using lemongrass

jackie

I tried dried lemongrass - and it was SHARP even though I ground it. Candybee did you have that problem?

As for fresh - I use fresh botannicals a puree - no decay. With lemongrass being so fibrous I don't know that you can do that easily, though.

I made a lemongrass soap that I wanted to add lemongrass to, but also found it way too scratchy. Ultimately I just used parsley flakes in the soap to get the sort of look I wanted and then sprinkled a bit of lemongrass on the top. I wouldn't try to puree it in a blender, it is so fibrous it is libel to burn out the motor, I think a coffee grinder or good food processor would be a better bet, but it is still probably gonna be pretty exfoliating.

I buy dried lemongrass from my local health food store. I also buy dried chamomile. I blend them together in my blender and get a dried powder I use in my soap. I use it as an herbal blend in soapmaking for a exfoliating soap. I do find it scratchy but like the way it polishes my skin and leaves it smooth.

• 1 month later...

I have a bunch of fresh lemongrass as well! I was thinking of infusing it in oil to try and capture the fragrance. I know the lye will probably destroy most of the scent, but I thought I'd try and see... Maybe it would hold in a rebatch. Might have to try both. I do have a good market for exfoliating soaps, so maybe I'll try drying some to make a batch! Thanks for posting this Jackie!