Candle Recipes

So much for sharing recipes!

As previously stated, simply handing out formulas with no knowledge of how that formula was developed is no favor to a newbie nor is it fair to the chandler who spent months or years developing it. We learn by doing and what we learn is hard won. While we can offer tips and suggestions, no one "owes" anyone their "trade secrets" and techniques. There is a huge body of knowledge in these threads that should enable any student of chandling learn, test and discover which things work best for them in their candle system and which are not applicable. There's no substitute for experience in candle making.

As previously stated, simply handing out formulas with no knowledge of how that formula was developed is no favor to a newbie nor is it fair to the chandler who spent months or years developing it. We learn by doing and what we learn is hard won. While we can offer tips and suggestions, no one "owes" anyone their "trade secrets" and techniques. There is a huge body of knowledge in these threads that should enable any student of chandling learn, test and discover which things work best for them in their candle system and which are not applicable. There's no substitute for experience in candle making.

Well said

So much for sharing recipes!

I can give out a recipe but what the hell good does it do - if the op doesn't have my wax, wicks, jars???? Ok, here goes:

Wax: 4630

Jar: 8oz oval hex

FO: 5% for most scents

Wick: Eco 8

Didn't see you sharing anything......oh, that's right, you don't make anything other than melts.

Edited by Pam W

I guess I should share a recipe.

You won't be able to do this easily, but I did this cuz its a bunch of stuff laying around and I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. Been burning the candle for a couple of weeks now (4 hours at night) and its about at its end but still very strong.

Balmoral 16 jar http://www.candlewic.com/store/Product.aspx?q=c24,p1074&title=16-oz.-Balmoral-Glass-Jar-Container

This jar holds less than 16 oz (that size is based on water weight to the rim not wax weight to the lid line). I think it holds about 12 oz of wax.

So the recipe will give you some left over. Good for tarts.

5 oz hobby lobby 133 wax

5 oz generalwax 128

5 oz IGI 4730 harmony

2/3 oz lavender FO

2/3 oz pumpkin pie spice

2/3 oz sage

No dye

HTP 104 wick

Burns nice on a 4 hour burn. In the middle of the candle there is some hang on the sides that eventually catches up. At the bottom it has a pool about a quarter inch deep and the sides of the container are touchable. If it burns more than 4 hours it seems to be OK (I test my candles for abuse).

There's a little black on the rim now that the burn is about to the bottom. I've had to trim a few small mushrooms due to the FO load.

Edited by EricofAZ

I can give out a recipe but what the hell good does it do - if the op doesn't have my wax, wicks, jars???? Ok, here goes:

Wax: 4630

Jar: 8oz oval hex

FO: 5% for most scents

Wick: Eco 8

Didn't see you sharing anything......oh, that's right, you don't make anything other than melts.

Yes, I love my tarts and only sell tarts. It's a great business! I have no idea why you are such a total wench. I've shared quite a bit about making tarts, fragrance reviews, etc, to the point our moderator has asked me to write up a tutorial. Go on hiding behind your screen name and your key board and spewing out your ridiculous comments. I'm sorry it's so darn hard for you to be nice without being snotty in the next breath. Every time I post back at you I get a minimum of 10 private messages applauding me, mostly from those who never post. I know God doesn't make junk so I have to believe it is a hard and bitter life you've had with little appreciation. Now that you're an experience chandler, time to teach yourself a new skill - being nice.

yup, high FO load. Genwax and HL don't hold much. My theory is that the IGI has too much additive and diluting it a bit seems to work OK. Not sure if that theory is correct, but I've noticed it with other IGI's that I diluted. The FO load doesn't sweat out and the 'shroom is tolerable. Not sure I'd sell it, but for personal use its fun.

yup, high FO load. Genwax and HL don't hold much. My theory is that the IGI has too much additive and diluting it a bit seems to work OK. Not sure if that theory is correct, but I've noticed it with other IGI's that I diluted. The FO load doesn't sweat out and the 'shroom is tolerable. Not sure I'd sell it, but for personal use its fun.

Hi Eric, your statement about too many additives in IGI wax(s) has intrigued me. Why do you think that is a problem and what do you think these additives are? I am currently testing 4630, it is a soft wax but has great HT and mimics soy in wicking and burn. One difference is that if the wick length gets away from you (lack of trimming), the soot is greater than with soy but overall, I like it. I mention 4630 because it must have a lot of additives it make it the way it is.

Thanks

RJ,

Well, um, er, gosh, uh, gee, hmm....

I don't have a scientific basis for this. I used pure IGI's for a while to get used to them before blending. They reacted as advertised. Good CT or good HT or both. When I started mixing IGI's the only change I noticed were whether or not the wet spots reduced, or shrinking changed.

IGI's say there are additives and in some cases say that adding vybar is not necessary (which makes me think the vybar is one of the main additives). There are additives for mottling, so the IGI mottling wax has this in it.

When I mixed with wax that has no additives like Genwax 128, I noticed the HT was a bit better. This happened with 4786, 4630, and a few others.

The Genwax by itself holds about 3 percent. 5 or more percent and it sweats. But for some reason when I mixed with IGI, it would hold the full IGI rated amount and more. I could load to 12 percent and even experimented with 18 percent (bad for wicks - shrooms - but great for tarts). So it is my best guess that the IGI is overloaded with additives because I think if not overloaded with additives the dilution would take away from the FO load and HT and not enhance it.

Edited by EricofAZ

@EricofAZ thanks for the thoughtful post and explanation of your previous comment. I follow your reasoning but personally don't know enough about additives yet to do such things. I've always wondered what gets added to make these commercial blend so soft; 4630, 4627.

• 3 weeks later...
I live in Illinois and priced alot of suppliers for wax shipped to me and the cheapest was Gate Saco, DPS/Morris wax. 815-462-0939

I live in Illinois and your right I have ordered twice from them 10lb slab for $10 shipping and got it the next day