Need help with ratios

Loolee

My friend suggested that I would like to use the following oils, but she didn't give me amounts. What would you suggest? The oils are:

coconut 76, Palm, olive oil, palm kernel flakes, castor and babbassu.

wow there's a good deal of redundancy of cleansing oils. coconut, babassu and palm kernel all have similar enough chemical profiles and can be overly cleansing when used together especially at high total% in a formula. WHy make a 6 oil soap when three will accomplish almost exactly the same thing?

I would pick one of those at 20% (say coconut) and split the rest of the formula between olive and palm. Castor may be nice at a low%. THen I'd make the same formula replacing the 20% coconut with 20% babassu, and yet another with 20% pko and see the difference first hand.

You'll get there. Just be patient and start simply. Often what soapers learn the hard way is that simple is best. It takes most of us a while to reach that understanding - we feel the need to try every butter and additive on the planet along the way :)

Thanks, Barbara. I'm going to try your recipe. I've played with different amounts and slightly different oils and yours looked like the best formula.

My friend has been soaping for a long time now, so I think she must know something about these oil combinations that I don't! We'll see!