How do you know when your REALLY ready?

moonshine

I love making candles and do want to make it a small business eventually but I am also very realisitic that it probably will not be a huge money maker...

I have an opportunity in my area to "join" a Made in Michigan business of which my product would be candles. The way the store works is... The owner rented out a very cute and quaint building in our downtown area and she is accepting 15 members that make homemade products only. We (the members) have to pay $100.00 per month and what that gives us is- 5 hours exclusive use of the store for marketing events, home shows or whatever we chose, a listing on the website, access to one of our biggest events in our community in the summer for crafters and of course retail traffic throughout the week. I would get an area to display my product and all sales I get 100% of and no floor time neccesary- the owner does this.

Now I have a small display already at our place of business's but it is MY place and I make things and display them at my leisure and it's not a big deal if it doesn't sell...I have a "fear" to fail in making this jump not to mention our business's ARE the bread and butter right now and with the economy melt down and us being in a "construction" type business, I really can't afford for us to have alot of my time taken away from it right now- we are struggling, things are not what they used to be. We run a landscape supply business, septic service business, grading & excavating business, we sell Christmas trees and we also have a yard rental business in which we have many tenants on our property to keep track of- in short I am extremely busy and always in "book work" hell!

But on the other hand... if I do this, it really is the "ideal" setup as far as not taking too much of my time away other than making the product and continous testing (which I already do every spare second I have) and I do not need to have mass volumes made up and displayed- the store is small. It would be a good "get your feet wet" opportunity. I do have insurance, a company name and wonderful mother that helps me out in the other offices all week.

Soooo... I am wondering any and all thoughts any of you have on this... if anyone has done something like this and their experience or unforseen situations that I am over looking... I can cancel the "membership" at any time if it is NOT working out for me and so far the 12 members she has now have made their fee back in sales- but ithe store has just opened in November (the holiday season)

I sounds like to me that it's worth a shot. The monthly price seems reasonable to me & you can back out if it's not what you want or think you can handle. I wish I had an opportunity like that here I'd love to do something like that. I wonder how I'd find something like that lol

Good luck with it I really hope it works out for you.

Wow thats great! I wish there was a place like that here in Illinois for me I would do it in a heart beat I spead that on supplies often lol...But on the other hand I do understand you are very busy.If you mom is willing to continue to help in the other areas I would go for it..good luck..$100 a month wow...I was looking into a craft show for this spring its $115 a day...

Is your downtown a pretty busy shopping center? Is it in a good location? Highly visible? What ways is she going to advertise?

In my downtown and other surrounding cities' downtowns...$100 would not work for me. I wouldn't sell near what I would need to. How much would you have to sell to break even with the monthly rent and cost of candles?

Is your downtown a pretty busy shopping center? Is it in a good location? Highly visible? What ways is she going to advertise?

In my downtown and other surrounding cities' downtowns...$100 would not work for me. I wouldn't sell near what I would need to. How much would you have to sell to break even with the monthly rent and cost of candles?

The area is very busy all the time...BUT I am not sure how "homeade" products will do there- it really has become a "higher end" hate using the word "yuppie" but that is what it is. as far as product goes..I make 8 ounce square mason jars, melts (individually wrapped), 4 ounce tins and votives- after adding up all my costs AND shipping I simply cannot sell my jars for less than $10.00- I do not know how other people around here are selling for $8 or 2 for $15.00- so with that said I would have to sell 10 jars a month to get my rent back or 70 melts or 15 tins. I honestly have no clue if that is probable or not(I am selling about 30 melts and 4 to 5 jars a month currently at our business from people who have come in and bought before and keep coming back)- the only other stores around here that sells "homeade" are feed stores and honestly...I bought one (standard 8 ounce jelly jar) and I couldnt smell a thing- not even in a small bathroom with the door closed and a greenhouse on the otherside of town has a company private labeling for them and I bought one of those as well and holy mushroom! with very little scent throw and you can see the oil NOT incorporated into the wax. At this point as far as "Homeade" I do feel mine are better quality- but also more expensive. Then alot of the stores are carrying "Brand" names... Mia Bella- Beanpod- Northern Lights- and some other fancy names I cant think of...so I really just dont know...1 month trial wont do to much damage to my wallet but I am thinking of asking her if I can start in March- when spring starts to arrive.

