Moisturizing M&P ??

laurenscandlebakery

Hello all! I tried melt & pour soap last month. I bought the shea butter base and olive oil base from Brambleberry. It was my "bright" idea to mix them together lol. I thought it would make a good combo. Idk if it was the combo, the shea butter, the olive oil, or the fact that it is melt and pour...but it left a residue-y feeling and left my skin feeling kind of dry.

Does all melt and pour do that? I am really interested in adding soap to my line, but I want it to be really moisturizing. I don't think I want to get into cold process just yet. Any recommendations?

There is another thread kinda-sorta on the same topic you might find interesting.

It seems different skin types are reacting different to M&P. With me my own body conflicts how it acts. On all of me but my face, the M&P worked great yet on my face it was left feeling tight and/or dry. It did the same thing for my daughter but she liked her face feeling that way.

I always lean toward trying to get my soaps moisturizing and more moisturizing both in CP and M&P. The soaps work great but I'm still testing to see how long they are going to last with the extra soft butters/oils. I added 7+ different ingredients in the M&P base to achieve that but then had to add castor and liquid soap to get the bubbles/lather back. I did add shea to every batch as well as OO without any residue-y feeling.

One of the first things I found with M&P is how clean I felt after using it and how it left no residue on my body. It could be the base you are using or your skin. I only have experience with SFIC bases and only about 8 months worth but for me they rinse clean.

I would suggest looking at the M&P recipe section of the forum. There are wonderful recipes there to suit just about anyone's likes.

HTH, GL and Have Fun :)

like jeanie353, I only have months worth of experience but I also use SFIC base and add different things depending on which recipe I'm using. I find them very moisturizing, and my DH has always suffered with severly dry skin and now it's better and he won't use anything else! It's probably just a matter of finding the right recipe for you - like jeanie said - check out the recipe threads and do some experimenting - you'll learn a lot and have fun! GL

You might find adding some shea butter or an oil helps with the moisturizing . My skin does not like M&P at all..

Nor does mine. I've tried quite a few. Perhaps I've spoiled my skin with CP? :undecided

Nor does mine. I've tried quite a few. Perhaps I've spoiled my skin with CP? :undecided

My face likes CP too. Well, it likes Castile CP. The batch I made back in May that is still curing for all other purposes, I am using one bar on my face and do not get the tight, dry feeling.

With the other batches made, I haven't tried any of those on my face since none were formulated as a facial bar, and all have FOs in them.

Do any suppliers carry SFIC? I just looked at the company website and the minimum order requirement is INSANE.

Thanks for the input everyone!

BB & Peak

Edit to add ~ Just remembered hearing something about BB in bulk was not.

Edited by jeanie353

Can you send me a link? I must be looking in the wrong spot. I did the search for "sfic" and nothing came up. I looked through the m&p soaps and none of them said SFIC in the title or description :S

Here ya go

http://www.peakcandle.com/category/Melt-and-Pour-Soap-Bases.aspx

http://www.brambleberry.com/Bases-Melt-Pour--C151.aspx

Edit with another after thought ~ These probably aren't going to say SFIC but you will know by the ingredient list they are lacking sulfates, etc.

Edited by jeanie353

Okay, thanks :) That's where I was looking, but it doesn't say "SFIC" unless I'm completely blind lol. You guys have been a big help!

I'm not positive on this but think SFIC may be a brand and other supplier made the same type base but can't use the SFIC. Now, that is only my thoughts and again...I am not positive on that.

I've used Peak, BB and SFIC (through a co-op). I found no difference in the three of accepting additives or anything else but that is just me.

My face does not like any soap- be it MP or CP. I probably have tried every single kind of handmade soap on earth and my face always feels dry and tight afterwards. It is just soap I guess. I have to use liquid or cream cleansers for my face. My body is fine with any soap. Anyway... I think that the addition of powdered or canned milk is the most moisturizing thing that you can do to MP.

Edited by Noodle