Sodium Lactate and Silk.

Jewls819

I made a HP batch Friday using Sodium Lactate and Silk Fibers and a bit of sugar in the lye solution. Wow wow wow.:yay: The soap feels so good. Do all of you put these items in the lye? I will from now on. It made such a difference on how the soap feels. My hubby thinks I am loosing it because I kept going to the sink and washing my hands with the soap pot scraps. Then I would tell him look and feel my hands...They are so silky and soft. He just rolled his eyes.

I usually add more water to make it flow into the mold better doing HP(for example ...if I need 12oz of water I usually use 15oz). This makes my cure time much longer. This time I didnt add any extra water and it flowed very nice into the mold and looks smooth. I think the great feel from the soap comes from the silk.

Edited by Jewls819

Have some liquid silk here that I just had to have. Going to try it in M&P later this week. Just made castile/bastile liquid soap from BB soap paste. Is really nice stuff but needs something. Seems a little bit drying. Didn't think of liquid silk until saw this thread.

What does sodium lactate do for soap?

Sodium Lactate makes the cooked soap much more fluid so you can actually pour it instead of glopping. It also hardens the soap. I love it.

CP with it as well if your doing veggie soaps.

I got SL from WSP. I know Brambleberry sells it and I imagine most soaping suppliers do.

Where do you get silk fibers? Is liquid silk the same thing--it's expensive stuff?

Edited by jackie

So how much SL do you add and where do you get it?

I don't have my notes in front of me, but I believe I add 1tbs pp oils. I got mine from CG, but NG sells it now.

Order it. You will not regret it! :))

I need to know where to get silk. lol

I got my silk here. I purchased fiber. http://www.soap-making-resource.com/tussah-silk.html. I didnt want a liquid because I think it has an expiration date. You can look up natural tussah silk on Etsy and find some too. 1oz of fiber is quite a bit and a pinch to 2# of oils is all i used. It melts in the lye water. Oh and Tussah silk is crulety free. No injuries to the worms while gathering this silk..lol.

Edited by Jewls819

You can also get this silk at The Scent Works and I got mine here http://www.lookchina.com/textile/homespin/silk/tussah_silk_sliver.htm

That was the same place that was used for the co-op several years ago. Per oz, they are much cheaper but the smallest bag is 5 oz. And let me tell ya, that is a lot of silk. :) I got the natural silver (looks more gold) and it's very pretty.

Does anyone know if M&P gets hot enough to dissolve the non-liquid silk? Am reading where you all seem to use the lye water to dissolve it. Highest I take my M&P would be about 180ish, I think. Did not take the temp of the first double batch I made.

I have some Solu Silk from the herbarie that states it's a silk amino acid. I would think this would be fine to use in my soaps it says it penetrating & moisturizing for the hair. I'm thinking this would be a good additive for a shampoo bar maybe or just the soap in general it also says for body wash.

I have some Solu Silk from the herbarie that states it's a silk amino acid. I would think this would be fine to use in my soaps it says it penetrating & moisturizing for the hair. I'm thinking this would be a good additive for a shampoo bar maybe or just the soap in general it also says for body wash.

ladysj....Bought the liquid from BB. Said it is silk amino acids dissolved in water so I went ahead and added it @3% since 1% seems to be for leave on and up to 5% for soap after reading your post.

It did make a difference. Just enough to take away the very slight dry feel after showering to using it on my hands now where it did leave a much better smoothing affect.

ladysj....Bought the liquid from BB. Said it is silk amino acids dissolved in water so I went ahead and added it @3% since 1% seems to be for leave on and up to 5% for soap after reading your post.

It did make a difference. Just enough to take away the very slight dry feel after showering to using it on my hands now where it did leave a much better smoothing affect.

Thank you so much I'm going to add some to my next batch hopefully tonight :) I think I'm going to try a buttermilk batch & see how it turns out :laugh2:

Edited by ladysj