CP Soap Additive Question

jeanie353

So far I've been doing all M&P with a lot of additives. I've found the additives really do make a difference in the soap (for the better).

Am ready to try CP now. My question is the recipes I usually see don't have a lot of additives such as Avocado, Emu, etc. Have found a few only that have those ingredients. Can I get a really good moisturizing, lathering bar of soap without adding as much as I do with M&P?

TIA

I suggest you start out with a simple, basic, CP soap recipe and don't worry about the additives until later. You want to understand the process and the ingredients you use first, then start trying other things.

There is a whole world of different things to try in your CP. So far I have found that my best soap is still my basic olive oil soap with very few additives.

There is a whole world of different things to try in your CP. So far I have found that my best soap is still my basic olive oil soap with very few additives.

Castile is going to be my very first batch. I'll probably do a regular bar type batch the same day or next.

It just seems so odd to me. To look at the 3-4 ingredients in CP recipes and somehow realize a really good bar of soap is going to come out of that vs M&P where the additives are abundant....for some of us.

Thanks for the advice Candybee.....I'll take it and keep it basic while I learn.

Remember that a castile soap really does do better with a longer cure. I cure mine for 6 months before I'll sell it.

Yes, I did read that on the forum and other sites. Its the main reason why I want to do that first to get it curing so its ready by Christmas time. I was going to start CP and the castile a few weeks back but got distracted with other B&B stuff. Have everything needed here, ready to go just waiting on a day when I have the house to myself for a few hours so I can concentrate fully the first couple times.

Also, can anyone tell me how I safely either wash the utensils right after use without leaving lye residue in the sink or any tips for safe clean up? We do have a DW I can put them in overnight if need be. Think I read that somewhere. We have 2 cats, a dog and 4 people in the house so I really need to be sure I do this right and don't hurt anyone.

Just leave your utensil sitting for a few days and then wash them as normal by hand or in the dishwasher. By that time, the residue is soap and should clean up easily and safely.

OK....Thank you. A couple ideas came to mind of how to put them out of the way for a few days. Am thinking in a covered box, in the garage might work well.

So far I've been doing all M&P with a lot of additives. I've found the additives really do make a difference in the soap (for the better).

Am ready to try CP now. My question is the recipes I usually see don't have a lot of additives such as Avocado, Emu, etc. Have found a few only that have those ingredients. Can I get a really good moisturizing, lathering bar of soap without adding as much as I do with M&P?

TIA

A well formulated bar of CP soap doesn't require a lot of additives. With M&P, the focus is on a base that melts easily and stands up to molding cleanly potentially with decorative additions. M&P bases contain a combination of additives (such as sorbitol) and detergents to help accomplish that.

With CP, you have a blank canvas to create a formula that doesn't need extras to make up for shortcomings. Once you learn the profiles of basic soaping oils, the sky is the limit.

With CP, you have a blank canvas to create a formula that doesn't need extras to make up for shortcomings. Once you learn the profiles of basic soaping oils, the sky is the limit.

The light bulb is beginning to come on now :) It seems CP is a whole new world of soap quality compared to M&P that one won't quite grasp until they actually make soap using that process.

I do like M&P a lot but it is very expensive (for me) due to the amount of additives I use to get a bar of soap that has good slip, moisture and lather. It also could have something to do with the base I use...which is SFIC but am happy with personally due to the ingredients (or lack of).

Well, just have to get a few more bowls and spatulas now that I'll be putting the used utensils away for a few days before washing safely and just know I'm going to want to make more than one batch in 2-3 days. :)

The light bulb is beginning to come on now :) It seems CP is a whole new world of soap quality compared to M&P that one won't quite grasp until they actually make soap using that process.

I do like M&P a lot but it is very expensive (for me) due to the amount of additives I use to get a bar of soap that has good slip, moisture and lather. It also could have something to do with the base I use...which is SFIC but am happy with personally due to the ingredients (or lack of).

Well, just have to get a few more bowls and spatulas now that I'll be putting the used utensils away for a few days before washing safely and just know I'm going to want to make more than one batch in 2-3 days. :)

Jeanie I know just what you mean. I made M&P for years and constantly fought with quality, additives, price increases, etc. to get a good soap. Now that I am making CP it just blows me away that one or two ingredients can make one hell of a soap. I used to hate it when my expensive M&P soap would lack lather. Now with CP I get the lather I want without worry. If there is something wrong with my CP soap its my recipe or technique that needs fixin and not like it was with a M&P base.

After I got over my fear of using the lye the first time I want to kick myself for not doing CP earlier. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be and I make several lbs of soap every week. My curing racks are filled and all I can think about is making more soap! Haha!

Jeanie I know just what you mean. I made M&P for years and constantly fought with quality, additives, price increases, etc. to get a good soap. Now that I am making CP it just blows me away that one or two ingredients can make one hell of a soap. I used to hate it when my expensive M&P soap would lack lather. Now with CP I get the lather I want without worry. If there is something wrong with my CP soap its my recipe or technique that needs fixin and not like it was with a M&P base.

After I got over my fear of using the lye the first time I want to kick myself for not doing CP earlier. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be and I make several lbs of soap every week. My curing racks are filled and all I can think about is making more soap! Haha!

Oh, I hear ya on more soap is all one thinks about. I dream soap (and candles), waking up with all kinds of ideas for swirling, layering, fluffing.........Coming from the M&P Master, its nice to hear it said that you wish you'd of done CP earlier too. I've wanted too for quite some time but never could seem to get the bottle of lye out and just do it. I've also had concerns of how to make it interesting with the additives I've gotten so used to with M&P. I honestly have anywhere from 8-11 additives in my base M&P soaps from Liquid Silk to Evening Primrose to Emu and more and has gotten very expensive.

I'll want to add stuff to CP as well after a few batches but from what you all are saying, it won't be a necessity as it is with M&P but rather a choice. I will be adding Tussah Silk but that's it for starters and then see how they come out. Am really excited yet very nervous at the same time. Once I work with the lye monster a few times, am sure the fear will pass.

Thank you all for your comments, advice and answers :)