Clean Up Tips

karie

My least favorite part of making candles. So far my system is using the heat gun to get as much wax out of the molds and pour pots. I stuff about 3 paper towels in them and use my big stainless spoon to stir them around. Then I fill up the utility tub with hot soapy water and soak them for a few. Lastly I use these most awesome gloves to use a rag to finish cleaning. These gloves also come in handy for handling hot molds, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007ZGURK/ref=oh_o00_s00_i01_details

Any other tips?

As soon as I finish pouring, I wipe out my pour pot and wipe my big slotted spoon or whisk with paper towels. Then I set them in my oven on 170 degrees on a pan with a paper towel in the bottom. I set the pour pot upside-down so the residue can drain out of it. When I get ready to pour the next batch, I wipe out the pot again very thoroughly to make sure there is no more scent from the previous FO, and wipe the spoon down again. No problems. I don't wash the pour pot or utensils because I read you're not supposed to, just wipe them down really good. I use a bit of FO on a paper towel to clean up any dye drips.

Edited by HorsescentS

When I wash my stuff, there is very little wax if any. Just trying to get oils and stuff off. The oven thing is a good idea except, and I kid you not, my oven takes about 45 minutes to preheat. I live in an old house and they remodeled the kitchen with an itty bitty tinny weenie built in oven. The heat gun does a great job though.

As soon as I finish pouring, I wipe out my pour pot and wipe my big slotted spoon or whisk with paper towels. Then I set them in my oven on 170 degrees on a pan with a paper towel in the bottom. I set the pour pot upside-down so the residue can drain out of it. When I get ready to pour the next batch, I wipe out the pot again very thoroughly to make sure there is no more scent from the previous FO, and wipe the spoon down again. No problems. I don't wash the pour pot or utensils because I read you're not supposed to, just wipe them down really good. I use a bit of FO on a paper towel to clean up any dye drips.

I wipe out my pour pots immediately after pouring - only takes a couple of seconds and I don't do anything further with them.

I wipe out my pour pots immediately after pouring - only takes a couple of seconds and I don't do anything further with them.

I wish I could do that, but no matter how thoroughly I wipe mine out after pouring, they still retain the scent of the FO I poured, and it doesn't go away until they've been in the oven for a few minutes and wiped again.

Since I change scents just about every time I pour, I dunk my measuring glass is slightly boiling water, after I've wiped out what I could... and get the rest off. At the end of the day, after I turn the water off, the next morning I get up , peel off the wax that's on the top and has solidified, gently take that out, let it dry really good, and use it with my other "scraps" to make firestarter wax.

So tonight I tried just paper towels and heat gun. A little tricky getting all the ick out but worked good. I would like to skip the step of washing. Only problem with my heat gun is that above my workbench is a smoke/heat detector?!?!?!? So I have to go to the other side of the room. It's so akward.

We live in an old house and had some remodeling done last year. The inspector made us put in some fancy smoke/heat detector system that has all the detectors linked. I spilled a bit of wax on my hot plate last night and ran it to the next room while the smoke dissapated. Thing is so sensitive. There is no visible smoke with the heat gun.

I never wash my pour pots. Pour, drain, wipe with paper towels. I'm dye free so I don't have to worry about color and what little scent is left as residue does not affect the next batch. If its a super, super strong scent, I might let it "air out" overnight before using it for the next scent. Been doing that way for years and its never been a problem