Coloring MP soap?

AlwaysWondering

I've read about TBK Trading and their mica. I use liquid dye for my wax tarts so mica would be new to me. Not sure what to buy or how much to buy. About how much per lb of MP for medium intensity? Or does it depend on the color? The color of melted wax is very different than once the wax solidifies. Is it the same for MP melted vs solid?

I have a sampler pack of the POP mica colors from TKB Trading. I love it because they last a long time. I need approximately a level 1/8 up to 1/4 tsp of mica for a 2 lb batch of soap. Some colors I use a little more some less. I use 1/4 level tsp of the grape pop for my lavender soap. I make 2 lb batches at a time.

If you are not sure how much or what colors to buy their sampler packs are a great way to start. They are cheap and last a long time.

Another thing you may want to consider is that micas can be a bit frustrating to work with in M&P. They can be hard to incorperate into your base. If you mix your mica seperately in a little bit of glycerin before you add your base that will help it.

I've been using the micas for a couple of years now so I know some tricks to getting it to incorporate into my base.

So if you don't want that hassle get the liquid colors instead. Those also come in sample packs. If you want to do swirls and multi colors in your soaps make sure you get the non bleed dyes.

Edited by Candybee

Looks like the POP colors have been discontinued. But they have the same micas in the same colors just different names. Personally I'd go with the glycerin based liquid soap dyes and choose a sampler pack or any variety of the nonbleed cosmetic grade ones. If you think you may want to someday do CP choose from the non morph colors too. You can't go wrong with TKB soap dyes. They are good quality.

Another company that has great reviews on their soap colors are the soap dyes Select Shades from Tradewinds. They also have a handy color chart showing what colors you can get by mixing and blending different dyes for use in M&P and CP, etc.