Long time reader, first time poster

Well, okay, I've only been reading for a week or so, but if I add up all the hours I've spent here in the past week, I'm sure it adds up to a lot! lol

Anyways, I have always loved candles, and have wanted to learn to make them for years. I recently got a wild hair, and decided to move beyond wishing, and I actually ordered some supplies. I wasn't quite sure what I needed, so I ordered a starter kit for soy jar candles from Lone Star Candle Supply. Is it lame to start from a kit? I hope not!

Does anyone have any tips they can share for a first attempt at making candles? I look forward to learning from all of you :cheesy2:

Welcome, Periwinkle! It wasn't lame at all to order a start kit. I really cannot help you much with soy candles as I use paraffin and, on occasion, parasoy. Search the archives, use the search feature and you will find loads of info. You'll be reading for at least a whole month straight!

Enjoy your start kit and have fun :-)

I started out with a soy candle making kit and love it! I have only made one batch of soy candles so far but hope to make some more this evening. I still have one candle to test out for the first time! It's so much fun and is definitely a learning process. Just have fun with it :)

Welcome!! I see noting wrong with starting with a kit, many people do. There are 3 main kinds of wax that people commonly use, vegetable (soy, palm), paraffin, and blends (paraffin and soy). Each of these waxes have their champions and detractors here but in the end it comes down to which wax you like to work with. Vegetable waxes can be somewhat harder to work with than paraffin in the areas of physical properties (how they look) and in what fragrance oils (FO) work well with them. You'll see many posts stating that there was not hot throw (HT) in the veggie wax postings. The good sides is that there are hundreds of FO to chose from and if one doesn't work another may. The physical appearance of soy can, for the most part, be fixed by technique or additives. Paraffin wax has less of these issues but is not considered "green" as it is a petroleum product, however, I think it is a good wax for newcomers to start with unless they are determined to work with soy.

The good part is that there is SO MUCH info on this board that by reading and conversing a newbie should be able to get up to speed fairly quickly.

Enjoy your kit, take notes and pictures because when you post your first question people will be asking for details so that they can help you.

Welcome!! I see noting wrong with starting with a kit, many people do. There are 3 main kinds of wax that people commonly use, vegetable (soy, palm), paraffin, and blends (paraffin and soy). Each of these waxes have their champions and detractors here but in the end it comes down to which wax you like to work with. Vegetable waxes can be somewhat harder to work with than paraffin in the areas of physical properties (how they look) and in what fragrance oils (FO) work well with them. You'll see many posts stating that there was not hot throw (HT) in the veggie wax postings. The good sides is that there are hundreds of FO to chose from and if one doesn't work another may. The physical appearance of soy can, for the most part, be fixed by technique or additives. Paraffin wax has less of these issues but is not considered "green" as it is a petroleum product, however, I think it is a good wax for newcomers to start with unless they are determined to work with soy.

The good part is that there is SO MUCH info on this board that by reading and conversing a newbie should be able to get up to speed fairly quickly.

Enjoy your kit, take notes and pictures because when you post your first question people will be asking for details so that they can help you.

I am shocked at how much info this site has! It is truly a wealth of information. I was already excited about trying my hand at making candles, but as I read, and looked at pics of candles that others have made, I have been imagining all the possibilities before me. Taking notes is a good idea, I hadn't really even though of that. I guess I should go buy a notebook before I get started.

Paraffin wax has less of these issues but is not considered "green" as it is a petroleum product, however, I think it is a good wax for newcomers to start with unless they are determined to work with soy.

I actually do consider Paraffin to be greener than soy or palm, but that's a topic for another thread. lol