Question about Soap from EBC--Sorry, this is long!

Alajane

I ordered goat's milk soap base from EBC for the first time recently. I've previously ordered only white from them, with no problems. I opened it last night and the soap is very strange looking--not like the goat's milk soap I've used in the past (only tried SFIC's previously). The main portion of the soap is not nearly as white as the white soap I'd received from them previously,and it's covered top and bottom with a thick layer of white gunk. I don't know if it's a bad batch or just wasn't mixed thoroughly. I took these photos and wanted to send them to the company, but when I called, this is the explanation I got.

The person I spoke with said it was caused by the soap being poured intothe box before it was cool enough. She said the white layer on the bottom was titanium dioxide that had separated out and the layer on top was a scum of air bubbles. She said it’s fine because the soap will be melted before use anyway,and when I cut it to melt, be sure I include the white layers so the titanium dioxide will be re-incorporated. She said the scum on top was probably air bubbles that didn’t get spritzed with alcohol and could either be scraped off or not—it wouldn’t matter.

The photo on the left shows the bottom; the right shows the top.

I understand the titanium dioxide, but I have trouble believing that thick scum on top is air bubbles! The top layer looks much thicker than the bottom. I made a tester bar last night and it seems fine, but I'm still a bit concerned. What do you guys think?

post-578-139458491569_thumb.jpg

post-578-139458491573_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alajane

Update:

Right after I posted this, I got an e-mail from EBC asking me to send the photos even though I had already spoken with someone. I told her I appreciated her looking because the scum on top didn't look like air bubbles to me. Here's her response:

Actually that is exactly what that is. When we manufacture the product it comes out of a huge tank through a transfer pump. It does create quite a bit of air bubbles. Initially they are skimmed off with a large spatula or sprayed with alcohol and that catches most of the large bubbles.

When the soap takes a bit longer to cool (depending on the weather we are having here in Californias, ometimes it takes longer for them to harden) more tiny air bubbles come to the top, once they harden it looks like this. If you touch it is will have a slight spongy feel, not hard like the rest of the soap. In the future if you would like us to scrape that off for you we can do that, please just let us know. It is good to use, it is not mold or bacteria or anything that would affect the soap.

Looks perfectly fine to me. Its just the fuzzy stuff on top created by pouring. Some bases do that more than others. And sometimes you get more with one batch and less on the next. You can melt it all down or cut it off if it bothers you. BTW-- GM base is cream colored and not white like white base. HTH

I had never before received soap in anything other than pristine condition, so I panicked! I wouldn't have even posted about it on here except that the first person I spoke with at EBC didn't want to see the photos and I was afraid it was something bad! Then when I received a call from them requesting the photos right after I posted here, I felt like a trouble-maker for posting!

And Candybee, thanks also for the info about the GM soap. All the GM I've had previously was white (or ivory) and this was creamy but translucent--until I remelted and re-incorporated the titanium dioxide. I poured about 10 pounds last night and it all seemed to do fine. Also, I had done a very small batch the first night and the bar I made seems okay. Will know more when I cut it tonight.

Thanks for your responses.

Now for me ? I wouldn't be real happy with the TO on the top/bottom like that... seems to me, you'd have to melt the entire thing down in on huge melter, to incorporate it back in, correctly... and the other way she mentioned.. cutting off some at a time and making sure to get some of the T0 in it.. seems like a real pain in the patootie to me. JMO but I'd not be happy. Although I realize "things happen" , why should she have to pay for, and figure out how to use, a product that should have been correct when she got it? Did they take anything off the price, for the hassle of what she will have to deal with ? Doubtful. Sorry, things like this just dont set well with me because Im supposed to fix anything I make that isn't "right".

Blacktieaffair

It isn't as bad as you think. You just haven't seen it before I assume. Its soap! Its perfectly good to use. Its also what happens when you pour large amount of melted base directly into the shipping box. Like EBC said sometimes you get more air when you pour.

There is absolutely no reason to cut any off. Just cut up your block and put into your meltor fuzzy parts and all.

Most times you don't see this stuff but sometimes you get a block with some. Its usually only about 1/4 inch deep or less and its soap!!

It may help if you think of pouring a Pepsi or other carbonated soft drink. You know how you get the foam when you pour? It doesn't hurt anything and is perfectly normal.

Hope that helps. If you plan to start buying M&P base in bulk its something you will have to get used to.

Candybee, thanks for the Coke analogy--that makes sense. You're right--it was about 1/4 inch. I've ordered the white from them a few times and it never had this, so I freaked out! I think I remember reading that Brambleberry pours directly into boxes also, so I guess that probably happens with theirs, too.

The SFIC soap I've received was always either in cut-up pieces or in 2-3 pound logs so it had probably been trimmed.

Thanks again for your explanation and helping talk me down!

Jane

Lots of suppliers that sell in 20+ lb blocks pour directly into the shipping box. This save money for you and me when we order. The boxes are usually USPS priority boxes which helps keep the shipping costs down. Plus if you have ever weighed your 20 lb block you will find that often times you get a little bit more soap. The last two 20lb blocks I ordered I got between the 2 an additional 2.5 lbs soap. I thought that was pretty darn cool!

The fuzzy soap on top isn't what bothers me. What bothers me is when the plastic lining they pour the soap in gets stuck in the base and has to be pryed off. If this happens I found its easiest to cut small bits of soap off from around the stuck area until you can free up the block.