Aztecs FO

flairforlife

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I have posted in the other thread about Aztec having the FO sale :

Have used / adore / sells well / HT and CT well in paraffin (4794 ) and MP if applicable

Cherry (super duper strong, smells like Ludens Cherry Cough Drops)

Bedtime Bath ( better than J&J baby wash, could eat this stuff )

Barnwood ( I love earthy scents and this is like real wood)

Oak Moss ( identical to BC's , omg... nuff said )

Squirrley Nuts ( yummy, good throw but I put extra in mine cause I love it )

Sweet Serenade ( good combo of flowers/perfume and to me a hit of fizz )

Lavender ( I love it because it's a true, not perfume-y but more herbal lavender)

Vanilla Bean Noel ( dead on dupe of BBW)

Pink Sugar (dead duplicate of my long time BC favorite )

Blackberry Sage ( dup of one I got from Community Candle/Alabaster) great

Clean Cotton (STRONG like , back off a little strong )

Kentucky Bourbon ( so different, very strong, also great mixer)

Apples Strudel ( one of my favorite bakery scents )

Birthday Cake ( I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't tried it, amazing!)

Have tried / small runs / sold well / adding to or replacing some of line with

Autumn Leaves

Bamboo

Blackberry Sage

Butterscotch Brulee

Christmas Splendor

Cranberry ( straight , not too sweet )

Gummy Bears

Jasmine Vanilla

Lemon Grass

Love Spell ( was seeing if dupe from CS, it works well )

Oatmeal & Honey ( replacing another supplier )

White Peach & Hibiscus

Guest OldGlory

Most of the fragrances I use are from Aztec. They're close to me so I save on shipping, but I am pretty picky about my FOs so I wouldn't hesitate to order from elsewhere. And I do buy some FOs from other sources.

I use 6006 and 464 for one of my wholesale clients, and 464 pretty much everywhere else. The 6006 doesn't frost on the sides with spicy FOs like 464 does, so they prefer that in glass jars. 90% of the 464 is poured into tins.

The Aztec FOs that I use are:

Apple Jack & Peel - a best seller for me

Fresh Cut Christmas Tree

Blackberry Sage - a best seller for me

Cozy Cabin

Caramel Pecan Pie (I wish I could drink this)

Barn Wood

Mistletoe Kisses - one wholesale client's favorite

Lavender - the nicest candle Lavender FO I've found

Vanilla Bean

Citrus & Sage

Fresh Linen

Lovespell

White Tea & Ginger

Cranberry - nice and tart

Mulberry

Ed Hardy

Juicy Couture

Baked Apple Pie

Creme Brulee

Clean Cotton

Cherry

Cool Water

Warm Orange Gingerbread - this is fabulous!

I just tried Oud Wood and I'm using it in perfume. Very nice on the skin, lots of base notes in it.

There have been many more I've used and liked in soy.

Sorry this is a day after the sale. I tried to respond yesterday but was unsuccessful.

Thank you all! I did place my order and some are for candles and some for soaps. Sounds like they will all be great. Went ahead and went with some of the Christmas scents (a little early). These are what I decided on:

Cozy Cabin

Angel Wings

Victorian Christmas

Lemon Grass

Autumn Leaves

Endless Love

Heavenly

SoCal for Men

Twilight

Water Orchid

Bayberry

Christmas Splendor

I wish I had tried the Oak Moss and the Cranberry. I did read about the Oud Wood, sounded interesting.

I just got my first ever order from them (from the sale) tonight. What fast (but outrageously expensive!) shipping.

I am VERY, VERY picky about scents (both for wearing & for the home) and don't like about 90% of what I smell in bath and body scents/designer scents, etc.

I'm new to tart/melts so I'm new to those type of scents.

Maybe I'm just being very picky as usual. But out of 21 scents there are (so far) only 4 I am sure I like out of the bottle. 4 more I might like. 10 I am pretty sure I don't. And 3 I HATE.

Is it just me or are the vanilla/bakery scents overly buttery and/or boozy (in a literaly way not a extract vanilla, just the booze note) and fake smelling? I LOVE vanilla scents and sweet scents but these just aren't good to my nose.

I am SO dissapointed, considering I paid $11.64 in shipping for 21 scents and 1/2 lb of scent beads (21 oz + 1/2 a pound!). I actually kind of feel cheated since most of the scents are likely pretty bad.

