What fragrances would you pick for samples?

Holly

I have the worst time deciding on things like this, especially since I have been out of the biz for two years and just getting back in. I somewhat forget what most people seem to like.

What fragrances would you choose from your line to give out as samples (wax melt samples)? I do know the time of year can make a difference in fragrances chosen.

This may help give me some good ideas from my own line. Thanks!

Naturally your best sellers are always good ones to pick. Then any classics like a good vanilla, lavender, etc. I would also think about having at least one representative from each group; florals, bakery, fruit, earth/woods, clean, etc.

Your samples could look something like this:

Lavender Flowers

Caramel Vanilla Crunch

Raspberry Parfait

Sandalwood Patchouli

Clean Sheets

Naturally your best sellers are always good ones to pick. Then any classics like a good vanilla, lavender, etc. I would also think about having at least one representative from each group; florals, bakery, fruit, earth/woods, clean, etc.

Your samples could look something like this:

Lavender Flowers

Caramel Vanilla Crunch

Raspberry Parfait

Sandalwood Patchouli

Clean Sheets

Thanks Candybee. :) I don't have any best sellers right now since I just opened back up. I do remember a few that seemed to do really well. I will only be handing out one sample to each person, and I will not always be in contact with them to have them pick which one they like. I want the wax melt to give the best first impression possible. Although, I know that one may get a scent that they may not prefer if they cannot choose, but at least thay can get an idea on scent throw and scent quality.

I sold Avon while I was not in the candle biz anymore and learned a few ways to market...door to door. I am going to do the same thing to get my biz going again this time. I don't want to consign my products in stores at this time like I did before and I lost contact with a friend that cranked out some parties for me....she was a Body Shop at Home consultant and she really helped in spreading the word about my products by doing parties as a consultant. I am going to work things a little differently this time.

Thanks again for the ideas!

A floral, vanilla, spice, fruit, and clean scent. Can't go wrong with any of those types of scents.

Thank you. I guess what I should have asked is which of your favorite fragrances (names) would you give out as samples that would most likely be liked by many?

My problem is picking a specific few. There are some fragrances (especially floral) that many may not like....ie. lavender. So, then I start to think which floral. I am leaning towards Sweet Pea but would have to order more.

I made several Honey Gingerbread (Backwoods) towards the end of winter, thinking I would get them out and about but did not get my small reopen brochure completed as soon as I thought. I am thinking that one can use this scent all year in the kitchen (a great vanilla based scent). I then start thinking that many people are thinking Spring and Summer even though we are still having some cold days.

I tend to overthink things like this....perfectionist side coming out. I will get it figured out.

Here a few popular ones I have used:

Rain Water or Sunwashed Linen from CS.

Lemongrass, Wildberry Parfait, Apple Crumb, Red Hot Cinnamon, French Vanilla, Country Clothesline from Southern Scentsations.

Thank you. That gives me some ideas. Before I closed, I tested the Rain Water and really liked it. I never ordered it because I ended up closing. I wish I had it now. I have had the Sun Washed Linen from Tennessee Candle Supply which I remember having a few customers that liked it. It was never my favorite....prefer the clean cotton types better but never found one that threw real well in a wicked soy candle. Do you know if the CS Sun Washed Linen is like TC? The TC one is powerful. My ultimate favorite Cinnamon Stick is no longer available (The Scented Bean and the gal that took it over closed too). I have not found a replacement yet. I finally got around to testing Peaks French Vanilla and LOVE it! I wish I had it now to give out as samples, but want to watch my spending until I get some other fragrances sold.

Thanks again for the ideas. :)

I agree you need to use seasonal scents that work for spring & summer right now. Florals, fruits, and clean scents should be in your current lineup.

BTW-- I love Peaks FV too! Its fantastic. CS Sun Washed Linen is strong in soy. Don't know how it compares to others but I like it.

I hate to state what my customers might like because it's usually the total opposite of what I like or think will sell well. Like for instance Fruity scents like strawberry, watermelon, honey dew were very popular this time last yr. My recent orders have been for tulip, blueberry, sugar cookie, and pumpkin spice lol..

I hate to state what my customers might like because it's usually the total opposite of what I like or think will sell well. Like for instance Fruity scents like strawberry, watermelon, honey dew were very popular this time last yr. My recent orders have been for tulip, blueberry, sugar cookie, and pumpkin spice lol..

Exactly! I is always a hard call even when one has been selling for awhile. I have a very "open" nose to many different scents, but I know that is not true with many people. I am a little limited since several of the scents are in the bargain bin because the suppliers are no longer in business or I am going to discontinue them or replace them. I don't want to hand out samples of the ones that I won't have long. Many of them were some of my favorites too.

Thanks again.

I just restarted my business, so I know where you are coming from, but I did some research on what were scent trends. I've had great success with Downy, Lemon Verbena, Lavender, Sugar Cookie (always a big hit), Cucumber Mint and another favorite now is Jamaica Me Crazy. I decided this time around to limit my fragrances from three suppliers (all on the east coast) and I love CS, Aztec and AH/RE. Mostly CS though. If you only want to offer one scent...something you can't get at the other big name candle companies.