3 ounces of FO per pound???

EccoLights

While doing some listings over there on Etsy, I got sidetracked and started browsing around at the competition :shocked2: and saw this:

"Other sellers claim to have "highly scented" tarts, but only use 1 1/2 ounces of fragrance oil per pound, some maybe 2 ounces. I use right at THREE OUNCES PER POUND and figured out a secret to making my soy wax take it all in! I use well over the max suggested (pure uncut fragrance oils). It is expensive for me to do this, yet I sell for much less than most others because I want everyone to be able to enjoy the wonderful scents of warmed soy wax."

So here's my question and I'm pretty sure I already know the answer....

1. Is this possible? 3 oz FO per pound?? And still be "Soy" not blended?

Oh and my second point...I now remember why I don't go trolling Etsy much anymore LOL

*Btw, I so hope this isn't someone on this board, If so... I'm sorry*

Edited by EccoLights
  • Like 3

I googled... they are selling for about $3 each and they are "American Grown" soy which I assume would be either Golden Brands or EcoSoya. (or both)

Well darn it... I was trying not to "call out" anyone here LOL DAMN YOU GOOGLE!

And yes, they were going for $3.00

haha! I'm just nibby, and was interested in how much less they are selling than the 'others' I didn't post their company name.

Oh I know =)

And I agree, this is just a little overkill but what a prime example of some of the things that others will say to make them sound "better" then the rest...

I should really just get back to listing things and not looking so much... Now I'm debating our price LOL

I've been able to get 3 oz pp in a paraffin blend for tarts. Don't try to burn that though, it will 'shroom every wick on the market.

I haven't tested the tarts too much but it seems the higher FO load only makes for a stronger sent, but doesn't last much longer than the lighter FO load. I'm guessing that the MP of the wax and the temp of the warmer has a lot to do with how long it lasts.

Edited by EricofAZ

When I have people asking if I add a lot of fragrance to my candles, I replay "I add the max amount that the wax is rated to hold. If there is too much it won't mix in well and is a fire hazard". They usually are very interested in hearing that. It helps them realize that you cannot add too much fragrance and to think about the way the candle makers list their wax usage as "more than everyone else".

IMO most people who sell below everyone else and taking less profit is usually just in it as a hobby. They also may live close to suppliers so they save on shipping, which cuts a big chunk of cost out.

When I have people asking if I add a lot of fragrance to my candles, I replay "I add the max amount that the wax is rated to hold. If there is too much it won't mix in well and is a fire hazard". They usually are very interested in hearing that. It helps them realize that you cannot add too much fragrance and to think about the way the candle makers list their wax usage as "more than everyone else".

IMO most people who sell below everyone else and taking less profit is usually just in it as a hobby. They also may live close to suppliers so they save on shipping, which cuts a big chunk of cost out.

We get asked that all the time as well and our answer sounds similar to yours. Off topic a bit but I just had to say that living close to a supplier is the only way I know we could do what we do at our cost... I feel bad for those that have to ship wax and jars mostly... Really wax wasn't too bad but I checked on some jars recently and the shipping was almost the same as the cost of the jars! WOW!

While I was checking around on etsy since eccolights posted the 3 oz./lb. nonsense...I found something else just as funny. Here is the quote in their ad for red Apple Jack 'n Peel soy tarts. I think she is trying to say she doesn't use UV Inhibitor but...she makes it sound like her fragrance oil and red dye are natural. LOL

**After melting the tart, the edges of the melted wax may turn white. This is because my tarts are completely natural, and no chemicals are added to help them retain their color.

While I was checking around on etsy since eccolights posted the 3 oz./lb. nonsense...I found something else just as funny. Here is the quote in their ad for red Apple Jack 'n Peel soy tarts. I think she is trying to say she doesn't use UV Inhibitor but...she makes it sound like her fragrance oil and red dye are natural. LOL

**After melting the tart, the edges of the melted wax may turn white. This is because my tarts are completely natural, and no chemicals are added to help them retain their color.

Anyone has a link to this Etsy Bull-esser? "My tarts are completely natural"?? It all sounds like a big crock of crap, lol

Ok, have no idea how great they smell, but those are some homely little things to look at, ya think? And the seller must be really proud of her product; the listing reads like all you get is one little square for $0.80 - am I correct?

If each little cube comes from the 6-cavity clamshell, and you want the whole clamshell, that'd be close to $5 a piece.... ouch, kinda steep, a bit of a rip, huh?

Also, the seller makes those statements that give me headaches, statements like "all natural and no chemicals are added...". So how does she get them to smell like Apple jacks and Peel? What gives them the red color? Does she squeeze some red delicious apples in that recipe? Sorry, I do not mean to sound like a beotch; it's just that this devil is sitting right here beside me and he just won't shut up!.... yup, the devil made me do it:laugh2::laugh2:

Ok, I will behave now.

Ok, have no idea how great they smell, but those are some homely little things to look at, ya think? And the seller must be really proud of her product; the listing reads like all you get is one little square for $0.80 - am I correct?

If each little cube comes from the 6-cavity clamshell, and you want the whole clamshell, that'd be close to $5 a piece.... ouch, kinda steep, a bit of a rip, huh?

Also, the seller makes those statements that give me headaches, statements like "all natural and no chemicals are added...". So how does she get them to smell like Apple jacks and Peel? What gives them the red color? Does she squeeze some red delicious apples in that recipe? Sorry, I do not mean to sound like a beotch; it's just that this devil is sitting right here beside me and he just won't shut up!.... yup, the devil made me do it:laugh2::laugh2:

Ok, I will behave now.

Again a prime example of why we don't browse any of the E sites much... LOL Then again I guess it could be good therapy... they say humor is good for you, right?