I'd love your thoughts on the scents. Maybe it's just me. I'd like to know so I can hopefully avoid scents similar from other etailers that I won't like.

I'm dipping a q-tip lightly in the other scents and seeing how I like them in smaller doses, one a time.

LOVED (out of the bottle no testing)

-Pink Sugar (good dupe, smells pretty strong)

-Warm Vanilla Sugar (smells spot on, but might be a weak to moderate scent)

-Cotton Blossom (smells very good very close/maybe a true dupe) (moderate to strong)

-Iced Lemon Cookie (almost didn't get this one! I'm not usually a big fan of lemon scents) (this is very strong out of the bottle and a rich true lemon cookie smell no funky notes and not overly buttery of fake smelling-I would swear there was a cookie nearby)

Don't Like: (out of the bottle no testing other than q-tip testing

-Buttercream (very strong) (out of the bottle its very spicy not spice cake like but a faint clove undertone with a hint of soft cinnamon, on a qtip it's better but I REALLY hate cloves so this won't work for me-otherwise I think I might like it it's not almondy or overly buttery and the vanilla isn't cheap smelling.)

-Kentucky Bourbon (I think I may have thought it was more of a bourbon vanilla. It is VERY boozy. I don't think it's necessarily a bad scent. But not for me.) (Strong) (EDIT: On a q tip it's moderate in strength and smells a lot like buttered rum, exactly like butter rum candy. I think it would be better called that.)

-Caramel Pecan Pie (Doesn't remotely smell like it's namesake.) (EDIT: tested on Q-tip-I smell a very buttery smell some baking spice mix that's subtle and the rest I can't describe other than some slight vanilla.) (It just smells icky.) (I am going to have to throw this one away-the others I don't like I think some of my friends might but this one is BAD.)

May or May Not Like (need to q tip test)

Vanilla Bean

Birthday Cake

Frosting

Sugar Cookie

Probably Won't Like

French Vanilla

Chestnuts & Brown Sugar (I have smelled this before at an etailer and it was a lot nicer than this)

Creme Brulee

Cotton Candy (smells like bubblegum not remotely recognizable as cotton candy I don't even smell vanilla)

-Hazelnut (doesn't remotely smell like anything hazelnut hard to describe) (EDIT: Q-tip test-Still not hazelnut. It smells like a very mild, mellow cherry almond scent. I'm not a fan of either one. But it is not a bad scent for that type of scent. It's not harsh and bold like a lot of almond scents. There's a vaguely "nutty" undertone in addition to the almond it's not like hazelnut though. I would rename this something in the cherry almond-nut family because that's really what I'm smelling. I don't like it but it's not horrible. It's just not for me.)

Squirrelly Nut

Molten Lava Cake (I think this one it's not so much the scent but me. The coco is a bit dry to my taste.)

Fresh Linen

Clothesline

-Edit: Clean Cotton (This is weird!) (It doesn't smell anything like a clean scent.) (I'm getting a peachy/necterine type scent somewhat like Maybe Baby or a touch like Baby Bee Buttermilk's fruity note. It's a fresh clean, crisp peachy scent that's juicy and lovely. But just not clean cotton or for me.) (The bottle does say clean cotton, I can't help but wonder if it's mislabled?)

Edited by miagracie

Another Review: (Q tip test)

-Frosting

Smells nothing like frosting. I would say it's a VERY, VERY, VERY buttery scent like 75% butter 25% vanilla. The butter is a bit boozy, but not overly so but enough that I don't care for it. It's like the butter rum type scent but without the rum just a touch of the booze and the same vanilla. It does not smell like extract or a vanilla to me. Just a fakey weird vanilla. Not plasticy but just almost unrecognizable as vanilla. No frosting, buttercream notes maybe a hint of a cakey note but not very much of one, it's barely perceptable. I do NOT like this one. I would call it " VERY Buttery Vanilla"

-Cotton Candy: (Q-tip test)

This is a LOT weaker than the other scents on the q-tip. It does not smell like cotton candy. But I've yet to really find any scent that does except for a vanilla years ago that I can't find anymore.

It's a bit bubblegum-fruity. There might be a hint of a vanilla almost cotton candy undertone to it. If it were the main scent I think I would like it but it's so hidden it's barely there. It's a pleasant scent overall. The fruits are juicy but I can't quite tell what they are maybe berries? I would call it Fruity Candy or something like that. It's not for me though (and I LOVE Pink Sugar, Delicous Cotton Candy, Azuccaro Sugar Water).

