Bakery Scents And Tarts....

glowworm

Just a question about how long are some of you guys getting for hot throw from scents such as vanilla, creme brulee, bnb, etc. I am struggling to get a great long lasting throw from scents such as these and I am at a loss. In in order for melts to pass the test they need to last at least 12 hours and with my wax blend these are really the only ones that I cant get to go more than about 6-8 hours with what I consider great throw. Having noticed this trend I tried several other combos suggested here with either the same or worse results.

I guess my main question is am I expecting too much from this family of scents? I am testing around a 1 oz clam and am currently using a parasoy blend. Any help would be greatly appreciated as these are my favorite types of scents. Thanks :D

I too have problems getting a lot of bakery scents to last (strong) for more than 5-6 hours. Seems the only ones that seem to last the longest are the ones with Cherry in them. I've testing adding them at higher temps, mid-range temps, lower temps and get the same results. I have also been using a para-soy blend but am now testing paraffin.

I agree with blacktieaffair....CS ones are really good. Blacktie...I posted a question here earlier (in the Wickless section)about using paraffin...if you have time could you please give me your input? I'm new to using straight paraffin.

I just read it baby and I have no clue because I have absolutely no idea about that wax combo and honestly, I truly suck at Math, so that's why I only work in lbs increments if I can help it LOL . My wax is para and 9.9 x out of 10, it's at it's best, using a ratio of 1:1. I will say this though, I add my fo cooler.. 170 ish. But now, that's using MY wax. Again, I wish I knew about your wax so I could honestly give you an answer but I have no idea :(

The strongest bakery scents I have, all come from Candle Science. I have others that I carry, but the super strong long lasting ones, are CS. I do use paraffin not a blend though.

I use a fair amount of CS oils and I just got done testing their very vanilla which came with great reviews. The ct was awesome so I was really hoping this was it. The ht didn't disappoint, it was actually very, very good, but again around the 7-8 hour mark it began to fail...major disappointment. I have a lot of different waxes here from past experiments so I would be totally open to trying anything if I just had a clue as to what??? Sometimes I have a few fos that I just love that wont throw worth a darn in my normal container blend so I try and have a stand in wax for those cases which has worked quite well for me, so maybe I just need a stand in melt blend or wax for my melts as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations as what I could try or could anyone share with me how long they expect out of say a vanilla or cake type fragrance? :)

Ok here is where I differ from a LOT of "melt" makers. ( I dont do candles).

So far, I have only done clamshells to sell ( I do make testers in mini muffin cups but when testing I cut them in half and only use half the melt )

The estimated total weight of my clamshell with wax, is around 3ish oz.

There are 6 cubes in 3 oz.

That comes out to 1/2 an oz per cube.

If I get 8 hours, out of 1/2 ounce of wax melt, I personally ? am happy .

While there are smaller containers, most are 4, 8 or 16 oz. These burn anywhere from 20 to 120 hours depending on how large the container is.

If I get a minimum of 8 hrs out of 1/2 oz, that would be equal to 16 cubes( .5 oz cubes to equal 8 oz would be 16 cubes )... 16 x 8 hrs = 128 hrs of scent time.

6 cubes x 8 hrs = 48 hrs of scent time.

If I can get 48 hours out of 3 oz of wax...... Im really not too concerned with making a single melt last 12 hours or more. I do get more than 8 hrs out of them but this is just the low end time.

I make a consumable product. I want it to be used, and bought again and again and again. It gets interesting trying to juggle burn times, purchase price, how often they re-purchase to make a product that stands up to the competitors in longevity and price, but you also have to decide if you want to charge more because they won't re-purchase as fast.

I'm finding that some fos that do poorly in candles do great in melts (figure that one out) and some give me days of fragrance. It kinda goes STRONG, strong, still there, just barely there but I've had a 1/2 ounce melt in the burner for several weeks that still mildly fragrances the house. I'm using 6 oz of my Stasis and 10 oz of ky parasoy tart wax with 1.5 oz of fo. I pour into silicone flower cupcake liners and they look like little sunbursts, so I call them suburst melts. I'm hoping some of my dud fos will pay for themselves in melts. HTH

Steve

CS C Pralines is an awesome thrower in parasoy tart wax.

A few others I have had really good luck with is AH/RE (KYs version) of Cream Brulee.

Candlewics Snickerdoodle

CS Pumpkin Soufllee mixed with CS Cinamon Buns

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I have several of them in my "to try" box so I will have to pull them out and get them in my wax:).

Black Tie Affair- Thanks for sharing that formula... I had never thought of it that way before. I just want to know that the people buying my products are getting the very best product for their money, so I tend to obssess a bit.:)

For those of you that add your fos at a lower temp is it because you think they burn off if added over say 180 or is that the temp recommended for your wax? I normally add mine at 185 and stir for two minutes or so and pour at around 150ish. Seeing the only fos I seem to be having troubles with are the more vanilla or bakery based I am wondering if those types of oils do better when added cooler. Seeing they tend to be heavier I would think to incorporate better they would have to be added at a warmer temp but maybe not??? I am not asking these things to avoid testing, I am continually doing the testing, but I am having some issues with my sniffer lately. With all of this pouring I am doing I think I am developing major candle nose...I am having a hard time smelling anything somedays:(.