Soap cutter for M&P soap?

classiccandle

I've tried cutting my M&P soap logs using a knife and also a miter box with a joint knife but still can't seem to get a straight cut on my soap. Even with the miter box some of my bars are a little over an inch at the top and almost an inch and a half at the bottom of the bar. I was seriously considering buying a soap cutter such as the Tank or one of the loaf cutters at soapcutters.com until I read this at the soapcutters.com website.

"The Loaf Cutter™ was not designed to cut M&P. By and large, wire cutters do not work well for M&P (Glycerin Soap). It is possible in some cases, if using a softer formula and the soap is fairly new. No guarantees for M&P Soap."

Does anyone that makes M&P soap currently use a cutter like one of the ones I mentioned? If so have you had any problems with it?

Thanks!

Well, I made another loaf of M & P soap and, with the patience of Job, I attempted to cut it using my cheap, plastic miter box I bought at Lowe's, along with my wide joint knife and got the same lousy results. I pressed the loaf up against the miter box as hard as I could and cut slowly but not one bar is the same as another. Weights range in size from 4.5 oz to 5.7 oz and not one straight cut...:mad:

I think that settles it for me. I'm going to try my hand at CP so I can at least get a straight cut on my soap!

AAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I use a bread slicer. The wood type with bars lined up and slot in between. It does give me straight bars. Before that I had the same problem of crooked cut slices. If I want thicker bars I go every two spaces or if not then I go every space. The slicer is wide enough to fit the loaf comfortably yet narrow enough where a big cutting knife goes all the way across.

GL & HTH