Crazy Question

cswilson

:shocked2: This is a crazy question and I wasn't sure where to post it, so I'll try here!! I am making my own liquid laundry detergent and I want to add fragrance to it. Can I use the skin safe scents that I use for lotions to make my laundry detergent smell good? Will it stain the clothes? Any help or direction would be appreciated!! Thanks

I have been wanting to try making my own laundry soap. Anyone care to share their recipe? I'm not going to sell it, just want it for my own personal use.

The one I use is:

1 bar Fels Naptha (grated)

2 Cups A&H Washing Soda

2 Cups Borax

2 Cups Oxi (optional)

Use 1/2 cup per large load.

Boil a large pan of water until the soap is melted, take off stove and slowly add the A&H and Borax until dissolved.

Pour that into a 5 gallon bucket and fill with water. Stir off and on for 24 hours and pour into bottles. It will turn to a gel-like substance but when you stir it, it gets liquidy again during those 24 hours. After that it stays liquid.

Some add glycerin but I find it makes it a little bit like snot.

I add skin safe FO until it smells strong enough to where I feel it will leave a lingering scent. About 2-3 ounces for 5 gallons.

I also add a preservative because I had a couple bottles get a little mold since it takes some time to use up that much detergent.

Adding skin safe FO to the homemade fabric softener hasn't caused any skin irritation so far. I add that until I can smell it strong enough. About 2 ounces per batch of the recipe on the forum.

Thank you for all your replies, I will be trying this out in the near future!! Jeannie, what kind of perservative did you use?

Liquid Germall Plus and I do go to 0.5.

I have no clue how much one would use for 5 gallons of soap so I weigh the bottles after I fill them, subtract the bottle weight and go by that.

GL and HTH