Please nobody say, "I told you so!"...lol

So here's the dilemma.I've been using advanced for a year or so.It's the only soy I've tried.The first 5 or so f.o's I tested yielded awesome results!(All Peaks oils)I have gotten some really good throw with it and it makes such lovely looking candles.Though as everyone has said since the beginning of my testing,some f.o's just don't work in it.I have tested tons and tons of diff scents from diff companies and it's really hit and miss.(Maybe I had beginners luck with the first f.o's)I'm starting to feel like I need more consistent results because i'm spending a small fortune on oils that are total duds,even after over a month of curing time!So,I started blending a paraffin into it to hopefully help the throw.At first 25%,then 30%,then 45%,still not getting what I was wanting.Then I started getting pissed.I didn't want to use paraffin at all but I was getting desperate!I'm starting to feel like i'm bending over and advanced is letting me have it!!I'm quite torn because i'm feeling like throwing in the advanced towel and starting testing all over again with a new wax,which makes my stomach hurt after all the wick testing I had to do in the advanced to get it right)I guess my question is have any of you spent a great deal of time and money on a specific wax to just turn your back on it and move on?My husband thinks i'm a nut for sticking with it this long...but what can I say..i'm noble AND stubborn!What would you all do?

Was in that same boat, one either sticks with it and just uses those FOs that work or you start all over again. I started all over again with 464. That said, there are still some FOs that don't work in that soy wax either. I am not switching again (C3 or 415), well, not yet anyway. What I am doing is keeping the 464 and the FOs that work with it and working on a paraffin line as well. I figure learning both systems can't be a bad thing so I am working with 4630 too. It so nice not to have to deal with frosting and no throws and the whole frustration thing went away. Now I can work on the soy as time permits and yet feel that I can make a successful candle with a variety of FOs.

If you are committed to soy (which it sounds like you are not) then try another soy wax but research it well. Or plug away with the CB-A and try a paraffin too.

CB advanced in my opinion is not designed for great HT- it looks good but doesnt smell. I used it for a short time as well and then moved on to cb135, which is a great wax and I am now using 464. Much better HT but it has its quirks to- you are probably best to decide what is most important to you in a candle and research what suits best and stick with it for awhile to learn about it and play with temps and fo loads and wicks

I use CBA w/ fo's from CS that I know throw well because I love the look of it and the way it takes to color...however I am now testing my 3rd soy wax based on scent throw alone and will not be adding color (at least not till I master the wick, burn, looks, and characteristics of it). IMO, CBA is a dream to work with compared to soy or C3 but I will probably continue to work with CBA and C3 just for the variety of it...

You are caught in the devil's bargain... CBA is the most beautiful soy wax on the market, hands down. It's like a gorgeous man or woman with no character and no brains. Its HT is flakey, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day... LOL

If I were making lightly scented candles or unscented ones, CBA would be my choice. But for candles with a pleasing countenance and a very good HT in most FOs, I chose NatureWax C3. GW 464 is a close runner-up to C3, but it doesn't perform quite as well, IMHO. If I wanted a soy that had great throw and I didn't care if it looked like cellulite defined, I would choose GW 415, which has the best HT of all the soy waxes on the market.

People have been blending these waxes in all kinds of percentages for years and the consensus is that if you get enough of another wax into CBA for it to throw more reliably, its good looks go down the drain like a beauty queen on crack.

Pick your poison and learn how to make it work the best that it can. If you choose to stay with CBA, embrace the flakey HT. If you choose to stay with 415, embrace the lunar landscape appearance. If you choose C3, you can get most of what you want most of the time if you play your cards right, the ducks all line up straight and there is a planetary alignment. There just isn't a "perfect" soy wax out there at this time to my knowledge...

Edited by Stella1952

Thanks for the responses everyone!I think what I will do is get a couple lbs of other soys

and see what I think!If I don't like them,I can always go back.If I decide to switch all together,then at least i'll have 50 lbs of tea-lights at my disposal!:laugh2:

Seriously though,I don't mind working out the kinks of the appearances of other waxes.At least I might actually get somewhere with that,as opposed to me beating my head against the wall getting absolutely nowhere to improve the ht of my advanced!It's like i'm caught in a bad romance with this wax!Sometimes it's super sweet and tells me i'm pretty but mostly it just bitches and doesn't do the dishes!!:laugh2:Thanks again folks!