Does melt pool temp have anything to do with scent throw

Hi,

I have made 2 paraffin container blend glass jars. They take 268 grams of wax and are nearly 3 inch diameter.

I used 22 grams of fragrance oil, candle source spiced apples and peaches. I have used a 3x16c and also a 3x16p wick. Cold throw is lovely but I can hardly smell them when I walk into a room. The only time I can smell them burning is if they are in my loo (but that's very small).

Anyway can someone tell me if melt pool affects the throw? I just put my finger in the melt pool and it is just Luke warm, is this right or should it get hot? They are at full melt pool?

Thanks x

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer to your question is, yes. MP temp has a strong bearing on hot throw but it is not the ONLY factor. I am not familiar with the wicks you use nor do I know anything much about paraffin, but the basics of how to obtain the best HT in a candle are the same. All the components have to work together to yield the best results. HTH

Thank you very much for info. My flames are not huge and I am getting a full melt pool just, the jar is just abit warm, the melt pool although is melted is barely warm. Do you think I can wick up? Think I am already using 1 wick size up for the jar size (according to the Internet).

Many thanks x

Think I am already using 1 wick size up for the jar size (according to the Internet)

Wick recommendations are frequently off the mark. What works for one person may fail miserably for another, so you just have to test to see what works best for you. You didn't mention how long your test sessions were, which makes a difference. Hopefully someone who uses your same wax & wicks will chime in.

Hi,

I have made 2 paraffin container blend glass jars. They take 268 grams of wax and are nearly 3 inch diameter.

I used 22 grams of fragrance oil, candle source spiced apples and peaches. I have used a 3x16c and also a 3x16p wick. Cold throw is lovely but I can hardly smell them when I walk into a room. The only time I can smell them burning is if they are in my loo (but that's very small).

Anyway can someone tell me if melt pool affects the throw? I just put my finger in the melt pool and it is just Luke warm, is this right or should it get hot? They are at full melt pool?

Thanks x

I do think MP affects the throw in that is how a certain well known candle company gets their candles to throw quite well. Thing there is the MP gets very deep on their candles.

Other than that, from testing and testing parasoy and paraffins for quite some time, I have found that with a certain wick on some scents, I had very weak ST. By putting a different wick in that same tester it threw like crazy. I wish I could say all ended well there but it did not. The wick that provided an awesome ST had a very poor burn.

I know that really didn't answer your question but was hoping to help a little with wicks in the possibility that is where your problem lies.

Good luck :)

Since I dont do candles, I can't , with personal knowledge, answer the Jar size, wick, wax , mp equation but I can tell you what I do know.

I do para melts. Last week we were discussing the longevity of scent, and the throw, of all of our melts. From what I remember, almost everyone in the discussion, other than me, were using electric warmers that ran from 18 watts to 24 or so watts. I can't be sure but I swear someone said they had a 40 watt, but regardless, I use metal tealight melt/oil warmers. The only thing I could think of is " what is my melt temp getting compared to theirs".

I tested at 4 different times during a 3 hour tealight burn and my MP temps ran from 190 to 198 at any given time. Im just guessing but Im wondering if mine burn hotter than the electric warmers and thats why my scent burns off faster than theirs.

So without "knowing" because I haven't done candle/wick combos and tested the mp, I can say I am pretty sure at in melts at least, it has a lot to do with the strength of scent and how long it lasts.

JMO though.

Hello, thank you for all advice. Think I will order the next wick size up and maybe look around for some different wicks. I do have a full melt pool that is about a cm deep and the jar is just warm but the throw is not what I was wanting. The fragrance oil that i am using does seem to be strong as i have used it in tarts? Perhaps I need to try a different wick altogether. X

I tested at 4 different times during a 3 hour tealight burn and my MP temps ran from 190 to 198 at any given time. Im just guessing but Im wondering if mine burn hotter than the electric warmers and thats why my scent burns off faster than theirs.
There may lie the answer...or maybe partially. The wicks I mentioned above in my testing.....the ones that did not throw on some scents were Eco which are pretty hot burning wicks. The one that threw in those same scents were CDs. I don't have any clue where CDs lie in the heat category when lined up with Eco using same comparable size wick for same jar...etc., and too lazy to look it up right now. :rolleyes:

Need a coffee cup emoticon on here

Edited by jeanie353

Yes I have had lots of probs with my melts, some seem to last ages and others only a few hours. I was using a tea light burner as well, I did take my melt temp and it was roughly 185. I have now got a electric burner and I am trying that out to see if I can get my tarts to last longer. How long do your tarts usually last?

