molds

jackie

I've got a ton of Milky Way molds for my M&P soap. I tried one of my tray molds for my castile soap and it worked just fine. The soap comes out but you have to be careful as little pieces here and there may stick to the mold. I'm gonna try the mineral oil trick on my next batch and see if that makes a difference.

BTW-- the tray molds like the 'handmade" or "goat milk" that hold 2 lbs/32oz of M&P I have made CP in 22 oz batches. When you add the lye water to the oils the whole batch fills the tray.

I like the tray molds cause they have the tops scored so you can easily cut a 4oz bar of soap.

I know this is weird but customers wouldn't buy soap (mp or cp) from those molds. I can cut it from a log or make regular bar sizes and sell it just fine. I don't know if people thought they weren't really hand made soaps or what but left those a long time ago. I have a beautiful hummingbird oval mold but cp doesn't like to come out of the little grooves and lines of the design and then if it does will eventually crumble a little. HTH

Steve

You know I have had a similar experience. People buy tons of the cut soaps but pretty much leave the individual molded soaps alone unless they are buying as a gift during the holidays. I gave those molds up a long time ago too just for the same reason. However, customers do buy a lot of the soaps made out of the tray molds. Probably because the soap comes out in a block that is scored for making 8 individual soaps that you cut. I sold a ton of these.

I still want to try out making some saltbars using the individual molds. Sometimes a molded soap is a nice personal preference.

Edited by Candybee

I'm not selling. It's just for family and friends. I didn't like the feel of the block soap in my hand--maybe I need to bevel it more or maybe needs to be cut smaller for me (I have small hands). So I really wanted to try the oval to see which I prefer. That's nice to know though--friends might like the block better. It does prob look more "handmade". I can't cut straight even with scoring. Would love a silicone slab mold with removeable dividers but the only ones I've seen were square--I'd want rectangle (and I've wondered how hard it is to get the dividers in there because it would have to be a tight fit).