Does anyone have any ideas....

Round ducting material would work. Round cardboard concrete casting tubes come in that size but the exterior finish would leave something to be desired unless you planned a rustic pillar. You could also find a prototype and mold your own with urethane or silicon molding material and a mother mold. A local machine shop could fabricate something for you, but it might be pricey. Round plastic storage containers might be another option as well as round wastebaskets. HTH

Edited by Stella1952

Round ducting material would work. Round cardboard concrete casting tubes come in that size but the exterior finish would leave something to be desired unless you planned a rustic pillar.

That would be perfect. The customer wants an "old", Tuscan look. Thanks!

Wow that will be a pretty huge candle! Nearly 25 pounds! I too would recommend ducting, they come in 9" rounds, you'll just have to seal the bottom. Make sure you support it too, there will be a lot of pressure on it if you are doing a single pour. Please post a pic when you're done!

Has anyone made a candle in cardboard tubing or ducting material that could post a picture of what it ended up looking like? Any size candle would be fine. I'd just like to see the finish. The customer has decided on 2 of these, and at nearly 50 lbs. total in wax, I'd like to see what the exterior finish would approxiamate before spending all the time and money, if at all possible. Thanks for any help.:tiptoe:

You can use a stainless steel cooking pot. You can drill a hole in the bottom for the wick(s) or you can make the hole(s) after you release the candle from the pot. You might have to use a long drill to make the holes; the long drills are called jobbers. Or you can heat up a thin metal rod or knitting needle to make the wick holes. You would have to multi wick and the placement would have to be tested so drilling would be done after you release the candle from the pot. If there is a Home Goods store near you, can probably find something suitable there. Good Luck!

As usual, my brain is going faster than my hands and I didn't explain this fully. There is no wicking. These are huge hurricane type candles, that once removed from the mold, I have work to do on the top to make it look like older candles used to look. Best I can describe that is the "drippy look". That I know how to do although it will take alot of hand work, but the actual exterior finish is what I am concerned about. She wants an "old", rustic looking finish. And as far as the right wax to use, etc., I've explained the whole product to technical personnel at several suppliers, and they've walked me through the whole thing almost identically verbatim, so I know where I'm going there too.

Silicone molds are out of the question due to cost for something this size. If the cardboard does the trick for a rustic exterior than it's the best/least costly way to go. I presume they have to be cut off when the candle hardens:confused:.

I just don't want to be in a position where I'm going to have to remelt them if the finish isn't right. It's going to take long enough for them to cool without having to do it more than once.:tiptoe: I hope that explains it better.

Ooooh hurricane's - that's much easier !!

Way back, someone posted pics of some candles that had been ''roughed'' up by using a wire brush = don't remember who or when but they did look old and rustic. If you can pour cold like when making rustic pillars, you should be able to get some of that rustic effect -

Go to a Heat & Air Shop that makes metal ducts for H&A unit installation. They can make you whatever size you want and the cost should be minimal. You will have a good smooth surface for candle removal. Be sure and spray the inside with mold release or silicone spray before pouring. If the seam is an issue, look at covering the seam with metal tape. You can buy a roll at most hardware stores. Same tape you would use to cover the wick hole in metal molds.

j.Snow