Frustrated with wicking..... Go Figure !!

OK, So I haven't posted in some time. I had actually taken some time off from trying & testing candles due to wicking frustrations and started making some tarts to at least enjoy the FO :smiley2:

Anyway I started back on the candles and thought I was getting close to a decent burn but they all seem to be tunneling somewhat. They started to catch up a little but after several burns with only about an inch left there is still about 1/8-1/4" on sides 1/2-3/4" above the melt pool.

So heres what I have:

Libby Status 12oz, 3"D

Wax 6006

Harvest FO- BC 7%

UV 1/2tsp. PPW

Dye - Liquid- Honey Vanilla 3gtts

Wicks - HTP 83, 93, & ECO 6

No problems with HT! They all smell AWESOME!

The jars were warm to the touch with HTP, a little hotter with the ECO. Small or no mushroom with different burns with HTP. More on ECO along with soot on the ECO.

The wax on sides also seems to be more on one side with all of them and I've checked & rechecked the wicks and all seem to be dead center.

My other tester was with Pear Spice- peaks with an HTP 73 with a little better results. Less hangup. Pictures Below.

I have tried CD 10 in a different FO and it seemed to be to hot with a flickering flame & soot. Would a CD 8 really work in 3"D??

My next try was going to be a HTP 104. Or do you think that would be to big also:confused:

Suggestions?? I have a wide variety of wicks in CD, LX, Sample HTP & ECO, I think even a sample of RRDs. So far I'm leaning toward the HTP as those are the ones I've had the most steady flame & no visible soot :smiley2: But willing to try anything!

post-13137-139458489403_thumb.jpg

post-13137-139458489408_thumb.jpg

post-13137-139458489413_thumb.jpg

post-13137-139458489417_thumb.jpg

Well, I use the same jar. With 4786 and a blend of Genwax 128, the HTP 73 works the best for me. Some hang, catches up.

For the Harmony/Genwax, I found a lighter wick was better and the CD8 seemed to be the winner.

I'm not sure about 6006. I only used that a little bit and not in the status jar. My gut would tell me to try an ECO 2 and see how it goes from there.

CandleAddict_RN, the 6006 is one of the waxes I use in that same jar, but I don't add anything to the 6006; just wax and FO. Also use the 4786 blended with another paraffin in that Status jar.

I use 1.2 ounces of FO in 16oz. of 6006 and wick with ECO 2 or 4 depending on the FO; they turn out "perfectly", best throw than all other wicks. Second to the ECO for quality of burn and HT are the LX wicks.... well, best for me because they worked like a charm for me :cheesy2:.

HTH

OK! Off I go to pour some more. I'm going to try wicking down on the ECO, try a CD 8, & continue burning the HTP 73 and see what becomes of it. I may go back a little later and try a LX........Oh heck!! Might as well pour with that too while I'm at it. Do you think a 18 might work? I was given CD's & LX's in every size when I got all my supplies from a friend, so plenty to test with :)

Try 85% 6006 and 15% soy (of your choice) and pour at 185 degrees into room temp jars and leave uncovered. Try a cd 10 in that sucker and see how you like it. Use 6% fo up to 8% for lighter fos. HTH

Steve

Thanks Steve. I remember you had used this wax in the past from prior posts and I had actually tried your recipe a couple months ago using 464 because that's what i had. Although now I read a lot that that particular wax doesn't do well for a lot in regards to hot through. I tried it with a few different scents and all seemed to smoke and soot a lot with a CD 10 using just 6% at the time. I poured some yesterday(6006 alone) using a CD 8, HTP 73, and ECO 4. Letting them cure a couple days and see what happens. I'm determined to get this wax wicked before I dig out the GL 70/30 I have that someone gave me:rolleyes2

Thanks to the rest of you also! I am taking anything and everything into consideration at this point :smiley2:

OK, So I haven't posted in some time. I had actually taken some time off from trying & testing candles due to wicking frustrations and started making some tarts to at least enjoy the FO :smiley2:

Anyway I started back on the candles and thought I was getting close to a decent burn but they all seem to be tunneling somewhat. They started to catch up a little but after several burns with only about an inch left there is still about 1/8-1/4" on sides 1/2-3/4" above the melt pool.

So heres what I have:

Libby Status 12oz, 3"D

Wax 6006

Harvest FO- BC 7%

UV 1/2tsp. PPW

Dye - Liquid- Honey Vanilla 3gtts

Wicks - HTP 83, 93, & ECO 6

No problems with HT! They all smell AWESOME!

The jars were warm to the touch with HTP, a little hotter with the ECO. Small or no mushroom with different burns with HTP. More on ECO along with soot on the ECO.

The wax on sides also seems to be more on one side with all of them and I've checked & rechecked the wicks and all seem to be dead center.

My other tester was with Pear Spice- peaks with an HTP 73 with a little better results. Less hangup. Pictures Below.

I have tried CD 10 in a different FO and it seemed to be to hot with a flickering flame & soot. Would a CD 8 really work in 3"D??

My next try was going to be a HTP 104. Or do you think that would be to big also:confused:

Suggestions?? I have a wide variety of wicks in CD, LX, Sample HTP & ECO, I think even a sample of RRDs. So far I'm leaning toward the HTP as those are the ones I've had the most steady flame & no visible soot :smiley2: But willing to try anything!

In that same jar, using 6006 as is, without adding soy to it, a chandler I know usually uses a 60 zinc wick, and sometimes a 62 zinc. She uses those for her fundraiser candles, wrapped in a cello bag for $12.95. It's her bestseller. She uses a high FO load.

For bigger diameters over 3" I recently saw a supplier selling 65 zinc wicks, but I can't remember which one.

Edited by HorsescentS