Fresh Linen (Q-tip test)

This is SO soapy. As in sharp and harsh to the nose. It's pretty strong and you can almost taste the soap. It's a shame because under the harsh soap note it's really lovely a fresh laundry scent. But the soap note is just overwhelming. Not for me. I'd call it "Bar Soap." I really was hoping it was a laundry scent.

-Creme Brulee (Q tip test)

VERY, VERY buttery with just a hint of a fruity undertone. I'm getting some vanilla and sweet notes but it's mostly just an overwhelming sweet butter note. A little bit of carmel kind of like a hard disc candy is in there somewhere but it's just so overwhelmed by the buttery notes. I should also note it's a bit boozy but not overwhelmingly so, but moderately. Not for me.

Edited by miagracie

Vanilla Bean (q-tip test)

Again a VERY, VERY buttery vanilla. All of the vanilla's I've tried from Aztec so far are like 85% butter maybe 15% vanilla at best. I just don't expect a buttery note from a vanilla bean scent.

Underneath the buttery note is a fairly dry vanilla with just the tinest hint of sugar. But to me it's not a true vanilla but a fakey, generic one.

I get mine today.

There was a handling charge with shipping but it balanced out. I got 13 one ouncers and my shipping was just $5 something. The handling showed $2 and shipping the remaining $3 something.

That is pretty cheap compared to what I usually pay for similar sized orders.

I figured out a long time ago that OOB... yeah, do NOT go on OOB. Put it in something. A TON of these fo's out there, are manufactured to go into products that require some heat to do a chemical reaction to change the smell.

Think of it like a cake... while the cake batter tastes pretty good, the baked cake tastes really good and also different from when it was baked.

You've talked about Vanilla a lot. There's a HUGE difference between smelling and tasting real vanilla extract.... tasting it, its YUCKY .. imitation vanilla tastes better out of the bottle.

But if you BAKE with true vanilla extract, you absolutely get a different and amazingly better product.

Ahhh...I see what you mean! Thanks for educating me. I had no idea but it makes sense. I don't like the smell of cake or cookie batter (likely do to the margarine/butter "raw" scent) but love the smell of actual cake or cookies themselves.

Again, so true-vanilla extract is a great example. Smells boozy out of the bottle but baked it's wonderful. And so true about the difference between imitation & real vanilla!

Since I am VERY new at this, I think I'm treating the scents like bath and body/perfumes. I know they are different out of the bottle than on the skin-because of the way they react with each person, and change as they go through the layers of notes.

I think I just assumed that candle type oils were static and smelled the same out of the bottle as in the tart/candle. I thought that if there was something I didn't like about them out of the bottle that I REALLY wouldn't like it when it was heated and stronger in a tart.

Question-if you don't like it out of the bottle is it possible with the chemical changes blacktieaffair mentioned (which was VERY smart and something I didn't have the sense to think of) to find you do like it in wax?

The only way I can think of is to actually put it in the wax and see what happens ( also allow for the recommended cure time for your wax ). There are so many master crafters on here I wouldn't be surprised if they pop in with some way of doing it, but as for me, that's all I can think of . Sorry :(

Question-if you don't like it out of the bottle is it possible with the chemical changes blacktieaffair mentioned (which was VERY smart and something I didn't have the sense to think of) to find you do like it in wax?

Yes, all the time. Moonworks & Candle Cocoon are a good example for me. Some of them actually make me gag they are so yuchy. In wax absolutely amazing!!!! The vendors will even let you know this in their descriptions sometimes. Until you put the FOs in wax to test them you won't know. It's just fun sniffing the little bottles, like getting presents in the mail.

Yes! I have a handfull of FO's that I don't like OOB - but once in my wax.. yumm! Dragon's Blood is one, when I sniffed OOB I was like EEWWWW - but once in wax it's great. Give them a shot - make a tart - only out a couple ounces and you might be pleasantly surprized!!

Hey guy! I got my order in today and I'm opening as we speak so this is my OOB first impressions of these. I've never ordered from Aztec before either.

Creme Brûlée- ok, it has a weird smell, buttery, needs to be in wax

Orange Chiffon Cake (CR)- light, I smell the orange first then the cake note. It's okay IMO

Sugared Spruce- smells like spruce with a bit of sweetness

Country Lemonade- smalls like lemon candies. Yuck! Maybe it will be better in wax.

