Upcycling?

Darbla

I've seen the word "upcycling" used for what looks like crafting together bits and pieces of whatever you have lying around and making new things out of them. Sounds like what a lot of us never-been-rich people have been doing forever. But since it seems to be a trend now, maybe there's more info about it. So do any of you have any favorite web sites or books about converting things you already have into something more useful? Any neat projects you've done yourself?

I saw a cute bohemian purse made by braiding together long strips of fabric, then take the end of one of those braids and start winding it in a circle. Hand sew stitches here and there to keep it all together. Make the circle as large as you want the bottom of the purse, then start winding the braids up by stacking them as you loop them around. When it's as tall as you want it, stop looping the braids and maybe sew on another piece of fabric for a flap, and add a big button.

@Laura - i have spent countless hours on Pinterest.com. It is my all time favorite inspiration site. It makes me want to change just about everything in my home :laugh2: I feel "cleverer" just seeing the ideas others have shared.

That site launched me into several other organization and upcycling sites that just blew me away.

TallTayle - OMG I'm HOOKED on pintrest!!!! I'm thinking that was THE worst thing to do... but, I got the invite and couldn't refuse! HAHA!!! Isn't that site the best???? I want to try making a scarf out of an old tshirt now! LOL My hunny is NOT thrilled with that site.. He said - ummm... don't you have enough on your plate that you "want to try" at the moment? LOL Pfft.. Can never have too many hobbies!

Is there any upcycling or whatever crafty things with empty wine bottles? I've gotten a few this holiday season and hate to toss the bottles (spoken like a true pack rat.....). :)

If I had access to a kiln I would so slump them.

here are some images that might give you some inspiration...https://www.google.com/search?q=wine+bottle+recycling&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=JrG&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ylf2ToDLH8iDgwexy826Ag&ved=0CJoBELAE&biw=1366&bih=593Wine Bottle Inspiration

@Laura - i have spent countless hours on Pinterest.com. It is my all time favorite inspiration site. It makes me want to change just about everything in my home :laugh2: I feel "cleverer" just seeing the ideas others have shared.

That site launched me into several other organization and upcycling sites that just blew me away.

OK, I checked this site out, and I'm a little confused what it's about. I saw not just crafts, but pictures of food, wedding dresses, places people have traveled to, pets, and just a hodge-podge of stuff. There is not an "about" page that I saw. So are you just clicking around and looking at pictures?

You "pin" the pictures you like and make your own "board".

Exactly. Think of it like thousands of people with interests similar to yours scouring the internet for the coolest blogs, sites, photos, etc. Then they plant a "pin" or bookmark to it on this site. Once you are able to join, you can customize the searches, or pins, to things you personally love, people you love to follow (because there are SO MANY people with awe inspiring ideas).

it's a pretty convenient site to load your favorite bookmarks and see how many people have similar tastes to your own.

the site has helped me solve a number of home design and organization issues I had struggled with for a very long time. People now walk in to my home and think "wow!" instead of "whoa" :laugh2:

The bad thing is I spend hours looking at ideas from sites Pinterest led me to. The laundry is piling up :)