the bottom warning label of my candles. (Thanks Jackbenimble for input on location being important for local customers...didn't think of that!)

My business cards also don't have my address and I'm thinking of getting a post office box as things progress. :)