Traditional wicked candles vs wickless---trend in your area?

I'm wondering if this is just in my area or if it's a current industry wide trend: has anyone else experienced a dramatic decline in the sales of their traditional wicked products and an increase in wickless (melts, tarts, clamshells, tins to sit on warming units, etc)?

We haven't sold a wicked candle since December but other items are moving well. We are overly saturated with Scentsy in my area, but I'm grateful for their overpriced short life products because they've cause an increase in business for me.

Walmart does sell clamshells for $2 but the scents don't last long and the bricks are smaller than ours.

Just curious to know how things compare in other parts of of the country and world. I'm in southeast Missouri (USA).

I've just recently added clamshells to my line and they are flying out the door! People are sooo glad to see I have those "things like scentsy". And then when they see that mine cost less they are even happier. :) I am not selling as many candles either but it may be the season..people don't want to have a burning flame when it is so hot outside? dunno.

I have found customers going back the the wicked products for a while here is was bad because of you know who. Lately I have seen a boost in my candle sales. When it all said and done I think it going to be a 50/50 market. People that like the wickless and those that like the ease of candle burning.

I've sold 4x more melts this month than I have candles. I've only been selling since February and from what I understand it's more of a seasonal trend than it is an industry trend. Plus, I think cost is also a factor. I sell my melts for $3.99 and my candles for $11.99. One woman I spoke with who used to make candles and such said she never buys candles during the summer and I think that's the norm. If I'm not mistaken candle sales should start picking up around September and then start dropping off again in April/May of 2013.

I've sold 4x more melts this month than I have candles. I've only been selling since February and from what I understand it's more of a seasonal trend than it is an industry trend. Plus, I think cost is also a factor. I sell my melts for $3.99 and my candles for $11.99. One woman I spoke with who used to make candles and such said she never buys candles during the summer and I think that's the norm. If I'm not mistaken candle sales should start picking up around September and then start dropping off again in April/May of 2013.

I really like your tagline!

I quit making candles last fall. I hauled them to show after show but people wanted melts. I'm planning to make a small quantity and test them again this fall. I think the "S" company is wearing off a bit. They've jumped a zillion different directions from B & B to food. The latest thing I've seen is a fondue pot that looks like warmer and packets of fondue for them. I think it's called Velata or something like that.

Candle sales really have taken a hit in my area. Especially large ones. Pretty much the only thing that is really moving is melts, however some of my die hard. long time customers still want my candles but the sales of large ones has pretty much dwindled to a halt. Small (4-6oz) containers and votives seems to be the happy medium I have found. One a bizarre note, I used to never be able to move votives well so I stopped making them...started them again and now that seems to be what people want. Gotta love the trends, keeps us on our toes, lol

Gucci: I used to be able to sell votives like crazy! I can't give em away now. For my big 2 days show in August I think I will still make some; just in a few scents.

At one of the shops I sell in I sold mostly melts and it's second shop I sold mostly jars. The 1st shop moved locations and I don't sell as many melts as I did. The second shop last month sold only jars. It's just weird out there right now.

@NaturallyTru: I agree, things are very weird. Not to mention I hadn't ordered wax in awhile after having my son. Needless to say I almost had a heart attack when I saw the price increase in wax and oils. I remember when when raw paraffin was barely over a dollar a pound! *faint*