Peaks French Vanilla

Holly

I had a sample from 2009 that I finally got around to testing. I ended up loving it. So, I bought a 8 oz. bottle recently and when I opened it to me it smelled slightly differently...almost like there was a slight perfume smell to it. I thought maybe it was because it was a larger bottle and more concentrated coming from the opening. I put it in wax and it still seemed off to me cold throw wise....underlying floral/perfume scent to it...just not like the sample I got in 2009. I need to melt this other wax sample I have to see if I smell it warming but the cold throw to me is a turnoff. I have a wax melt in a solo cup and every time I take it out and smell it it just is off. Has anyone else noticed a difference in this oil recently? I thought at first that maybe I accidentally used a used pour pot to make it in, but have never really done that before and since it smells off to me in the bottle I figured it is just off. I believe I did test one sample and I did not notice is quite as much melting but I need to test it again. If the cold throw is off it could be a turnoff for customers as well.

Thanks for any input on this. I really love the scent but not so much now.

Edited by Holly

You should contact Peaks. Perhaps there was an error in labeling. I just bought the French Vanilla last month and it is perfect, very true and one of my favorite vanillas. There is no perfume note in it at all.

You should contact Peaks. Perhaps there was an error in labeling. I just bought the French Vanilla last month and it is perfect, very true and one of my favorite vanillas. There is no perfume note in it at all.

I have never had to contact them on anything like this before. Do you know how they receive this kind of complaint? I remember only having to complain one time to a company when they changed their Black Raspberry Vanilla without telling us and they would not admit it at first and then they finally did but did not offer to do anything about it...I was stuck with it. It grew on me but was not as good as the original.

I used to use this a long time ago. I thought at the time it was a true fragrance. Since then I have switched to CS Very Vanilla and my customers love it.

Thanks, Connie. I had never tested it until recently. The 2009 sample was really good. This just smells off to me. I did buy CS Very Vanilla and thought I liked it but I noticed it had that common "rotten" (can't describe it) note that many smell as well with that one and Candle Cocoon's vanilla and Millcreeks. Some people smell it and some people do not. I smell it more when it is cold than when it is melting.

Does the Vanilla Passion have a slight perfume/floral note to it?

I don't smell a floral note to Vanilla Passion. It isn't quite a true vanilla but it's not perfumey either. Best I've tried so far, and meaning that from more than just Peak. I am very picky with my vanilla fragrances.

I don't smell a floral note to Vanilla Passion. It isn't quite a true vanilla but it's not perfumey either. Best I've tried so far, and meaning that from more than just Peak. I am very picky with my vanilla fragrances.

Thanks. I am not sure what it is. I should give the Vanilla Passion a try.

Edited by Holly

Peaks can and has mixed up an order. Happened to me when I ordered some sandalwood and ended up with something 'fruity' labeled sandalwood. They sent me a replacement at no cost very promptly.

But I don't think this is the case. I think its possible the fragrance may have been reformulated since 2009. Many FOs were reformulated during that time to be phlatate (sp?) free. Unfortunately it had an effect on some FOs and their performance. Also, some reformulations just smell different or off.

Peaks can and has mixed up an order. Happened to me when I ordered some sandalwood and ended up with something 'fruity' labeled sandalwood. They sent me a replacement at no cost very promptly.

But I don't think this is the case. I think its possible the fragrance may have been reformulated since 2009. Many FOs were reformulated during that time to be phlatate (sp?) free. Unfortunately it had an effect on some FOs and their performance. Also, some reformulations just smell different or off.

I bought a pound of Peak's French Vanilla and it smells very true.

Does it smell the same to you as it did back in 2009? I think this is the point Holly was making. Just wondering cause I sure hope its the same scent as it used to be. Its one of my fav vanillas.

Its also possible Holly got a bad batch?

Edited by Candybee

Does it smell the same to you as it did back in 2009? I think this is the point Holly was making. Just wondering cause I sure hope its the same scent as it used to be. Its one of my fav vanillas.

Its also possible Holly got a bad batch?

