Brand Spankin' New!

Hello everyone! My name is Claire, I'm seventeen and from South Florida. I've been perusing the boards for the past few days, and I'm happy to finally be making a post!

I'm quite new to making candles. I decided a few days ago that I was tired of buying Slatkin & Co three-wicks at Bath & Body Works for over $20 a piece when I could be working on a new skill and ending up with a potentially better product!

So today I headed over to Michael's (against my better judgement) to pick up the basics for a quick experiment. After much deliberation, I settled on a two-pound block of "creme wax". This choice was mostly dependent on price, as I didn't want to invest too much in a hobby I wasn't sure I would love. I haven't seen this type of wax mentioned in the boards that I've read, but I'd love to hear your thoughts. Is it vegetable, paraffin.. a blend?

I also picked up some dye chips in primary colors (the only option), a few short zinc wicks (again, all that was available), five glass jars in various shapes, and three scented oils in cinnamon, vanilla and pomegranate. I didn't expect to like these very much, but they were not bad.

Overall, I'm pleased with my first candle! It is red and cinnamon-scented, in a spherical sort of fishbowl-like container. I have not burned it yet, but it looks and smells pretty good cold. I can post a photo if anyone is interested!

Anyway, I'm totally loving it! I'm ready to embark on my first online shopping trip, and I'd love some suggestions!

As far as FOs go, I'd love a great pumpkin, apple, cranberry, and some sort of cupcake-y buttercream scent. I'd also love to find a chocolate-peppermint if there are any good ones around! I also adore the scent of the Slatkin "Leaves" candle but I have not been able to find any suggestions for a duplicate. I've heard great reviews of CS Pumpkin Soufflee which seems to be rather difficult to work with? I can't WAIT to hear what everyone has to say.

Accordingly, I'm totally lost on what sort of wax to use, there seem to be so many options. I'm open to soy or paraffin, the only thing important to me would be a strong scent with decent throw. I'm only planning on making filled candles.

What, in your opinion, would be the best supplies for me to buy my first time shopping?

I'm so glad to be here!

Hi Claire, glad you're having fun.

Michaels is OK to start with. Sometimes it is fun to look at the books they have and stuff they sell. They'll get you to your first candle. To go beyond that and give Slatkin a run for the money, there are some better places to buy.

Depends on where you live. Usually, a supplier near you has cheaper shipping so that's a huge consideration even if the price is a few pennies more. You might want to check out a kit from one of the more standard suppliers. Peaks, lonestar, PalmBeach Candles, etc. Learn the lingo and definitions so you can follow the comments in the forum.

I'd suggest you use a good quality wax. Most can be bought in 10 pound sizes or less which is fine to start out with. Starting with paraffin is easier. If you want to make containers, consider something popular like Harmony wax or IGI 4786 or J50. The J50 is kinda gloppy or oily to work with, less so the harmony and the 4786 is dry to the touch.

Some of the kits have boiler pots and thermometers. Whatever you do, stick with quality and candle approved products. Anything else is like tossing that $20 bill out the window.

Come share with us and I'm sure everyone here will be helpful.

Welcome to candlemaking Florida! Its fun to learn how to make candles but it can turn into a very expensive hobby.

I started out using the J waxes; J223 then J50. They are both paraffin wax for making container candles. They have an awesome scent throw both hot and cold and are easy to work with. I like the scent throw a bit more from J223 but the J50 is also good and is a better one pour wax.

Starting out with paraffin helped me move on to soy after a while. Soy is a much more finicky wax and can be hard to work with because of frosting and rough top issues typical to soy. But patience pays off and soy can make a beautiful candle.

Its best to read as much as you can about the different kinds of waxes then decide which you want to use. That will make it easier choosing your wax. Then try to stick with it until you master that wax. I see a lot of newbies lose patience and move onto another wax before they learn how to use the first one. Then they get frustrated with the new wax and don't understand why they can't get a good candle out of it. Its not always the wax, its the experience of the candlemaker and the patience to test and retest until you learn to make a good candle.

Good luck and happy candlemaking!

Edited by Candybee

the only thing important to me would be a strong scent with decent throw

Welcome! You picked a good time, there are several new members lately and a lot of good information on this board! Remember as you make your decisions though that to acheive "a strong scent with decent throw" you have to learn from the ground up. You'll be able to acheive this only if you are using quality products and your 'system' works. As in (for example), if you don't learn what is the right wick for the wax you are using, you won't be happy with the throw. So, you have a lot of testing to do. Just don't get discouraged - we've all had results that were less than satisfactory, especially in the beginning. The main thing is keep lots of notes and learn from mistakes! It's a lot of fun, and we look forward to trying help you on your journey!

Thanks so much for your suggestions! I'm happy to finally have a starting point to begin researching.

These boards are such a gold mine of information.

I actually live in Palm Beach! Does Palm Beach Candles have a main shop or a base location where I could go pick things up? Is it a highly recommended supplier? That would save me so much on shipping!

Edit: Never mind, it's in Texas. Depressing.

Edited by Florida

As a new person I would suggest that you look at Natures Garden. They have kits, and lots of fragrances. Their shipping is reasonable for fragrances. If you are on facebook they have a very active facebook group too. Don't go crazy buying fragrances. Pick 4 or 5 that you like and no more. Wax and glassware is what you will need to find locally, shipping is so high on heavy wax these days.

I'll see how this creme wax works out for me, and if I'm satisfied I will probably continue to use it out of convenience.

I ended up purchasing five small fragrances from CS:

Pumpkin Souffle

Apple Harvest

Creme Brulee

Cranberry Marmalade

Mistletoe

I chose Banana Nut Bread as my sample.

Thoughts?

Welcome to the forum Florida. You may want to look at suppliers closest too you as the cost of wax, even with shipping ends up being less than what retail stores like Michaels. CS is a good supplier and you may be able to get your wax from there. But I recommend testing with quality ingredients from the beginning. We have a few Florida members on the board, they may be able to assist you.