branching out

I may be opening a big can of worms here, but I have never made a pillar candle before - I do jars, and tarts, and tealights, and votives, but was thinking of branching out. Has anyone come across a site or linq that has through instructions for making pillars? I'm not used to plugs and mold sealer, so it just seems so foreign to me. Any tips on wax, molds, plugs, etc for a pillar newbie would be greatly appreciated.

I just made my first pillar! :) It didn't turn out exactly how I wanted it, but I might scrap some of it for extra wax to make it look better.

My mother gave me a premade kit from Michael's (I think) and that worked well. The only thing is that it was missing a wick screw, but I just improvised with the sealer. Heh. So yeah, I recommend getting a kit for your first time and following the instructions. :) But it's fun, I promise.

Good luck!

I may be opening a big can of worms here, but I have never made a pillar candle before - I do jars, and tarts, and tealights, and votives, but was thinking of branching out. Has anyone come across a site or linq that has through instructions for making pillars? I'm not used to plugs and mold sealer, so it just seems so foreign to me. Any tips on wax, molds, plugs, etc for a pillar newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Look over on the left side of your screen and you will see a button that says "Basic Instructions" - It has step by step instructions with pics I believe

Yeah I would suggest reading at www.candletech.com for your pillar interests ;)

Mold seal -- helps to seal off the bottom of the mold where the wick hole is so that wax doesn't spit out and make more of a mess than you want ;)

Plugs -- rubbers. God that sounds bad, but they are stuck into the wick hole, usually next to the wicking to keep the wick in place and then glob on the mold seal to keep the wax from leaking.

Wax -- don't use container wax or votive wax. You'll have to play around with whatever. Perhaps a preblend is a good wax to start with, but don't expect to be able to get it to do some certain things. There are 1343 lovers here (cough) and 4045 lovers too. These are waxes you get to work your own formula on. Preblends will have all the additives you need in there except for the UV.

Molds -- use anything you want. As long as the bottom is equal to or wider than the top you can get a pillar out of it. Or you can pour into regular glass of any shape and then break it apart. You have a ton of choices between aluminum, tin, plastic and silicone ... even cardboard.

All of the above have been covered, I believe, extensively at www.candletech.com either on the active site or in the archives ;)

Or introduce yourself to pillars by getting a pillar kit.

Like you I want to branch out to pillars this coming year.I know it will not be like containers, tarts etc so I am sure the first ones will be failures.This is one project I am not sure that turns out perfect the first time for alot of candlemakers.

I remember being in a supply place.A lady was starting to make candles.She was talking about the container and went straight to the pillars.I heard the worker say get started on containers first.I knew that was coming.When I went to my car she was also loading up her car.She asked a few questions.Where do I make my candles,do they sell good, soy or parafin,where do you sell and so knowing she was new I did tell her one thing.Soy will frost with temp changes and look out for that.She was grateful for that tip.

LynnS

It seems to me like most of you experienced Chandlers like to make Pillars. Not sure if it is the challenge or the variety....the artform... but it does seem that way. I would much rather burn/buy a container for my personal use but I certainly have an appreciation for the beauty/art in pillars.

I started making pillars because I like burning pillars. I never had the time and energy to try the containers.

My take on the difference is that containers are harder to get the wicking figured out and more touchy to wick. But once you get the right wick, they would be faster and easier to pour. You don't have to wait for one to cool, so you can get your mold back, to make the next one. Plus those molds are seldom cheap.

It seems to me like most of you experienced Chandlers like to make Pillars. Not sure if it is the challenge or the variety....the artform... but it does seem that way. I would much rather burn/buy a container for my personal use but I certainly have an appreciation for the beauty/art in pillars.
I do both now but pillars have the most aesthetic appeal for me and that was what I was excited about making when starting out. It's just a mindset. People convince themselves that one is harder than the other but both can be easy or difficult depending on what you set out to do. Certain kinds of pillars are simple to make and containers are a snap if you pick one that's easy to wick.

I never had any desire to make a pillar. All I ever burned myself were containers. The more I looked at the gallery photos of Tanya, Julie and Liz's pillars, I wanted to try them. I wanted the chance to be more creative with my colors and style.

Then I was hooked!

I sure love pouring containers, time wise (as Dust said). I poured two good size fundraisers in a matter of hours and it flew by, versus the waiting game with pillars. Pillars are much more satisfying to me!