Just poured CS Hazelnut Coffee, but it didn't smell strong in the pot

HorseScentS

I just poured a 16 oz batch of 4627 & 8% CS Hazelnut Coffee. All the CS reviews say it's so strong, but it never popped a strong scent when I was stirring the pot. Is that typical for that FO? I don't think I did anything wrong. I added the pre-warmed FO to the wax at 185, stirred very thoroughly with a whisk for at least 2 minutes or more, since my timer stopped working. lol I can smell it throughout my house, but not as strong as other FOs.

Thanks you guys! That's very encouraging. :) It's the only FO I poured today, and I made 3 candles with it, and as they sit there cooling, the smell is developing in accuracy and getting stronger and stronger! I'm excited about these! :D

Wow! I can't wait to try mixing it with CS Vanilla Hazelnut. My cousin owns a cappuccino shop, and she originally asked me to make French Vanilla Hazelnut Cappuccino candles, but I couldn't find anything like that, so I tried Peak's Cappuccino Hazelnut and wasn't happy with it. Thought I'd try CS Hazelnut Coffee next, and I'm glad I did. Maybe if I mix it with the CS Vanilla Hazelnut it'll be a good French Vanilla Hazelnut Cappuccino.

Edited by HorsescentS

I have not used CS hazelnut I have used CS though. It and Lonestar were the first oils I started out with. I tried using 1oz per pound, that is not enough you have to use 1.5 ounces per pound and also add your oil at a lower temp at about 150 degrees. The good thing with CS is it cures nicely in my wax ecosoya and months later you'll go back and smell a strong candle. CS gets better with time.

Edited by atlantachandler

I have not used CS hazelnut I have used CS though. It and Lonestar were the first oils I started out with. I tried using 1oz per pound, that is not enough you have to use 1.5 ounces per pound and also add your oil at a lower temp at about 150 degrees. The good thing with CS is it cures nicely in my wax ecosoya and months later you'll go back and smell a strong candle. CS gets better with time.

I disagree - you don't say what type of wax you use, but with pariffin it needs to be added at 180 - 190. And, if I had to use 1.5 oz pp I wouldn't use that FO.

I disagree - you don't say what type of wax you use, but with pariffin it needs to be added at 180 - 190. And, if I had to use 1.5 oz pp I wouldn't use that FO.

C3 is a soy wax. I have never used it I use ecosoya soy so I am not sure how that applies but I gained my knowledge of what temperature to pour from forums and google searches. I've tried adding FO at higher temps but it has a tendency to burn off in the soy that I use. Furthermore I think my manufacturers instructions says not to heat it above 180 the melting point for my brand is 150.

C3 is a soy wax. I have never used it I use ecosoya soy so I am not sure how that applies but I gained my knowledge of what temperature to pour from forums and google searches. I've tried adding FO at higher temps but it has a tendency to burn off in the soy that I use. Furthermore I think my manufacturers instructions says not to heat it above 180 the melting point for my brand is 150.

That's fine then - for your wax, but the OP is using pariffin where it needs to added at higher temp - knowledge gained by experience.

Edited by ksranch

That's fine then - for your wax, but the OP is using pariffin where it needs to added at higher temp - knowledge gained by experience.

Yep! And I've been testing it in the 2.875" Libbey Elemental jar with an FO load of 8% FO and 92% wax, and 14 drops of Peak's coffee dye, with a 62 zinc wick, and it's pretty strong in a 350 square foot room. :D I'm not sure yet whether the 62 zinc or 60 zinc will work the best.

Yep! And I've been testing it in the 2.875" Libbey Elemental jar with an FO load of 8% FO and 92% wax, and 14 drops of Peak's coffee dye, with a 62 zinc wick, and it's pretty strong in a 350 square foot room. :D I'm not sure yet whether the 62 zinc or 60 zinc will work the best.

Be sure to let us know - I would think for the size a 60 would work, but the FO may require the larger 62. Personally, I can't stand the smell of coffee (have never drank it), but I've had several inquiries about one so I was thinking of trying something like this - so curious to hear which zinc works better for you.

Be sure to let us know - I would think for the size a 60 would work, but the FO may require the larger 62. Personally, I can't stand the smell of coffee (have never drank it), but I've had several inquiries about one so I was thinking of trying something like this - so curious to hear which zinc works better for you.

Yes, I'll be sure and post which one works best. I think that because the color is so dark, and the jar is short, with thin glass walls that don't hold the heat, the 62 zinc might end up working best for this FO. This FO doesn't have much coffee scent, it's more the Hazelnut with cream and sugar I smell.

Edited by HorsescentS