cheap fragrance

tbowers8403

I've used a few of their FO's. The Chamomile Lavender is super strong, CT and HT. The Dragon's Blood was dissapointing, though I loved the CT. The Blue Kiwi has great CT and decent HT. Those are the only ones I put in wicked candles so far. The Chocolate Mint has great cold throw and worked well in tarts. I did make a votive out of it for my kids, but haven't lit it yet, lol. I guess I should do that some time soon.

Even the suppliers will have "hits" and "misses" depending on your preferences and the system you use. You'll just have to test! One suggestion is once you can access the classifieds = watch them for great deals. Often a chandler will be 'cleaning out' and will list multiple FOs for reduced prices. It's a great way to get your feet wet. Good Luck!

How I got started was searching the Classifieds on another board ( can't WAIT to get access over here ) and buying stuff from candlers I'd read and read up on. But my biggest helps have been from waiting til BCN or Candle Science has their FO's ( 1ozers ) go on sale for .99 cents each and going crazy ordering a ton of stuff!

Another big help is to just read read read read read everyone's posts and see what companies they are getting things from, see how they worked for them, what wax they are using, what they are making it for ( pillars, containers, melts, dipped items, bath and body) and start making a list of the scents or companies you see talked about over and over.

Starting out is scary sometimes, and theres TONS of ladies and gents on this board and others, that have been doing this for many many years, and their expertise and willingness to share, is priceless!!!

Good luck sweetie!

Thanks, I appreciate all the advice on here. I am excited and nervous to begin. I need a hobby being a SAHM and would love to one day make great stuff to sell it. I'm starting with tarts (though I bought the wrong wax lol oh well). It's a long road especially with a toddler and a new babe on the way :)

Congrats tbowers, you have now entered the Twilight Zone ! lol Sorry, couldn't resist!

This can become an addiction fast, but by the one phrase "One day make great stuff to sell" puts you on the right track. There are tons and tons of testing involved before most of us ever sold our first thing.. sometimes years after we started "piddling" with it. The great thing is having boards like this one where you can ask all sorts of questions about ANY supplier and get feedback from the pros on what they've found that works for them, and you can go from there to make it your own.

Here's just a suggestion.

Since you are a SAHM, you might want to try starting out with melts and dipped items then move on to a few easy to do bath and body products, just to get your feet wet and bring in some money. Since there is no flame involved in these items, you aren't having to worry about things exploding as much ( trust me, it can happen! Sometimes a FO wont be mixed as well as it should and when the flame hits it, .. you can figure out the rest. Not talking a huge explosion but enough that it could hurt someone or something by popping out hot wax on them, or causing the candle top to catch on fire. Please dont let me scare you! Im just trying to relate that candles take MASSIVE amounts of testing, each and every scent you use.

Word of advice... Please, PLEASE get insurance not only for your products but to make sure your home is covered by what you are doing also. This is good advice whether you are selling , or just making presents for people, or just sending stuff out to testers. No matter how careful you are, sometimes things just go whacky and make sure you, your business, and your home , are covered in case of accidents ( or others not paying attention to your directions).

As for your original question, FOs... like they said above, cheap prices does not automatically equal cheap quality. 10 of my top 25 sellers are all "closeout or clearance" priced FOs from one particular supplier and I am hoarding every bottle I can get from them, but , eventually they will run out and I'll have to deal with it. Nature of the beast.

Fo's work differently not only in different waxes, but in different parts of the country. Case in point, I have sold a pack of melts to a customer I have in Denver, it came out of the same literal pound of wax I made the other 5 packs from... she was telling me that her pack doesn't smell as strong as she'd like. I was visiting her this past summer, and she put one in the warmer and sure enough, it was weak. Im guessing it was the altitude messing with it. Dont know. Just know the others out of that run worked great.

I know you will have fun with this, and I know you're probably going to get some headaches but the one thing you will get... Is when you make a wonderful product, and your customers come back to you and rave how great it is, and reorder... there's not a lot in this business that beats that feeling :)

So, I am 100% new to candles and I was wondering if I am going to get what I paid for in fragrance. Cheap or maybe good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140443645805?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

That price is for the 2.5ml size ... really not much to work with. When I checked the 1 oz (typical for 1oz per pound of wax) it was $3.75! Not exactly cheap ... and the 16oz was $15.00. Comperable with some suppliers.

Now the Options section is really confusing ... order 32 oz and get 2-16oz or 4-8oz ~ but can you get different aromas? And 8oz is a big amount if you just wanted to test them. Not saying their oils are bad, never ordered from them, but I just don't see how you would be saving any money if the oil didn't work for you. Now if you could get 1oz of 32 different oils that would be worth it but that doesn't seem to be an option.

That price is for the 2.5ml size ... really not much to work with. When I checked the 1 oz (typical for 1oz per pound of wax) it was $3.75! Not exactly cheap ... and the 16oz was $15.00. Comperable with some suppliers.

Now the Options section is really confusing ... order 32 oz and get 2-16oz or 4-8oz ~ but can you get different aromas? And 8oz is a big amount if you just wanted to test them. Not saying their oils are bad, never ordered from them, but I just don't see how you would be saving any money if the oil didn't work for you. Now if you could get 1oz of 32 different oils that would be worth it but that doesn't seem to be an option.

I find it cheap cause for $5.60 I am getting 50 4ounce FO's. It didn't mention per smell, if so I am in bank account trouble.

For the poster above this quote, thanks for the guidance! I plan to stay away from wicked products. I only plan to make them with my recycled wax melts. Save money and I think would be a fun project.

On the off topic, Fedex damaged my pour pot. I have to wait till Monday to call Candlewic. Grrr

I find it cheap cause for $5.60 I am getting 50 4ounce FO's. It didn't mention per smell, if so I am in bank account trouble.

For the poster above this quote, thanks for the guidance! I plan to stay away from wicked products. I only plan to make them with my recycled wax melts. Save money and I think would be a fun project.

On the off topic, Fedex damaged my pour pot. I have to wait till Monday to call Candlewic. Grrr

I just checked it out & ordered -1- 4 oz FO for $5.60 including shipping.

And I agree, the title of their auction is misleading. The auction is for individual FOs, not a mixed lot.

Edited by Beth

I just checked it out & ordered -1- 4 oz FO for $5.60 including shipping.

And I agree, the title of their auction is misleading. The auction is for individual FOs, not a mixed lot.

I messaged them about it and told them I am confused of what I ordered since a "friend" told me I ordered one item and I assumed 50 assorted 4 ouncers. I may ask for a refund, its almost like false advertisement.

Between my melting pot being dented, this order, toddler climbing out of her crib - I could cry right now or scream.

Just my two scents but if you are going to start making candles and or tarts for a hobby it would be better to stick with a well known candlemaking supplier. Most of these suppliers have whats called sampler packs where you can purchase 5, 10, or 20 1oz sample FOs for a bargain. Then you know you are buying quality oils from a reliable source. Plus you can continue buying from them if you decide you like the scent and it works in your wax.

Well,

Venus Candles refunded my money and cancelled my order after telling them I was giving them a neutral status (which really wouldn't hurt much) since their description was confusing. I even gave them the scents I wanted. I wouldn't order from them again - their customer service is awful.

I have never tried them. You can paid a lot and get an FO that is weak. I have bought FO with great review on this board and they just didn't work for me. If I had to pick one supplier it would be NG and they have fast shipping and good customer service which doesn't hurt.

This an expensive hobby, so I would start small and test your local market. A lot of people are selling their supplies, molds and such on eBay.