Ok since I dont want to hijack the thread since its referring to candles, I wont go into all of it , but I will say this. Normally, I get 8 to 12 hours super scent hot throw from a 1/2 oz cube of wax scented with 1:1 ratio. I CAN burn the same melt the next day and smell it rather well but not that "blow the barn doors off " hot throw. There's quite a few discussions on Wickless :) Considering the average burn time for an 8 oz candle is around 60 to 80 hours I think , 1/2 oz cube per melt, 3 oz per pack, 6 cubes per pack... 12 hrs per 1/2 oz cube... 6x12 is 72 hours ............ so umm, I dont think Im doing too shabby for three ounces of wax.

Sorry yall !

Really? I'm so down at the moment about this whole tart making. I just don't know how long they should last, I have read on here about some tarts lasting 2-3 days. I would love that. I have tried so many diff wax combinations and the end result is they all seem to last the same amount of time. I just don't know what else I can do to make them last longer :( xx

Wow I think that's great. I think I seem to get about 8 hours strong scent :(
I think that is perfectly fine too. There are some valid reasons for NOT having a cube last longer in a recent discussion about this. One is the customer may want to not smell the same scent for more than one day. And you sell more that way :) Edited by jeanie353
spelling

Yes have just read that thread. I suppose it is right. I really want to be able to master this. I have loved candles and melts for so long now and have always wanted to be able to make my own but never had courage to actually do it incase I can never get it right. Now both my children are at school full time I thought I would finally have a go.

I have had a break from making tarts as it was driving me insane and am now having a little go at candles x

The temp in the MP on my 2 piece warmer is 145. The HT usually lasts very strong for 1 1/2 days, then starts weakening. I've noticed the soy waxes really put out a strong HT even if they don't scent well in a candle. Most of the waxes I use are just the leftover testing jar scraps not real tart wax.

I'm testing the new IGI Tart wax 4826. Even at 10% FO its just not strong enough. I have it blended with other waxes & they are working great! I still have to run the tests for 6 & 8% FO in the wax.

Yes I was using soy wax and I thought it was good however am now using a paraffin container wax for my melts and I think they seem to last abit longer x

Yes have just read that thread. I suppose it is right. I really want to be able to master this. I have loved candles and melts for so long now and have always wanted to be able to make my own but never had courage to actually do it incase I can never get it right. Now both my children are at school full time I thought I would finally have a go.

I have had a break from making tarts as it was driving me insane and am now having a little go at candles x

Ohhh boy! I sure hope you have better success wicking a candle than I am having right now. Working with parasoy and paraffin and am going getting more gray hair as the days go by.

I am in the uk and wax choices are very limited here.

I know how you feel about wicking, I have only been doing this a short while and already I am wondering if I am ever going to get it. In the UK our candle supplies are much more ltd, I am already getting fragrances from the US and am now wondering if I should try getting my wicks from the US as well x

Joannec, what type of wax are you using? Decide on a wax and learn it "inside and out", so to speak. What type of wicks are available to you there, in the UK?

As you begin your journey to premature wrinkles and grey hair, stick with one (simple) container, one wax, and a few FOs.

I do not work with soy; tried it in the past and just wasn't happy with it. I much prefer paraffin and parasoy. So if you use soy or plan on using soy, you may want to ask your questions in the vegetable waxes section. Oh, I do use feather palm wax, mainly for tarts, though.

I am in the uk and wax choices are very limited here.

I know how you feel about wicking, I have only been doing this a short while and already I am wondering if I am ever going to get it. In the UK our candle supplies are much more ltd, I am already getting fragrances from the US and am now wondering if I should try getting my wicks from the US as well x

Hi, thanks for advice. At the moment I am just using a simple glass jar, with a 3 inch top, it doesn't taper in or anything, just straight. Wicks we seem to have here are wedo lx, paper core and cotton core. I have all 3 of these and so far have tried the paper core and cotton core. I was told that the wedo wicks don't perform well with large amounts of fragrance and also that I should only use a cored wick in containers?