Maybe its not the most creative, but....

megandgarr

I wanted something cute for the fireplace mantel, so I decided to make a wooden plaque of letters spelled out to say "Welcome Home". I just bought some cheapie wood letters, a wooden base, painted them dark brown and hot glued them to the base. I also made one for the fall in the warm fall colors that says, "Happy Fall"

post-12144-139458493421_thumb.jpg

That looks really nice megandgarr. Heck, you could make something for each season and each holiday. July 4th would look really neat with some red and white striped letters and maybe some could be blue with white stars. Maybe find a wooden flag and put it between the words somewhere. For Easter you could put a bunny between Happy and Easter. All kinds of neat things you could make. I used to love doing wooden crafty things...and a lot of other more craft stuff. Now I am addicted to my sewing machine.

Thanks everyone. Blacktie, absolutely, steal away.... just make sure to post pics of your end product:) I have had the hardest time finding a nice mantel display. I always want things to be very symetrical, so I had a hard time coming up with something that seemed balanced to me. That mantel has gone through so many changes, but I think I have settled on the wooden display, at least for now.

Aside from making tarts, my other passion is decorating and redecorating my house. I am always on the hunt for creative ideas and ways that I can use a crafty (and inexpensive) approach to redecorating. That is how I ended up with my painted "faux" granite countertops as well.

Dessa,

Edited by megandgarr