I would have to sell 10 jars a month to get my rent back or 70 melts or 15 tins.

If you are selling your candles for $10 you would actually have to sell more than 10 to get your rent back because you need to deduct your cost of supplies. If you are selling at cost x2 you would need to sell 20 to get your rent back.

If you are selling your candles for $10 you would actually have to sell more than 10 to get your rent back because you need to deduct your cost of supplies. If you are selling at cost x2 you would need to sell 20 to get your rent back.

my retail is cost x3 roughly (I went off a spreadsheet from this forum of calculating costs and wanted to leave room for wholesale pricing eventually) so yes your right I would have to sell more.. My cost for making the jar candle is 3.38 which I can wholesale for 6.76 and retail at 13.62- which will never happen...so I revised at 6 wholesale and 10 retail which doesnt make for a great wholesale price but I wont do this for free.

To get back my costs I would need to sell- thanks for bringing that to my attention....now I may re-think this a little

The area is very busy all the time...BUT I am not sure how "homeade" products will do there- it really has become a "higher end" hate using the word "yuppie" but that is what it is. as far as product goes..I make 8 ounce square mason jars, melts (individually wrapped), 4 ounce tins and votives- after adding up all my costs AND shipping I simply cannot sell my jars for less than $10.00- I do not know how other people around here are selling for $8 or 2 for $15.00- so with that said I would have to sell 10 jars a month to get my rent back or 70 melts or 15 tins. I honestly have no clue if that is probable or not(I am selling about 30 melts and 4 to 5 jars a month currently at our business from people who have come in and bought before and keep coming back)- the only other stores around here that sells "homeade" are feed stores and honestly...I bought one (standard 8 ounce jelly jar) and I couldnt smell a thing- not even in a small bathroom with the door closed and a greenhouse on the otherside of town has a company private labeling for them and I bought one of those as well and holy mushroom! with very little scent throw and you can see the oil NOT incorporated into the wax. At this point as far as "Homeade" I do feel mine are better quality- but also more expensive. Then alot of the stores are carrying "Brand" names... Mia Bella- Beanpod- Northern Lights- and some other fancy names I cant think of...so I really just dont know...1 month trial wont do to much damage to my wallet but I am thinking of asking her if I can start in March- when spring starts to arrive.

Yuppies like to pay more for handmade and homemade items, and they like to think of themselves as a back-to-nature clique. Many of them will starve their dog or horse in order to pay a high price for a house decoration from a high-end store or catalogue, instead of paying less for the same item from a discounter. It's all about image, status, and having the trappings of success. And, I will say in advance to any Yuppies on this board who are offended by my comment, that I know what the H*** I'm talking about because I'm from a family and community of Yuppies. "Die Yuppie Scum!" Go ahead and overcharge their @$$-es!!! *drunken posting*Of course, there are always exceptions...

The area is very busy all the time...BUT I am not sure how "homeade" products will do there- it really has become a "higher end" hate using the word "yuppie" but that is what it is. as far as product goes..I make 8 ounce square mason jars, melts (individually wrapped), 4 ounce tins and votives- after adding up all my costs AND shipping I simply cannot sell my jars for less than $10.00- I do not know how other people around here are selling for $8 or 2 for $15.00- so with that said I would have to sell 10 jars a month to get my rent back or 70 melts or 15 tins. I honestly have no clue if that is probable or not(I am selling about 30 melts and 4 to 5 jars a month currently at our business from people who have come in and bought before and keep coming back)-

P.S. One of the veteran pros on this board sells her 8 oz square mason jar paraffin candles for $10.00.