Question about this candle, episode 2

I'm still learning about soy candles, but to me this seems way overwicked?! Look at that melt pool! That picture was on the front page of that company's website. If one is burned like this what's it like towards the bottom of the candle? Mine don't start cleaning off the sides of the glass until about halfway through the candle, which is my understanding of how they should burn. Thoughts from the experts?

post-13542-13945848946_thumb.jpg

That's a wicked high flame for sure. It certainly appears overwicked to me, but the photo is only one moment in that candle's burn time. Because it's an "ambience" photo, it's tough to say whether or not this candle actually IS overwicked. It "appears" to be so, but...

I'm not a big fan of multiple wicking, except in really wide candles (4+ inches) because no two flames are the same height, etc. This bothers my OCD brain and would make me want to trim the wick on the one that's larger... uh oh, trimmed too much, now I have to trim the other one... uh oh, still not right, trim again... and the next thing ya know, I'd have wick nubs.

Oh come on, that candle is not overwicked...if you are trying to clear the enemy out of a pillbox, lol!! I don't sell soy candles, but have made and tested alot, and it appears quite overwicked to me. Bet the glass will be very hot into the burn. And I am betting on lots of soot, especially near the end. The container looks like the Libbey 2328 (Lexington, Chicago?) Old Fashioned, so I imagine a single wick would be much better. Just my opinion.

The position of those wicks would appear too near the sides of the container which would make it hotter than the surface of the sun? The melt pool is about mmmm 1 1/2 inches deep and the flare on that one wick may mean it hit a pocket of fo or diesel fuel. Not good IMHO.

Steve

I'm going to go with you can't really tell. I think if it stays this deep through the burn (which is what happens with multiple wicks) it should be ok. Down a little more if you get a fmp when there is about 2" left in the candle then yes, over wicked, but I have found with double wicked smaller containers (under 5") about 1/2 way down in a lot of jars the flames get smaller, it is a phenomenon I have experienced many times. You never can tell.

001 I'm going to start a new thread with a question about doublewicking. If you don't mind following me over?

I'm going to go with you can't really tell. I think if it stays this deep through the burn (which is what happens with multiple wicks) it should be ok. Down a little more if you get a fmp when there is about 2" left in the candle then yes, over wicked, but I have found with double wicked smaller containers (under 5") about 1/2 way down in a lot of jars the flames get smaller, it is a phenomenon I have experienced many times. You never can tell.

• 4 weeks later...
That's a wicked high flame for sure. It certainly appears overwicked to me, but the photo is only one moment in that candle's burn time. Because it's an "ambience" photo, it's tough to say whether or not this candle actually IS overwicked. It "appears" to be so, but...

I'm not a big fan of multiple wicking, except in really wide candles (4+ inches) because no two flames are the same height, etc. This bothers my OCD brain and would make me want to trim the wick on the one that's larger... uh oh, trimmed too much, now I have to trim the other one... uh oh, still not right, trim again... and the next thing ya know, I'd have wick nubs.

Wow, I have found someone else like me with the OCD wick problem with 2 wicks LOL...thought it was just me.