Toasted Marshmellow- smells like lucky charms marshmallows. Hehe!

Campfire- has a smoky note but can smell the eucalyptus

Vanilla Bean Noel- never smelled the BBW type but it smell like vanilla with a hint of musk. It's nice.

Gain Type- smells like laundry.

Cheesecake- I do smell the cheesecake to it. Needs to be in wax.

Starbucks Coffee Type- smells like coffee, medium

Kentucky Bourbon- sweet, boozy scent

Sparkling Clean- nice clean bathroom smell, light

Christmas Cheer- I can smell cinnamon, clove, a hint of citrus. Very nice, medium strong

Honeysuckle- medium strong, smells like honeysuckle, I like CS honeysuckle jasmin better.

Cinnamon (CR)- medium strong, a mix of red hot and reg cinnamon

Prince Charming- medium strong, smells like a nice men's cologne

April Fresh Downy Type- strong, smells like laundry!

Chocolate Brownie- can smell chocolate but no brownie note, medium, needs to be in wax

Autumn Leaves- medium, smells good, can't describe this scent but it's earthy and true to its name.

French Vanilla Latte- very nice, medium strong, you get the coffee and then the vanilla. Yum!

Lemon Pound Cake- smells ok, smells like lemon candies with a cake note, not overly impressed, needs to be in wax.

Amish Harvest- very cinnamon and spice, medium

Sun N Sand Yankee Type- medium light, kinda smalls like the yankme candle but needs to be in wax.

Fresh Cut Christmas Tree- light medium, Elements rocky mtn pine is better

French Vanilla- light, ehh, it's okay

Chocolate Chip Cookies- medium strong, can smell more chocolate but do smell the cookie too

Oreo Cookie Type- medium, it's not exactly like the cookie but it's close.

Cinnamon Bun- strong! Smells like cinnamon buns with a bit of icing!

Barn Wood- medium strong, can't exactly describe, woody, musky, not my fav

Duck Farts- medium strong, fruity, it's ok, nothing special

Mango Peach Salsa Type- never smelled the yankme version, medium, smelled the mango and peach. It's ok

Iced Lemon Cookie- medium, smells like the lemon cookies from church

Cotton Blossom- medium, fresh, cottony, nice:-)

Fresh Butter Biscuits- smell only butter but maybe a hint of flour, medium, needs to be in wax

Drops of Rain- medium, fresh, watery, it's ok

These are only my first impressions. I do feel that most of these need to be put into wax to truely judge what the scent will be like. My hopes are good but like anything nothing's a sure thing. Hope you like my quick review!

Edited by jackbenimble

I got my first set of FO's.

They messed up two of the FO samples, and at first the lady at Aztec was trying to tell me they don't even CARRY the FO I received.. She said they haven't for two months (Pear Berry B&BW Type).

Any who, my second round of oils will be here early next week.. Eeeeeek

Pink Sugar: I've already used this in the past.. it's a lot sweeter than most on the market (Think KY's version)

Iced Lemon Cookies: I've used this one in the past, also.. Super yummy.. and VERY strong... in wax, you can really smell the Sugar Cookie notes.

Oreo Cookie Type: OOB, it smells better than a lot of the "Cookies & Cream" FO's on the market... It's not overly sweet... I'm told once wax, you can actually smell the cream filling..

Creme Burlee: OOB, stinks like crap... Reminds me of that gooey paste that comes in the metal tubes, and you roll it into a ball and stick it on a straw and blow a bubble. I've used this in a blend, so I know it does very well in wax.

Dark Kiss B&BW Type: OOB, Very Close.. It has that Berry note with the musk, and it's an even balance.. not too much musk, like others on the market.

Vitoria Secret Very Sexy (Both Men/Women version): Dead on.. I'm thinking these would sell well in soaps.. not so much wax... hopefully they preform well.

Pear Berry: OOB, DEAD on.. I used to love this scent in lotion.. I hoarded 30 tubes when it was on sale for $3.50 a bottle, and I was being greedy and didn't end up using it all.. I think I had my hoard for 3 years.. they eventually went bad and I ended up throwing 10 bottles out.. since then, i've been Pear Berry'd out, but WOW. I love this FO. definitely going to use this sample in tarts and see how it does!

Edited by Beezy