Labeling Melt and Pour Soaps

AnnieD

If I were to sell my melt and pour soaps, am I required to include ingredients (soap base, fragrance oil, soap dye) on the label? I will be making no claims such as moisturizing, healing, etc. Just plain soap.

I couldn't find a recent thread about this. Thanks

I always list all the ingredients in my soap on the label. You'd be surprised how many people can be allergic to a specific ingredient; coconut oil, glycerin, etc. Some won't use any soap with titanium dioxide in it used to whiten soap and present in all opaque bases.

You are not required by law to list your ingredients but why take a chance. If you plan to sell its better to be safe than sorry.

Edited by Candybee

My supplier provided me with a list of ingredients for all of the M&P bases. So when I put together my label, I didn't call it "Melt & Pour", but instead called it "Soap Base" and then in parentheses behind it listed the ingredients the supplier provided, then followed with my fragrance, color, etc. Next time I might just drop the "Base" part and simply call it "Soap".

I'm curious how to list ingredients in order when you add stuff to the base. I usually just add goat milk and glycerin, both of which are already listed as ingredients...but I made a batch with oatmeal and honey also. Where do I put them in the list of ingredients?