Citric Acid

soycrazy

I haven't heard of using citric acid in CP soap. You might try upping the super fat. If you want to post your recipe we could help you try to "fix" the issue. I had a friend who drives an 18 wheeler take my soap all over the USA and check it out, it worked fine in all kinds of water.

Seems like I have read about using borax for this, although I have not tested it. I use borax in my laundry soap powder and so far have not noted any build-up on the inside of the washer or on my clothing... but that's a different process altogether as the borax is added after the soap is made.

It might help for you to know which mineral in your water is causing the hardness... (or not, LOL) but since you are dealing with this in your water and not the soap, I can't see how adjusting the soap formula would have a big effect on your general water problems... I think Kitn's suggestion regarding the superfat is reasonable... My water is quite hard and I use an 8% superfat. No filmy skin thus far... Have you tried adding some sea salt to your soap?

I've heard of attempts at using citric acid as a chelating agent in soap but believe it was added after HP, not CP. You don't want to lower the pH of the solution too much or SAP won't happen as you're used to.

Tetrasodium EDTA is a more common chelating additive in CP. I personally wouldn't use borax in soap for use on my skin. I do use borax in my laundry powder.

It would help identify likely culprits if you would share your formula.

Yeah I read about Tetrasodium EDTA, but for me I wouldn't have a problem with it, but other people would that use my soap unfortunately.

I thought raising the sf would make is worse or am I wrong? I usually sf at 5% except for my facial bar been doing it at 8%, but hubby has complaining it leaves him oily so I wanted to change it. I have several recipes I use, but it's usually Veg shortening, coconut, olive, castor & cocoa butter or shea/mango. I do add salt sometimes before I add lye, but maybe I should be adding more to it? What about doing a all coconut bar? I was so desperate last night we were browsing in the soap isle looking for a detergent bar to use, but came up empty. Any help would be great :)

I think sometimes people confuse "oily" feeling with the glycerin remaining in homemade soap. Perhaps the addition of some clays would give your soap more "slip"... A high percentage of castor oil may feel "sticky". A 100% coconut oil bar leaves my skin feeling dry, even if superfatted at 8%, because of the cleansing properties of CO. For me, I have to balance the CO with other oils. A higher SF does not necessarily leave the skin feeling "oilier" - it depends on the other ingredients and amounts used in the soap. Many people report olive oil soaps as feeling "slimy" to them although I personally don't agree with that assessment. A "detergent" bar may strip the skin of oils leaving it feeling powdery and dry.

As a noob to soapmaking, I really like to use soap calc to ponder the properties of the oils I am using individually and collectively in a formula. So far, it's been a great tool to helping me predict the properties of the soap I am making. Varying the amounts makes a big difference in the "feel" of the soap. If your husband's skin is oily, perhaps a soap with a higher cleansing value to offset the conditioning would be more amenable to him.

When I use castor it's normally around 5% never more. I don't use it all the time in my soap though. I don't have any problems with slip in my soap either, but with castile it's always slimy. 100% coconut oil bars I do 15-20% sf, though I love salt bars even more! I actually love using my 0-1% laundry bars. On those facial bars I use 25% coconut so I'm not sure if going higher would work, because even when I use them sometimes they are drying to my face. I worship soapcalc lol.

Have you tried tussah silk? Sugar ?? Clay might work. I superfat at least 7% and higher for some soaps.

Haven't tried silk yet, but I have tried sugar & don't use it all the time. I don't have any problems with lather though, just the scum on the skin and tub. I have used clay in the past though. I guess I'll have to try a few things to figure this out. I did find some stuff on citric acid so I think I will give that a go too. Thanks everyone :)