Thanks, Candybee for your input. I have communicated with Alan. He said he would send me a free sample of it to make sure it is different and then I can return it, if it is different to receive a replacement. However, the cost of shipping may not make it worth it. I would have to pay for the shipping I assume so I might as well just order a new one and pay for it anyway, if the new sample is how it should smell vs. the one bottle I got. I hope that made sense. I was thinking of ordering something from there for the sale going on so not sure if I should just have them send me the sample with the order or I should buy another bottle. If the new bottle smells like it should to me, and if I send the other bottle back for credit for the new bottle, I would still be paying shipping which cancels out the free bottle replacement. I only bought an 8 oz. bottle and shipping is ridiculous. Now that I think of it, I could send it via Regional Mail...my husband has a online business as well and we use regional mail. That would be less than the bottle cost, but not sure if the hassle of sending it back is worth the little that I would save.

I meant to run another test over the weekend to see if maybe I accidentally used a used solo cup or unwashed pot. I did not end up having the time this weekend. Today, I going to melt that tart I have that smells like it has floral in it when I smell it cold and see how it smells warming.

I believe that I started using Peaks French vanilla after 2009, but I am not certain. I have purchased this scent at least a dozen times. I do know there is absolutely NO floral note to it or I would not be using it.

Thank you, Horsescents. Did you use it in 2009 or longer ago?

No, I bought it just a few months ago, and I haven't used much of it yet, but it's a very true French Vanilla. But Peak's Vanilla Passion has some floral and musk or something in it, so I haven't tried that one yet.

No, I bought it just a few months ago, and I haven't used much of it yet, but it's a very true French Vanilla. But Peak's Vanilla Passion has some floral and musk or something in it, so I haven't tried that one yet.

Udate: I spoke with Allen and he and their staff are so great and helpful. They sent me a new bottle of the French Vanilla and a sample of the Passion Vanilla to see if maybe that is what I got. I just received them today and I was so happy to smell what the French Vanilla should smell like when I opened up the bottle. I could tell right off the bat that this bottle is true! They are not sure what happened but it is all taken care of. When I melted another wax melt I had made from the bottle that smelled off, I could smell the Franch Vanilla in it but there was this weird Floral note too it. He thinks it is possible that maybe the hoses and container did not get flushed out between pouring fragrances. I am sure this can happen....humans can error that is for sure.....or maybe it was the manufacturer, but if it was I am sure he would have more calls.

Peaks has outstanding customer service and quality products. I have always been a happy customer with them!

Edited by Holly

Udate: I spoke with Allen and he and their staff are so great and helpful. They sent me a new bottle of the French Vanilla and a sample of the Passion Vanilla to see if maybe that is what I got. I just received them today and I was so happy to smell what the French Vanilla should smell like when I opened up the bottle. I could tell right off the bat that this bottle is true! They are not sure what happened but it is all taken care of. When I melted another wax melt I had made from the bottle that smelled off, I could smell the Franch Vanilla in it but there was this weird Floral note too it. He thinks it is possible that maybe the hoses and container did not get flushed out between pouring fragrances. I am sure this can happen....humans can error that is for sure.....or maybe it was the manufacturer, but if it was I am sure he would have more calls.

Peaks has outstanding customer service and quality products. I have always been a happy customer with them!

Thanks for the update! I'm so happy Peak's worked it out for you. They are great! I think their French Vanilla is the most luscious true French Vanilla scent I could ever imagine!

And I'm hopelessly addicted to their rich buttery vanilla Birthday Cake scent.

Edited by HorsescentS

Thanks for the update! I'm so happy Peak's worked it out for you. They are great! I think their French Vanilla is the most luscious true French Vanilla scent I could ever imagine!

And I'm hopelessly addicted to their rich buttery vanilla Birthday Cake scent.

You are welcome. :) Looks like you and I have similar noses. :) I love their Birthday Cake too! I have that one as well. I tested many and Peaks won hands down. I like their Sugar Cookie too....tested many sugar cookies and Peaks won. I never finalized it in candles.....may not throw as strong in candles but does well in melts. This is typical with this type of scent. I will have to test it again in candles when I develop my new candle line.

Edited by Holly

Sadly, I don't right now. I have room for two, but don't have a good enough fence yet. Horses are the great love of my life, though.

Hopefully, someday you can have horses again. :) I can sure relate to them being the love of your life....they are for me as well. If you would like to hook up on Facebook, look me up. https://www.facebook.com/#!/hollyjohnson.63

I am SO glad this worked out for you! Peaks is a fantastic company to do business with.

Thanks, Noodle. :) They are fantastic and one of the first companies I bought from in the beginning of my candle making days.