Asking another chandler for information

classiccandle

I've had several people ask me things like this. Once at our monthly flea market I had someone that I swear smelled every candle I had. As they were doing so started telling me they are thinking of getting into the candle biz and asked me just about everything under the sun from where I get this scent, that scent, what wicks do I use, what wax, how to make them etc. Then asked me how I thought the business was at the flea market as they would maybe be interested in setting up there if they got into it. They were a state up from me, but, where I live you can get to that state in 15 min. So of course I just told them I use different suppliers and that if they were interested in trying to make a candle to google suppliers, get some supplies and test it out. I was as nice as could be and I think they got the hint that it was not cool to basically ask me everything. I was thinking the whole time, would you like me to make them for you too?? There was no way I was telling someone that stuff when they would be competition for me at the flea market if they indeed tested it out and gave it a try. I thought it was rather ballsy of them but they were nice and didn't push the issue. They did buy a couple candles from me though and I haven't seen them selling anywhere yet so either they moved on from the idea or maybe still testing.

I have no problem if someone who makes soap inquires about a particular scent as I don't make soap and have no plans to ever do so. I simply don't have the patience to get into soaping. It's one thing for someone who makes different things as you to ask about a scent , but, direct competition is something entirely different. If you're determined to make this for the customer, I'd order samples from different suppliers and also I'd buy a candle from the other chandler or ask the customer to borrow hers for comparision. I'd compare the samples to the actual scent she's wanting. None of them may be the same as what she's been getting as it could be something the chandler renamed.

Edited by pleasureridgecandles

I've had several people ask me things like this. Once at our monthly flea market I had someone that I swear smelled every candle I had. As they were doing so started telling me they are thinking of getting into the candle biz and asked me just about everything under the sun from where I get this scent, that scent, what wicks do I use, what wax, how to make them etc. Then asked me how I thought the business was at the flea market as they would maybe be interested in setting up there if they got into it. They were a state up from me, but, where I live you can get to that state in 15 min. So of course I just told them I use different suppliers and that if they were interested in trying to make a candle to google suppliers, get some supplies and test it out. I was as nice as could be and I think they got the hint that it was not cool to basically ask me everything. I was thinking the whole time, would you like me to make them for you too?? There was no way I was telling someone that stuff when they would be competition for me at the flea market if they indeed tested it out and gave it a try. I thought it was rather ballsy of them but they were nice and didn't push the issue. They did buy a couple candles from me though and I haven't seen them selling anywhere yet so either they moved on from the idea or maybe still testing.

I have no problem if someone who makes soap inquires about a particular scent as I don't make soap and have no plans to ever do so. I simply don't have the patience to get into soaping. It's one thing for someone who makes different things as you to ask about a scent , but, direct competition is something entirely different. If you're determined to make this for the customer, I'd order samples from different suppliers and also I'd buy a candle from the other chandler or ask the customer to borrow hers for comparision. I'd compare the samples to the actual scent she's wanting. None of them may be the same as what she's been getting as it could be something the chandler renamed.

Maybe you should've offered to sell them wholesale to her for re-selling :)

Well, for those that ask you every question under the sun, stating they are "interested" in getting into candles , explain :

You did 5 years of massive testing before you ever sold your first candle

You have more likely than not, tested over 10 waxes, 400 scents, 60 different wicks, 30 different jar combinations ( and you had to buy more than one of these each )

In 3 years time, you spent a minimum of 5,000.00 testing alone ( and this doesn't count office overhead or advertising or show fees or website fees)

You have given up your family time, worked sick even on your off day, held a full time job while trying to learn about candles, had fights with the kids and spouse over your new obsession and how MUCH it costs and you never having time for them and making them eat frozen dinners for months at a time...

And IF they haven't ran away from you at this point.. you can always seal it by saying :

" I'll be holding classes for candle making this Spring. The course length is one year, five days a week, 8 hours a day, and the cost is 1k a week plus the cost of your supplies and insurance."

That should shut them up :)

Edited : And if this DOESN'T shut them up and make them run off... YOU need to run because they are certifiable freaking NUTS !

Edited by blacktieaffair

• 3 weeks later...

We got bit in the back side from one person who started out buy it wholesale from us. They didnt want to buy that much at a time, so she asked us if we would bring it in for her and then wholesale it to her. We said yes because we wholesale to several candle companies. Well she saw a delevery one day and now we compete against her at shows with our soaps using the same scents. But she dont get them from us anymore. It might seem rude not to give out info, but think about it this way, it is your money and time. I value both.

Ok I ended up having this happen to me, extremely recently. Here is what I did, and lo and behold it worked.

Customer had purchased something from Cali, we live in Tn. I couldn't figure out what scent it was for nothing, so I contacted the person she purchased it from and explained my situation. Being a small business owner who's business has suffered also in this economy she offered to sell me, however much of that oil that I wanted, but so she could "keep the secret" , it came unlabeled and I did pay out the nose for it. I had explained to my customer what it cost, she didn't balk because as she said, paying that little extra to get something that would take a massive amount to ship, it wasn't an issue for her.

I wont make a habit out of this but, my customer is happy, the lady in Cali is making a rather nice profit, and because I went a little out of my way to try to please her, I got five MUCH larger orders than she usually places.

Im sure this is probably the exception to the rule, but.. I figured I might as well ask, and it did work for me ( this time lol )

Ok I ended up having this happen to me, extremely recently. Here is what I did, and lo and behold it worked.

Customer had purchased something from Cali, we live in Tn. I couldn't figure out what scent it was for nothing, so I contacted the person she purchased it from and explained my situation. Being a small business owner who's business has suffered also in this economy she offered to sell me, however much of that oil that I wanted, but so she could "keep the secret" , it came unlabeled and I did pay out the nose for it. I had explained to my customer what it cost, she didn't balk because as she said, paying that little extra to get something that would take a massive amount to ship, it wasn't an issue for her.

I wont make a habit out of this but, my customer is happy, the lady in Cali is making a rather nice profit, and because I went a little out of my way to try to please her, I got five MUCH larger orders than she usually places.

Im sure this is probably the exception to the rule, but.. I figured I might as well ask, and it did work for me ( this time lol )

You should mail out a sniffy to a few of the veteran noses here and see if they can figure it out for you, lol.

I've not used this option from the Candlemakers Store, but, they do offer scent duping if you send them in some of the FO. Might be worth looking into if it's reasonable (cost wise) and you will always have access to getting more of it. Who knows when and if this lady in Cali will go OOB and if she'll give up the secret if she does. If you can have it duped that won't be a problem for you down the road, unless CMS goes bellyup. There may be other suppliers that offer this option as well. Just a thought.

There are a couple of candle suppliers that do this. I think Nature's Garden does this too but not sure. But do realize if they make a dupe you may be subject to buying more than a lb. They may have a 25 lb minimum for this service. Best to check out first and see what all is required.